Picking a name that makes people frown - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 70 Old 05-19-2010, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH and I struggle with names. But we finally have one we like:

Ophelia

Problem is, the few people I've mentioned it too all seem to frown, then try to find something to say.

My mom: It starts with the word "oaf" which is like clumsy or clutsy.
My friend: Sort of tragic, isn't it? (Think Hamlet) Don't want her to die young do you? (Said in a joking way, but still!)
Another friend: Sort of hard to say, don't you think? What's the nickname? Ophie? Me: Lia, Phe or Fiona are common nicknames. Her: Like the ogre? Really? (Think Shrek)

Well, seeing as how it has taken 7 months for DH and I to decide this, I'm thinking we're not going back to square one now! So how do those of you with unusual names for your children deal with people's reactions? I mean, right now I'm pretty much thinking I won't tell anyone else until DD is here, breathing, and named, but I think people will still frown at her name and not say anything (if they are polite). I'm starting to think I should tell everyone we're naming her "Stardust" "Rainbow" or "Moonchild" just to be annoying.

I think I'm struggling in particular because with DD, everyone was like "what a great name!" "So pretty!" "Love it!"...and now we get that odd little frown for this one. Sigh. Thoughts? Support?

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#2 of 70 Old 05-19-2010, 06:38 PM

Its a beautiful name. Once she is here people will probably not give you this kind of feedback, so don't let their opinion now sway you.

My kid's name is Gwydion (another tough one with nicknames). I refused to tell anyone his name before he was born, but told people that they would doubtless find it an odd one. Most of my family was relieved that it wasn't "worse" LOL, but now they can't imagine him as any other name (and neither can I). I do get confusion from people when I tell them his name because they can't figure out what I'm saying right away. But I'm ok with that, and hopefully Gwyn will be too. I just tell 'em its like Gwendolyn only male.

The thing is that we get so excited when a name "clicks" for us that we want to share our joy with everyone . But the same names don't resonate with everyone (thank goodness). I'd advise you to keep her name close to your heart and let the comments of others roll off.

Congratulations on finding a name!
#3 of 70 Old 05-19-2010, 06:39 PM

Alas, you are Exhibit A for the mandate, "Don't share your name with anyone before the baby's born!"

Since the cat is already out of the bag, the best thing you can do from here on in is to greet all questions with "We're keeping the name private for now." and stick to it. Telling the name invites opinions, no matter how conventional the name might be. (And for what it's worth, it wouldn't even occur to me to consider Ophelia unusual.)

Hang in there.
#4 of 70 Old 05-19-2010, 06:42 PM

We had a few people having issues with Orion's name (my MIL in particular went berserk about it, had her other son do research on the worst possible mythology of Orion to tell us about, ect), and a couple with Fiona's (same Shrek references from those who disliked it).

People are a lot less rude once the baby is born and named! But a little late for those who you've already told, huh? Keeping it to yourself sounds like a good idea from the rest of those who might complain. With Fiona we never did tell MIL what her name was, but Orion did tell her about the name Fiona and we just said "that's one we are thinking of".

I remember telling some rude folks that they were welcome to conceive and grow their own child and pick a name then.

Ophelia is a very pretty name.

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
#5 of 70 Old 05-19-2010, 06:44 PM

A good friend and I were pg at the same time, gave birth within 2 weeks of one another, and spend a lot of time together socially. When people would ask about the names we were thinking of I would get the "great names" response and she would invariably get "isn't that a dog's name, from that dog movie, right", "that name is really popular for girls now (knowing she was expecting a boy)" and so on with disparaging remarks. Her DH's brother even chastised them because their son would NEVER be in any professional field with a name like the one they chose.

It's been 3 years now, they stuck with the name and once he was born the unkind comments stopped. No name is going to please everyone, but I think once the baby is born, the name will just be a part of her and no one is going to say mean things to or about a baby.

BTW I think Ophelia is lovely. There are plenty of 3 syllable names that don't get shortened, so maybe she won't have a nickname. And it starts with "O" not Oaf!!

Nikki, mama to DD and DS1 twins.gif (6/07) and DS2 babyboy.gif (10/10) 
#6 of 70 Old 05-19-2010, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarMama View Post
People are a lot less rude once the baby is born and named! But a little late for those who you've already told, huh? Keeping it to yourself sounds like a good idea from the rest of those who might complain. With Fiona we never did tell MIL what her name was, but Orion did tell her about the name Fiona and we just said "that's one we are thinking of".
Thank you for the support! Yes, the other issue is that DD (3) is happily going around telling everyone "My baby sister Ophelia kicks my mommy's tummy!" and "Baby sister's name is OPHELIA!" (Said in a loud, tell the world, shout it from the rooftop voice.) So keeping it a "secret" might be a bit of a trick. I like your line about "that's one we're thinking of", I might have to steal it. I never thought that when they said "keep it a secret" they meant "don't tell the big sister!"

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#7 of 70 Old 05-19-2010, 06:49 PM

I happen to think it's a beautiful name and as for the dieting early "joke" that is just awful, what person makes such a joke to a pregnant mama
i think you should go with your chosen name theres nothing wrong with it.

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

#8 of 70 Old 05-19-2010, 06:53 PM

The only thing that really matters is that you and your husband love the name.

FWIW, I think that it's a beautiful name.

Perpetually pregnant mother and maestra. C (7/07), C (10/08) and a player to be named later--due 9/10.
#9 of 70 Old 05-19-2010, 07:00 PM

We like uncommon names too and refuse to tell people (who'd say rude things, at least) our picks. Just act like people are weird for not liking it and/or it doesn't bother you.

Incidentally, we have a 2 month old Ophelia so yeah - we really liked the name too! Go for it! (pretty much anyone since we've had her has only made positive name comments - so there).
#10 of 70 Old 05-19-2010, 07:05 PM

I love that name!

This is why we don't share our names with others until baby is born. They were so rude during my first pregnancy that I actually enjoy watching them suffer not knowing now. They brought it on themselves!

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#11 of 70 Old 05-19-2010, 07:22 PM

I didn't TELL my MIL we weren't telling her Fiona's name, but yes I enjoyed watching her suffer through wanting a NAME for the BABY after her insanity with Orion's name.

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
#12 of 70 Old 05-19-2010, 07:28 PM

No one was happy about my DS's middle name (Danger) but I didn't care. I named him that anyway and no one complains about it now.

DS 8/4/04 "You're my best mommy in the deep blue sea!"
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35****40*
#13 of 70 Old 05-19-2010, 07:28 PM

I think Ophelia is a beautiful name!

Quote:
We had a few people having issues with Orion's name (my MIL in particular went berserk about it, had her other son do research on the worst possible mythology of Orion to tell us about, ect), and a couple with Fiona's (same Shrek references from those who disliked it).
I love your son's name I have the seven main stars from Orion tattooed on me!

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#14 of 70 Old 05-19-2010, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If you really love it.. you can just grin and bear it.

However, I don't care for it. Not only did the Ophelia in Hamlet commit suicide but..... it has the "o feel ya" connotations. Haven't we all heard that Ophelia Butt joke ? Like I.P. Freely?
#15 of 70 Old 05-19-2010, 07:57 PM

Oddly, I was getting those sorts of reactions for the name Alexander!

Ophelias a fine name... until she is in high school (and possibly not until she is in college) no one her age will have a CLUE about the connection to Shakespeare

I would avoid Fiona as a nickname though... only because it has had a recent huge up in popularity as a name. And Lia is also a great... odd but normal... nickname too!

Im sort of shocked at a complete lack of eye raising at Maeryn (Mae-Rin) which is what this little ones name will be. A few jokes though about how we are leaving DF out (his name starts with R... and myself and all three of my children are M)

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#16 of 70 Old 05-19-2010, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This is why we don't tell people the name until the baby is here. For some reason if you say it before the baby arrives people seem to think you are asking for their opinion even when you are not. After the baby arrives they seem to get their manners back.

I like the name Ophelia.
#17 of 70 Old 05-19-2010, 08:06 PM

Ophelia is a beautiful name. I had a kitty named Opheila, she was called Ophe, but it's a much better little girl name!

I know an Orion, too. Also a great name.

I mentioned some of the names I was considering on here in the hopes of getting more suggestions and instead I got some feedback that bummed me out, but in the end it's really up to us...some will love, some will hate. I agree with the PP who said not to tell...now I really know why!

ETA: Lunarlady, based on your signature you and I seem to have a LOT in common! :-)
#18 of 70 Old 05-19-2010, 08:10 PM

Ophelia is lovely, it's just unusual. People (myself included in certain foot-in-mouth episodes with friends) say stupid things to expectant parents.

Once your child is here, and she's adorable and charming and everyone adores her, they're going to start thinking Ophelia is the best name ever. They're going to love it because they love her. And yeah...the next time they encounter someone who says they're going to use the name Ophelia? They're going to say "Oh! I know a girl named Ophelia and she's the sweetest/smartest little thing! What a great name!!"

Go for it.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#19 of 70 Old 05-19-2010, 08:11 PM

First, I love the name Ophelia. I'd use it for my next daughter if it wasn't so close to DD's name (Amelia).

I agree that people are ALWAYS going to have an opinion and you're never going to please everybody. Pick the name you love and that's it. If you really wanted to shame someone, you could always mention that your daughter absolutely LOOOOOOVES the name and that's what really cemented it for you.

FWIW, my sister has a "tragic" name (Phaedra), although it's not as well known, and nobody has ever even mentioned it to her.

---Jessica---Livin' my life from A Peace.gif(1/05 ) to Z  jammin.gif(4/08 ).....and z babyf.gif(3/11)

#20 of 70 Old 05-19-2010, 09:01 PM

Last pregnancy I told my mother our girl name for the baby. She guffawed and said "you're kidding, right?" Yeah, I still haven't forgotten that.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#21 of 70 Old 05-19-2010, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I love the name Ophelia.

My kids names:

Sophia (nickname: goober)
Oliver (nickname: mudgeon)
Avery (nickname: yet to be determined)

I call my kids by the name I gave them and then have really strange pet names for them. I think you could totally get by with just calling her "ophelia" and not bothering with a nickname (or do something really bizarre )

mostly, ignore other people - it's not their kid, it's not their opinion that counts

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#22 of 70 Old 05-19-2010, 10:14 PM

I think it is a beautiful name. It sounds romantic to me and sophisticated.
#23 of 70 Old 05-19-2010, 10:34 PM

I think it is a lovely name and one I have picked (was vetoed) in the past. Gosh if you two agree to it, for it. My DH and I have trouble agreeing on names, it's such a chore!
One of my children has an unusual name "Enoch" (e-nuk) and I get looks all the time. Almost always the question "where didja get that?" It's an Old Testament name. We like the history and commonality it shares with our other son's name (Elijah). When we told my MIL what we were going to name him before he was born she said she would pay us to name him something else. (I also liked the name Ethan, but so glad we didn't use it cuz it soooo popular.)
This time around we have twins to name. For girls I am looking at Margret (for DH's g-ma) and no one likes it. I don't care for it a lot, but g-ma was a sweetie and I love the idea of honoring her. Even if you don't have super-specific reasons for loving the name, all the matters is that YOU like it. Naming is so incredibly subjective, try not to let others opinions unduly influence you.
#24 of 70 Old 05-20-2010, 03:02 AM

I think Ophelia is a beautiful name. And to me it is unusual but by no means is it odd. Just very pretty and elegant.

I am loving a very unusual name for our baby...i just know i would get some weird reactions if i started to tell...so we are going to keep it to ourselves irl.

Happy mama to my four girls S 8.15.02 , L 04.25.06 (gone at 36 weeks ) and L 3.10.07.And another rainbow! Baby C has arrived 10.26.10!
#25 of 70 Old 05-20-2010, 04:56 AM
Banned

Ophelia is on my short-list of girls' names, so I might be biased here but I love it. More importantly, you and your husband love it. It's your baby and your choice - and you've made a beautiful one (although I'm sure your brand new baby girl will be far more beautiful). Great taste, mama!

Don't let anyone make you feel like crap for loving the name you've chosen for your child. There isn't a single name in the world that everyone in your life is going to love, but like I said before - they don't have to. Congratulations!
#26 of 70 Old 05-20-2010, 09:13 AM

That is a really cool name. Forget other people!

This is why lots of mamas don't tell anyone, because most people won't make a horrible comment once the baby is already born and named!
#27 of 70 Old 05-20-2010, 09:28 AM

I have a friend named Ophelia. She's probably one of the smartest people I know, so the name will always have a positive connotation for me. Go for it!

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light. ~Dylan Thomas

<3 LBM <3 AHM <3

#28 of 70 Old 05-20-2010, 10:06 AM

I love the name! I agree w/ the PP that it's very romantic, and I (personally) love literary names.

Also, Lia is a really cute nickname.

We're having the same issue with names now that we told everyone soon-to-be DD will be Sophie... and then taking it back, saying we were thinking of some alternatives.

Every one of our friends and family have said that no other name will be as good for her as Sophie, but I say they can just shove it (and, we're not sharing our alternatives with anyone IRL... except for a few close friends).

Stick with your gut, and don't let others' frowns get you down!

Part hippie-chick, part type-A career woman, all mama. Enjoying life as a wife to my partner of 11 years, and a mama to our smarty-pants toddler, Cadence.

#29 of 70 Old 05-20-2010, 11:23 AM

I really like Ophelia

We chose not to tell with DS, even though his name isn't THAT unusual. In utero, we told everyone we were going to name him Tarzan! The only strange comment I got was from my sister (not the most tactful) who said, "Leave it to my sister the writer to name her son a verb!" :headscratch

Quote:
I do a double take every time I see your signature! I know a Lisa IRL who has a son named Orion.

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#30 of 70 Old 05-20-2010, 11:33 AM

Personally, I think it's a pretty name. But who cares what I think? Or anyone else for that matter. What matters is that YOU like it.

Not all names require a nickname. Granted, both my kids have them, but we're considering Rachel for a girl's name this time around and that doesn't lend itself to a real nickname either.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page