Zofran for motion sickness - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-18-2010, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dr prescribed zofran for a plan trip we have tommorow for nausea since I get motion sickness. I usually take dramamine but can't since I am pregnant. They said it can cause drowsiness. I know zofran works really well for naseau but is it worth taking it for possible side effects. Think it will work for motion sickness? I still get boughts of naseau and morning sickness and I really don't want to puke on the plane.

Dianna environmentally educated tree hugging mom of dd 9/06 and ds 10/08 newbie dd 9/10
#2 of 4 Old 05-18-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpmercury View Post
My dr prescribed zofran for a plan trip we have tommorow for nausea since I get motion sickness. I usually take dramamine but can't since I am pregnant. They said it can cause drowsiness. I know zofran works really well for naseau but is it worth taking it for possible side effects. Think it will work for motion sickness? I still get boughts of naseau and morning sickness and I really don't want to puke on the plane.
I was given it when I had a stomach bug...personally, it didn't help me but my nausea was REALLY bad. I have a friend who's husband takes it for nausea caused by other medication (he has PTSD) and it works really well for him.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#3 of 4 Old 05-18-2010, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have heard that Zofran is not that effective for motion sickness nausea. I take promethazine, which is a different kind of anti-nausea drug, and it works great for me! It is sometimes prescribed for morning sickness but also for motion sickness. It's really cheap too.
I just flew into Denver and it was VERY bumpy and I did totally fine. It does make you really sleepy though.
I HATE the thought of throwing-up on a plane, I will do anything to avoid it!

Good luck!
#4 of 4 Old 05-19-2010, 03:33 AM

I had Zofran about six months ago when I got the stomach flu and could not stop vomiting. What they didn't tell me is that while it works great on nausea (not sure about motion sickness specifically), it can also give you a wicked headache. The doctor did NOT mention this as a side effect until I had a wicked headache after getting some in the ER, then she was like, "Oh yeah, that's a common side effect." The bottle had "may cause headache" stamped on it in big red letters when I filled my prescription.

So I had to choose between puking my guts out or having an ice pick behind my right eye. And since there isn't really anything you can take for a headache while pregnant (except tylenol, which for me is exactly as effective as nothing so I don't bother) I would use Zofran - or not - with caution. It may not effect YOU that way, but had to give my warning.

Full-time RVing wifey, TTC #1 and working towards living debt-free!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page