Personality changes during pregnancy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-21-2010, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For the past two months, I've been a nervous, panicky wreck. I question every twinge, every symptom (or lack thereof). I've been told to trust my body, but I don't know what a healthy pregnancy should feel like.

But I'm not like this. Under normal circumstances, I'm bubbly and confident and opinionated. I can be downright loud. I'm not truly afraid of much. This "scared rabbit" alter-ego is a revelation for me.

Has anyone else noticed personality changes? How are you coping with them? For BTDT moms, do you ever get back to the woman you were?

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light. ~Dylan Thomas

<3 LBM <3 AHM <3

#2 of 5 Old 05-21-2010, 03:49 PM

First off, a big to you!

I haven't noticed a big personality change for me BUT I certainly can easily become more anxious and I tend to worry more. We got a puppy in early pregnancy (companion for our older dog) and I became so protective of him. I would worry he would get hurt, etc. An eye opener of how it'll be when I am responsible for a small human being. I took it as a learning tool and that has helped. In early pregnancy for me, I was rather jumpy by the frequent twinges and aches in my uterus, for fear of a miscarriage. So I can relate to how you are feeling. Whenever I began to feel anxious, I mentally forced myself to stop by telling myself that all is well, my baby is well and this is a healthy pregnancy. That seemed to help me to calm down. Here are some more affirmations:

I radiate health and vitality
My baby is strong and healthy
My body knows how to grow a healthy baby
My body is perfectly designed to carry a healthy baby
My body nourishes and protects my baby
I make healthy choices that empower me and my family
I am safe, my baby is safe, all is well
I possess and express my faith in my body and my baby

I am using a few Hypnobabies CDs to prepare for birth and they have a Birthing Affirmations CD (for both during pregnancy and childbirth), their not hypnosis CDs just positive affirmations. Here is their description:

"It has been proven that daily affirmations repeated often can change your life by making your inner "self-talk" extremely positive! Positive thoughts create positive belief systems which can create a much easier, healthier and more comfortable pregnancy!

1) Our Birthing Affirmations track was designed to be listened to on or near your birthing day, to keep you calm, relaxed and focused on creating the easiest childbirth experience possible.

Listening to constant positive childbirth affirmations as you begin your labor is extremely comforting and allows you to enjoy your baby's birth with confidence. Can be listened to at any time by moms who are have prepared for childbirth in any way, *after 38 weeks of pregnancy ONLY*, and of course during labor.

2) Joyful Pregnancy Affirmations: Keeping a positive vision of your pregnancy and childbirth preparation is important for all expecting women, and our Joyful Pregnancy Affirmations track helps our moms do just that every day.

Listening to constant positive pregnancy and childbirth affirmations as you drive to work, clean up or play with your other children is so comforting and allows you to enjoy your pregnancy to the fullest and prepare for your baby's birth with confidence.

Can be listened to at any time; perfect for going to sleep listening to since you'll wake up with wonderful feelings of calmness and joy about your pregnancy and upcoming childbirth experience."

Hope that helps momma.

Bekah (33): Doula and CNA sharing a great life with DH for 10 yrs now, momma to DS Baron (7/10)
#3 of 5 Old 05-21-2010, 08:05 PM

No personality changes but just very very moody and more anxious than normal. I just broke down in tears -- like a sob fest in front of DH about some things that are going on with DS1. My hormones are in overdrive.
#4 of 5 Old 05-21-2010, 09:00 PM

one of my first pregnancy symptoms is a short temper that i normally don't have.. things that normally don't bother me drive me nuts.. like.. lots of things .. i just feel .. irritable? the entire time i'm pregnant .. its just not me.. and it does go away as soon as the baby comes..

- Staci, Mommy to Mollie (3/06), Jamie (5/08), Annie (9/10) and Bently (2/13) chicken3.gif
#5 of 5 Old 05-22-2010, 04:59 AM

the most common cause is mineral defficiency (especially!) and acid/alkaline balance, and hormones of course!

Get more greens, green smoothies if possible, make sure you are getting enough magnesium (loads in raw chocolate), and take a preg multi if in doubt.
An avocado a week or more, plus try some Maca and chamomile tea.

Good luck with finding a strategy!

Much Love.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page