Spotting at 16 dpo, BFP at 13 dpo - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 05-11-2010, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, so I'm freaking out. Yesterday I had my appt and the doc did a pelvic exam. I felt great all night, but this morning when I went to the bathroom, I had brown on the paper. It's been there every time I've gone to the bathroom. I have NO cramping of any kind. I feel fine...I don't really feel anything at all... The doc did prescribe me progesterone yesterday but the pharmacy wasn't going to have it ready til late, so I decided to just pick it up today... Oh, and my temp is still high... Can anyone with experience give me some advice? Thanks!

This is my first pregnancy after TTC for nearly 2 years...

So thankful for my DH and beautiful DD (21 months TTC, now 4 months old)  TTC #2 while BF 
I am one lucky lady!
#2 of 17 Old 05-11-2010, 10:12 AM

CONGRATS GRAPES!!!!!!

it is extremely common to have spotting after a pelvic exam (or sex) when pregnant because there's extra blood flow to the area. don't worry! i know so many preggos who experienced this, and very few who didn't, so i would say it is extremely normal. i am at 13 weeks, saw the baby via u/s and heard the heartbeat via doppler, and i am having spotting after sex or vaginal exams, so... no worries!

if you have bright red blood with cramping/flow, that's something to call your doc about, but brown spotting after a pelvic is so normal that my midwife reminds patients about it during exams.

fuzmalesling.giffemalesling2.GIF mama to my spunky little girl, m, born 12/10/07 blahblah.gif, and my sweet little guy, k, born 10/27/10 babyf.gif
nocirc.gif familybed2.gif cd.gif homebirth.jpg nak.gif
#3 of 17 Old 05-11-2010, 10:21 AM

I've been there, done that, with all three of my pregnancies that have continued on. The brown spotting after a pelvic, sex, etc. Started as brown, stayed brown, lightened up and went away. It's scary! However, it's also often normal. With my losses, and of course, many people have a different experience, the bleeding began as pink and quickly turned to bright red. Best of luck!!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#4 of 17 Old 05-11-2010, 10:30 AM
LZP

GrapesBunch!!!! First, Congratulations!!!! I remember you from The One, and our weightloss while TTC thread! (that sort of died, didnt it?!)
HUGE Congratulations.

and secondly, I had spotting for I think 4+ weeks with this little one. Actually, I had barely any symptoms (which I complained about daily on the BSL Graduate thread!) and spotting. I was seeing an RE so I had 3 early U/S, and all looked fine, they couldnt even find a SCH. But, it was scary. I can totally relate. I even had some red, and some clots, but no significant cramping. Everything is so far so good here at 27 weeks!

Good luck, and as hard as it is, try not to worry too much, and bask in the glow. Your pregnant!! Or, use the mantra that someone else here at MDC shared with me: "Today, right now, I am pregnant." it helps.

The babymoon isn't over! Our long awaited A born 7/18/10, making us laugh and smile every day.
#5 of 17 Old 05-11-2010, 10:50 AM

So common in the first trimester, especially after a pelvic exam.

Relax. Take it easy. Meditate. Stay away from Google.

I'm sure you know the drill-- if it's bright, red, and/or accompanied by cramping, get thee to the ER. If it's brownish, and no pain, try your hardest not to worry. My cousin had spotting for like three months, and has a beautiful six-week old baby boy right now.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#6 of 17 Old 05-11-2010, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you ladies! That makes me feel so much better! I barely had anything the last time I went to the bathroom. I will pick up my progesterone today and start using it tonight, and I have an appt for more blood work tomorrow to make sure everything is fine.

Thanks so much for the peace of mind!

So thankful for my DH and beautiful DD (21 months TTC, now 4 months old)  TTC #2 while BF 
I am one lucky lady!
#7 of 17 Old 05-11-2010, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly1101 View Post

Relax. Take it easy. Meditate. Stay away from Google.
You sound like my DH! Google was my biggest friend and enemy while TTC...I'm sure it's still the same! LOL!

I am one lucky lady!
#8 of 17 Old 05-11-2010, 10:57 AM

the ONLY time I spotted this pregnancy was just after ovulation and then right after my pelvic exam.

Luckily, my doctor was nice enough to tell me while doing it that I WAS going to spot. As she put it... my cervix was so engorged there was no way she could have touched it without it bleeding.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#9 of 17 Old 05-11-2010, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Well, the doctor did tell me that I may spot, but I didn't at all yesterday afternoon or evening...just this morning. He even told me to use my progesterone rectally since it may cause me to spot some and freak out...LOL!

Thank you so much everyone! You've made my day 100% better and happier!

I am one lucky lady!
#10 of 17 Old 05-11-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrapesBunch View Post
Well, the doctor did tell me that I may spot, but I didn't at all yesterday afternoon or evening...just this morning. He even told me to use my progesterone rectally since it may cause me to spot some and freak out...LOL!

Thank you so much everyone! You've made my day 100% better and happier!
mine took a while to come out too... i had the appointment in the morning and got the spotting at my 1am pee run.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#11 of 17 Old 05-11-2010, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

OK... I got home a little after 4 and fell asleep on the couch for the next few hours. After waking up, I ate some dinner DH had brought home and laid on the couch with him til I went to bed. I'm sure I went to the bathroom before bed but I think I probably only went once or twice between the appt and this morning.

I am one lucky lady!
#12 of 17 Old 05-11-2010, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Oh...and the fact that my BBT is still high is a good sign, right?

I am one lucky lady!
#13 of 17 Old 05-11-2010, 11:43 AM

sure but you need to stop taking your temp because a sudden drop will worry you and more often than not... it will be nothing to worry over.

#14 of 17 Old 05-11-2010, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

OK...I will stop. Thanks, Mae...you're a gem!

I am one lucky lady!
#15 of 17 Old 05-21-2010, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quick question...you ladies helped me out so much last time...

The doc put me on Progesterone suppositories as a just in case measure since I did have a bit of trouble spotting before my periods and had a twinge of brown at 14 dpo. He told me to take them rectally since using them vaginally can cause irritation and some spotting...and didn't want me to freak out...

So I've been on them for almost 2 weeks now. I've noticed that when I have a BM the next morning that I have a little bit of white and what looks kinda like oil floating on the water. I did notice once earlier in the week that some appeared orangish...after eating a delicious anniversary dinner at an Italian restaurant. Last night DH made a special birthday dinner for me which included a pasta salad. I didn't eat much of it, but had terrible gas after eating, just like earlier in the week after eating the Italian food...with pasta of course. This morning I went to the bathroom several times and every time, whether I just had gas or a BM, I had orange oily looking stuff floating on the water. Is this a really bad sign? Has anyone heard of this? Or is there a chance just the suppositories are kinda oily and causes it?

Also, I freaked last night because when I went to the bathroom I had some blood in my panties...about a nickel size spot. DH said it looked brown but I thought it looked red. When I wiped, there was nothing... I do admit that the panties were a pinkish/salmon color so it was truly hard to know what color it really was. I haven't had any cramps other than from gas...but no pain or any more discharge since that. Any theories on that? Normal?

I've called my doctor and left a message...just want some peace of mind.

Oh, and my ultrasound is Monday.

I am one lucky lady!
#16 of 17 Old 05-21-2010, 12:47 PM

The progesterone supps are definitely oily! Yellowish and oily. I took mine vaginally, but had very similar experiences, just from a slightly different locale. Good times. The extra hormones can cause more gas, bloating, etc, regardless of where you put them.
Your symptoms sound normal to me. Congrats and lots of good wishes for Monday!

Happily muddled mom to baby Kiki, 11/2010

#17 of 17 Old 05-21-2010, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much, tinynyota! Makes me feel so much better.

I am one lucky lady!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page