WWYD - Transverse Lie - Version or Section? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-06-2010, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, first off, I know that baby-DS has time to turn head down still (I'm almost 33 weeks). And we are really hoping he will. I've been doing the inversion exercise from Spinning Babies in hopes of assisting this. (As an aside, I just don't feel comfy with chiropractic work.)

Anyway - my OB said if he is still transverse at 36 weeks, we could schedule an external version for sometime after 37 weeks (as long as there isn't anything preventing baby from turning, i.e. cord/placenta). She seemed to think we had a good chance of success (simply transverse lie and 2nd baby). However, there are risks (and I've done some research)... going into labor, rupture of membranes, baby's heartrate not reacting well, placental abruption, PAIN. The version will be performed in the hospital and monitored with u/s, NST and heart rate monitoring. If baby doesn't react well I'd be headed for an emergency C-section.

So my question, what would everyone do? And what are your personal thoughts? If I just wait and he doesn't turn, I'm headed for a C-section around 40 weeks no matter what. No one will deliver a transverse baby, or probably even let me labor too long, its too risky that the cord could come out first.

All this wonder and consideration could be totally needless... because he could still turn. (DD was large though, 9 lbs 8 oz, so I can't help but to wonder if he could get big earlier on and not be able to turn himself.)

When I lie down I do feel that he stretches some, and is not totally transverse. However, as soon as I get up and walk around or sit up, he returns to his very tight curled up position - butt to my left, head to my right, back facing out and feet down low.

Any input would be welcome!!! My true main goal is a healthy Birth, healthy Baby and healthy Mommy at the end.

Lis ~ Married to my favorite boy partners.gif and raising "our" three ~
DS 14 (hisjammin.gif ~ DD 9 (mineloveeyes.gif ~ toddlerDS 2! (ours) bouncy.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2010, 01:34 PM

Personally, I would try ANYTHING to get him to turn. Certainly continue spinning babies. I know you said that your aren't comfortable with chiro but are you open to acupuncture? I have even heard of people using packs of frozen peas near the babies head to try to get them to turn. Good luck!

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

Old 05-06-2010, 01:55 PM

I agree with the PP that would try ANYTHING (safe) to get the baby to turn. I would continue spinning babies, try acupuncture, and you really should consider chiropractic. I am not sure why you don't feel comfortable, but it has WAY less risks that a version and is certainly safer for both you and the baby that a c-section. Research a chiro that specializes in this area (pregnancy and infants) and get recommendations from clients. We have a local chiro that doe this type of work daily and has assisted MANY women with a natural birth, even coming to their homes during labor if necessary. For myself, I would still do a trial of labor if the baby doesn't turn, but possibly have a hospital birth in case of prolapse (waters often do not break until the pushing phase and by then you would know if the baby had turned).

I hope you can find a method that you feel comfortable with and that works for you.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:06 PM

I had a version done twice during the same labor with my 4th child. Which ended in a vaginal birth. With my 5th pregnancy on the day that my version was scheduled my water broke, I was 37 weeks/6 days. Resulting in a c-section with a vertical incision. During that c-section my uterus tore,so now I have a t-incision. So my 6th child had to be a c-section. I'm pregnant with my 7th,but I really don't want another c-section. I'm going to see if there is a Dr willing to do a VBAC.
I know it's still early,but please do whatever you can to try to get the baby to turn.

: 2:Ma To 6 :12,8,7,5,2,1&
Old 05-06-2010, 02:54 PM

If you aren't comfortable with chiropractic, can you find a DO who does osteopathic manipulation in your area? My DO can work some magic, and maybe you'd be more comfortable with someone who is equivalent to an MD.

I would do anything to avoid a section.

Home water birthing, non-circing, delayed vaxing, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing Mommy to DS1 5/08, DS2 5/10 and wife to sweetest hubby ever.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would ABSOLUTELY do whatever I could find to do to get baby to turn before consenting to surgery. (Oh, and I wouldn't consent until I was in labor and we had substantiated proof baby was still transverse.)

There are lots of options. Have you had bad experience with chiropractic care? It's an absolute must for me the whole pregnancy (and in between, too!). But, as someone said, acupuncture is an option. Moxibustion? There is a MW here who does very gentle versions that aren't painful and are VERY successful. I'd look for someone like that where you are, too. And I'd do any exercises I could find - walking stairs, lunges, swimming, inversion, whatever.

Truly, I'd do absolutely everything in my power to avoid a c/s. I've been there, done that, and will NOT do it again without a very, very good reason.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:15 AM

I'm about two weeks behind you and worried that I'm going to be in a similar position (ha!) soon as this baby also doesn't seem to want to pick a position. I keep telling myself there is plenty of time.

However, today I also did some calling around to get some names and phone numbers as I don't want to wait to 36 weeks to start thinking about this. In our area, there is an acupuncturist who specializes in women's health issues who has a good success rate with pregnancy things. She does moxibustion which I will also think about. I also found a chiropractor who is well liked by a number of midwives and doulas and who accepts our insurance. I know you said that you are not crazy about chiropractic care, but it's where I plan to start--I think the key is finding someone whose style you mesh with. Maybe you would like a female practitioner with lots of experience and could get a recommendation? I've also been spending a lot of time on my hands and knees to to try to encourage movement, and I'll be stepping up those exercises if (s)he keeps being stubborn.

If we get to 37 weeks(ish) and still don't have a head down baby, I'll double up on all the above, and yes, I will definitely consider doing an external version. The key is finding someone with a high success rate and low complication rate. My midwives prefer the one of their back-up OB's who has over 30 years experience and a very high success rate. I've known people who have gone to a particular midwife or OB just for that person's success rate and then returned to their own person for the remainder of the pregnancy.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:30 AM

BTDT with a version, and I absolutely would do it again. I have also BTDT with a C/S...again I would do the version over the C/S without batting an eyelash.

With a version, you at least HAVE a chance of a vaginal birth. The pain you will feel, if any - I didn't really feel pain, just lots of pressure and got sort of pukey feeling - wont last anywhere near as long as the pain you will have to deal with recovering from your C/S.

A version takes, once they try starting to turn, about 5-15 minutes. A C/S recovery can take up to 6 weeks or longer, and the pain lasts for at least 1-2 weeks of it. Doing stairs while your belly is healing hurts like a &*(^%, getting in/out of bed the same, trying to lay down is nearly impossible...forget the ability to laugh for weeks....
Old 05-07-2010, 09:49 AM

I would try everything possible rather than going straight for a section. Up to and including the version if all else failed.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:46 AM

I would do a version first too. In fact, and I don't recommend this of course, I moved my baby into a better position countless times during this pregnancy. This is my 5th, and the baby was transverse and breech SOOO MUCH. Well past 33 weeks. I'd just wake up and the baby would be transverse, or breech!!! It was unnerving! Of course, sometimes there is a good reason the baby is breech or transverse. I was careful, but the baby just moved so easily I couldn't help myself from manipulating (again, I don't suggest it!!). I also have a fetoscope, doppler, and always checked the baby's heartrate when I was messing around. But just knowing how easily my baby moved for me - not really knowing what I was doing - I can imagine it is even simpler for someone with experience. It isn't always so easy to perform, I know, but it is worth the try I think! I am 41 weeks today and the baby has been head down since around 37 weeks.

I would rather try the version - because to me it seems worth it to try to get to have a vaginal delivery. JMO. =)

Amanda, wife to my best friend Josh, Mommy to Jenna, Lukas, Adam, Livea and Ethan!
Old 05-07-2010, 11:44 AM

I was in a similar position with my last baby, transverse/breech at 32-35 weeks

at 34 weeks my panic over a possible Csection or version led me to a chiropractor who specializes in pg women/ babies/kids .. I was nervous, but my reasearch made me less nervous about the chiro than I was about the possible csection .. I went 4-5 times before the baby started to turn..

If that had not worked I would have done the version ..

- Staci, Mommy to Mollie (3/06), Jamie (5/08), Annie (9/10) and Bently (2/13) chicken3.gif
Old 05-07-2010, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for all the responses. I really appreciate everyone taking the time to comment.

I would very much like to avoid a C-section and the recovery involved. However, when it comes to interventions, I am quite un-crunchy (I'm surprised they let me post here at MDC). I really don't feel comfortable with much of the alternative methods when it comes to my medical care (and my family's).

I've worked immersed in the medical field my entire adult life and I've come to trust it. Granted, bad things do happen, and docs and hospitals may be intervention happy, but I do trust my doctors. My waters ruptured with DD at 40w3d and I completely failed to progress, but I still went on to deliver my 9 lbs 8 oz posterior 1st baby vaginally in the hospital. Without the interventions given there, I don't think she would have come out EVER.

Anyway, mostly the risks involved with the Version scare me a bit, not so much the pain, I can handle that. I don't like the idea of it so much, and that it would be performed at 37 weeks and possibly put me into labor - taking 3 weeks off baby Caleb's cooking time - and possible turning on his own time. All of that needs to be discussed with my OB though...

I will continue with Spinning Babies exercises and lots of rocking on my hands and knees and pelvic tilts. Anyone think sitting on a birth ball would help?

Personally, I want to accept the fact that I may need a C-Section. I have a friend that had a breech baby (and did every possible intervention, exercise and old wives tale) but ended up needing a Section (and when they did the section, found baby's head QUITE stuck). She was quite traumatized by the Section, because she never let herself believe she may need one. It took her months to truly bond with the baby. She's gone on to have two HB/VBACs, and I'm very happy for her, but those few months when she was so traumatized by the birth not going as she "planned" were scary to observe. I think its good to mentally and emotionally plan for the possibility that the baby just won't be able to be born vaginally.

Anyway, again, thanks for the responses. I will continue to really hope he TURNS himself (besides the fact he can then come out the normal way, he's making it awfully tight and uncomfortable around my middle crammed in his little ball).

I'll bring the thread back up with any news at my next OB appt or if the little bugger gets a little less stubborn and gets head down!!!!

Lis ~ Married to my favorite boy partners.gif and raising "our" three ~
DS 14 (hisjammin.gif ~ DD 9 (mineloveeyes.gif ~ toddlerDS 2! (ours) bouncy.gif

Old 05-07-2010, 12:58 PM

Honestly, given the research (which I'm sure you've seen) showing how safe and effective version is, I'd balance it against the known risks and recovery time of a section and pick the version every time.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
Old 05-07-2010, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd try the version, especially since your doctor feels you have a good chance of it working. I'm also fairly un-crunchy

At 37 weeks the lungs should be mature, but your doc might be willing to double check lung maturity if it's something you're worried about. Definitely get comfortable with the fact you may need a c/s, but I'd still try the version.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:12 PM

I'm obviously going to be in the minority here, but if it were me, I wouldn't do a manual version. I might do moxibustion though. My thoughts are that sometimes baby is in an odd position for a reason. Maybe that position is the safest way for baby to be situated at this moment, or even later. I know a few people who have had versions and then regretted forcing baby into a different position.

~Shawnna~ Lucas 11/02 Wyatt 10/05
Old 05-07-2010, 01:45 PM

I did a version (it failed with DD#2, who was breech). It wasn't bad but I was also clear, no heroics, I wanted my DD to live and not have to rush off to surgery. She is sutbborn as an ox and turning wasn't in her list of things to do at the time! With DD#3, I tried chiro (webster technique) and she flipped after the first treatment, which was truly nothing painful. The chiro tapped on my one hip (they check alignment to see if that's causing the issue, no doubt it was for me, it was my shorter leg that caused the issue) and then massaged the ligament near the hip (truly no pain at all with that). I went 2-3 times to be sure and DD was turned and a VBAC. I haven't been to chiro before or since, but I would if this baby went breech. It was really not a problem. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions about chiro. I tried spinning babies with DD#2 as well to no avail.

Good luck! Oh and the section wasn't as bad as I feared, but that being said I don't really want another one! The maternal risks are higher than I'd like.

Kim, mom to DDs (10, 8, and 2) and DS born on the 4th of July.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:04 PM

Just FYI--my second baby liked to be transverse. He was still transverse at 39 weeks, but when I actually went into labor, he turned head down, so it's definitely possible. I had twins the first time, so he had lots of room in there, and since you had a big baby the first time, your baby may just have lots of room to float too. Here's hoping he turns all on his own! That said, I'd definitely try the version if I needed to!

Gayle, mom to Reagan and Ryan, 09/15/03, Cade, 12/08/05 and sweet Josiah, 05/23/10-07/16/10
Old 05-07-2010, 06:47 PM

My first was transverse at 33, 34 weeks. I started seeing a chiropractor, doing the inversions from spinning babies, bouncing on a birth ball, talking to the baby, swimming and doing hand stands in the pool ... you name it, I wanted him to turn so bad! He did within like a week. And stayed head down. My sister's kids were also transverse or breech even in like week 37 or 38, but they all turned without her doing anything. I'd say do what you can now, but if baby is still transverse at week 37, I'd still wait as long as you can before getting a version. But definitely, if it comes down to it, do the version before a c-section.

wife to DH 6/25/05, mama to DS 5/26/08 & DS2 9/1/10
Old 05-07-2010, 09:23 PM

Just another idea, and it occurred to me today...

Go swimming....

I will tell you, I swear it helped me get my baby into a better position and I am almost 40 weeks. The water totally took all tension off my body, and I could squish my uterus around and not even push on the baby at all while my belly was fully submerged. I have never done it before, as I have never been this far along during the swimming season in any of my pregnancies. The water just made everything so relaxed down there....I have had horrible pressure for days, and not while I was in the water...I was paid free...till I had to get out and the reality of the belly set back in.

As a matter of fact, if I am still pregnant next week Friday when DS1's class goes swimming, I am getting in again....
Old 05-07-2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisko15 View Post
Okay, first off, I know that baby-DS has time to turn head down still (I'm almost 33 weeks). And we are really hoping he will. I've been doing the inversion exercise from Spinning Babies in hopes of assisting this. (As an aside, I just don't feel comfy with chiropractic work.)

Anyway - my OB said if he is still transverse at 36 weeks, we could schedule an external version for sometime after 37 weeks (as long as there isn't anything preventing baby from turning, i.e. cord/placenta). She seemed to think we had a good chance of success (simply transverse lie and 2nd baby). However, there are risks (and I've done some research)... going into labor, rupture of membranes, baby's heartrate not reacting well, placental abruption, PAIN. The version will be performed in the hospital and monitored with u/s, NST and heart rate monitoring. If baby doesn't react well I'd be headed for an emergency C-section.

So my question, what would everyone do? And what are your personal thoughts? If I just wait and he doesn't turn, I'm headed for a C-section around 40 weeks no matter what. No one will deliver a transverse baby, or probably even let me labor too long, its too risky that the cord could come out first.

All this wonder and consideration could be totally needless... because he could still turn. (DD was large though, 9 lbs 8 oz, so I can't help but to wonder if he could get big earlier on and not be able to turn himself.)

When I lie down I do feel that he stretches some, and is not totally transverse. However, as soon as I get up and walk around or sit up, he returns to his very tight curled up position - butt to my left, head to my right, back facing out and feet down low.

Any input would be welcome!!! My true main goal is a healthy Birth, healthy Baby and healthy Mommy at the end.
Do you trust your OB? Is she experienced?

If that's the case, I would go for the version.

Of course, I'd try all the spinning babies, chiropracter, inversions, acupuncture, you know... all of that... first.

And then if it's a true transverse, I'd do the version before signing up for a c-section. Because if you have an experienced OB who is good at it, it's a pretty good chance for success, as a last resort. If I were going to do it, I'd get pain relief/epidural for it. I'm not a fan of epidural in childbirth, but this is a case where if the unlikely happens and you DO need an emergency c-section, at least they wouldn't have to put you under. Plus, you don't have to worry about the pain of the version.

That's what I would do.

Another option is to do a trial of labor. I'm not sure if transverse carries any special risk of prolapse, that may be something you should look into. But if you're comfortable with a TOL and your OB is comfortable with it, there is always the chance of turning during labor. The drawbacks of that would be if there is a greater risk of prolapse, also you may end up with a c-section anyway but do it with a doctor you don't like as much (if it's a "you get who is on-call" practice).

Sending you "turn baby" vibes.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

Old 05-08-2010, 12:25 AM

i did a lot of birth-ball sitting in the last 8-9 weeks of my pregnancy with DS .. i don't think it hurts anything either way and would be totally worth a try ...

- Staci, Mommy to Mollie (3/06), Jamie (5/08), Annie (9/10) and Bently (2/13) chicken3.gif

User Tag List