Cleaning the coop? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 05-16-2010, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anybody know if it's safe to clean out the chicken coop while pregnant? My ND says she doesn't recommend it but I can't find any reason not to. Shoveling out the shavings is kind of dusty so I always wear a particle mask and gloves. I go in there every day to collect eggs and feed and water, anyway. Thoughts?
#2 of 15 Old 05-16-2010, 12:04 PM

I was wondering the same thing! My husband has been doing it because I have been too nauseous to deal with it (I'm 12 weeks today). My chickens miss me!!!

I tried researching it online but couldn't find anything. I'll ask my midwife what she says when I see her next but that won't be for a few weeks.

8/2008, 1/2009 and 5/2009... Expecting first baby November 28ish, 2010!!!! So excited!
#3 of 15 Old 05-16-2010, 12:17 PM

I cleaned mine 2 days ago....didn't know I maybe shouldn't?!

SAHM married to with twin boys  and a girl .  

#4 of 15 Old 05-16-2010, 01:38 PM

I'm due on Saturday, and I've cleaned mine the whole time. I don't know what would be dangerous about it.
#5 of 15 Old 05-16-2010, 02:27 PM

I don't see why not, assuming you wash your hands and change your clothes when you're done. I butchered 5 chickens yesterday Dh shovels the pen out when it's time, but just because it kills my back.
#6 of 15 Old 05-16-2010, 03:21 PM

I don't see why it would be a problem. As long as you don't lick your fingers afterwards

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

#7 of 15 Old 05-16-2010, 03:45 PM

I think especially since it is a 'normal' thing to do and not a new experience/exposure there should be no issue. 30 weeks on Tuesday and doing the cleaning myself, no probs.
Interesting note, my coop smell has not bothered me even at the height of my morning sickness. My friends coop however makes me want to gag still. Thinking it is one of those things where you are ok with funk you know.

DH&Me  Christ follower, homeschooler, gardener, (insert lots of additional crunchiness here) chicken mama, & occasionally blogger. intactlact.gifMama of  boys 9,7,3.5,&11months....& SURPRISE jaw2.gif  expecting a BOY in November!  7 sweet-babes gone too soon.

#8 of 15 Old 05-16-2010, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

You all are awesome. Thank you for the reassurance! Now if I only I can break the habit of licking my fingers afterwards...
#9 of 15 Old 05-16-2010, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
yeah, that's a tough one.

BC Mum of three ('05, '07, '11 and #4 coming May '14!)    jumpers.gif  belly.gif 

#10 of 15 Old 05-16-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillianB View Post
You all are awesome. Thank you for the reassurance! Now if I only I can break the habit of licking my fingers afterwards...
LOL! I can't imagine not doing my farm chores! That's my exercise!
#11 of 15 Old 05-17-2010, 11:25 AM

I would say you're fine. I worked at wildlife rehab facility most of pregnancy with DD, which included cleaning up LOTS of wild bird poo (most of which was from unhealthy birds, west nile and such) and DD was born perfectly healthy. I actually think the exposure was good for her. As long as you're taking common sense safety precautions I don't see why cleaning a chicken coop should be an issue especially since I'm assuming your birds are healthy. Now if you're licking your fingers afterward, thats another story.

SAHM to Codi 1/12/08, James 11/3/10 and Connor 4/10/13 with our own personal Superhero DH/daddy

#12 of 15 Old 05-17-2010, 03:14 PM

I have been cleaning mine my whole pregnancy and I am 37 weeks didn't even think to ask if it was ok...

S Momma to:8:5:4:1.5 and: May 29 2010 loving wife to C:
:::: ::: formally mom_2_3_girls
#13 of 15 Old 05-17-2010, 06:03 PM

I've been cleaning mine, but we have only 8 birds (4 hens, 1 rooster, 3 ducks) which free-range durring the day, so it's not too bad. It would be nice to get someone else to do it, but DH is so unenthusiastic about helping that I'd rather do it myself!

I checked into safety issues early on in this pregnancy and couldn't find any reason not to.

I helped "process" 9 ducks today. My cousin and a friend of his came to help and did all the catching and throat-slitting, but I plucked a lot of feathers and pulled out a lot of innards. It was exhausting, but felt fine otherwise. I am going to finish the cleanup tomorrow. The meat-ducklings' coop did get awful stinky, and I'm looking forward to a bit smaller poultry population in the coming weeks.
#14 of 15 Old 05-17-2010, 11:53 PM

I too have the chickens! The concern is toxiplasmosis, the same problem as the litter box. Though most of us who have had cats/chickens are immune to it by now. Theoretically you can get titred for it, my doc kind of nixed that idea saying that since I had pets my whole life I was probably fine. I don't clean out either though, pregnancy is my one reprieve from poop duty but it doesn't worry me to much and DH does such a good job! I also eat sushi and lunch meat in pregnancy and definitely lick my fingers after eating soft cheese

Apprentice midwife, partner, mother to two boys 5 and 2 1/2 :::
#15 of 15 Old 05-18-2010, 10:27 AM

I cleaned out my chickens, ducks and goats the whole time I was pregnant except at the very end when I was physically sore. I also butchered ducks myself. DH will help clean out but he won't help with plucking or other gruesome tasks!

Alicia - Mother to DS (12) and finally expecting another
Living on 100 acres with the love of my life, our son, goats, chickens, ducks, a cat and 2 Chesapeakes!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page