Crazy Nipple Pain During Pregnancy - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-13-2010, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am experiencing crazy nipple pain with pregnancy #2. I get shooting, searing pain in my nipples and they are so sore most of the time that I can't let anything near me.

I'm wearing a good bra, day and night and I haven't breastfed since February.

Any suggestions?
#2 of 5 Old 05-13-2010, 10:35 PM

I had that with my second pregnancy. Luckily I haven't had it this time. And it did not last beyond my pregnancy, thankfully. It is SO painful. I was told it is called Raynaud's syndrome. The only thing that helped me was to keep my breasts very warm. I wore a fleece bra-top thingy under my shirt that whole pregnancy. Vests, too. Anything to keep them warm. Sometimes I had to heat one a rice sock up and use it against my chest. I hope you find something that works for you.

Kim. My heart is full! Wife to Ray, Mama to 3 boys!  "Big C", our boy with designer genes, "Little C", and "Baby M" 11/2010.
#3 of 5 Old 05-13-2010, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Yeah, I have that. And I'm still nursing. This is the only time I've cried while nursing.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#4 of 5 Old 05-14-2010, 02:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes, definitely vasospasms.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...blanching.html

Raynaud's can cause it, but so can trauma. I have had it during pregnancy and while BFing. Warmth is very important. I was always in pain if I got too cold while pg! And it may just be because I'm sipping Natural Calm as I type, but magnesium may help... Cal/Mag is okay, but mag is often more deficient and harder to replace. Natural Calm is a great type.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#5 of 5 Old 05-14-2010, 02:25 AM

Yup, Raynaud's. I've had episodes of it since i was a teenager, and it recurred more problematically during pregnancy. I think mine tends to be associated with breast fullness....when they were growing a lot as a teen, or swollen due to menstrual hormones, or growing due to pregnancy. And sure enough, it's come back recently. Suuuuuucks. I call it the purple nurples.

Raynaud's tends to affect extremities (hands/feet, and apparently nipples) in response to cold, but not necessarily cold of that area. Keeping warm in general helps. I've taken to wearing more layers on my torso than I might otherwise to prevent it when I'm exercising in colder weather. I had a football player (I'm an Athletic Trainer) who needed to wear a wool cap/neckwarmer whenever possible to keep his hands from losing circulation.

TMI solution...DH has been willing to "help" draw blood back into them. It's pretty instantly relieving.

Co-sleeping, Breastfeeding, EC'ing, Baby-wearing, Homebirthing mama to two fabulous girls 6/2007 and 8/2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page