Safe ways to de-stress during pregnancy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-23-2010, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I could really use some ideas to safely deal with high amounts of stress, its affecting my ability to eat and sleep1

thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2010, 01:58 AM

Acupuncture has really helped me through this pregnancy, both for stress and any physical things that have come up. I always feel calmer and better grounded afterwards and it's helped with allergies and I other things I don't want to take meds for. My city has several excellent community acupuncture clinics, so it's affordable for me (starting at $15). Massage is great, too (I'm a massage therapist so I might be biased). Weekly pre-natal yoga classes help get me out of my head.

A few herbal books mention motherwort tincture as safe for later pregnancy for stress (Susan Weed says 5 drops, another book up to 20 drops 3x/ day).
Old 05-23-2010, 09:27 AM

I go for a long walk by the water to ease stress. Not high tech, and a bit time-consuming, but at least it's healthy!

If you don't have a nice place to walk, there's always yoga etc. I think exercise, sleep, and drinking lots of water/fluid is the place to start, then if you're still stressed try accupuncture, herbs, talk therapy, etc.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:26 AM

I highly recommend Hypnobabies even if you aren't using it for childbirth. They offer a free MP3 download called "Relax Me" at http://www.hypnobabies.com/mylink.ph...58#relaxmehypo I find listening to a disc to be very relaxing and stress-removing.

I also like Rescue Remedy.

Bubble baths are my go-to for everything that ails me.

Good luck, hon!

Catholic homeschooling mom of two daughters and four sons... baby Mark born on 8/27/10. Kidney Disease Awareness
Old 05-23-2010, 10:33 AM

I was going to say this same - Hypnobabies. I found it a bit cheesy at first, but if you just go with it, it's really relaxing - after a session, I felt quite mellow - almost as mellow as the effects of some maybe-not-safe-for-pregnancy relaxants!

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
Old 05-23-2010, 07:19 PM

Walks, hot showers, massage, and herbal tea all help me. Hope you can find some relaxation soon.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

Old 05-24-2010, 05:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A warm bath (particularly with something nicely scented in it), a massage, nap, gentle swim... Those all sound lovely to me!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:17 AM

Use a vaporizer to partake of some locally grown, organic cannabis. Stress can be harmful, and there is no harm if you use a vaporizer instead of smoking it. Or make cannabis butter and bake with it. Nature's destress gift...

To begin to save the world, we must first nurture the children. Read "The Continuum Concept: In Search of Happiness Lost"    saynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactlact.gifMe-hippie.gifreading.gifhelp.gif10.5 yo dd1- nut.gifreading.gifblahblah.gif ; 5 yo dd2- angel.gifhearts.gifbouncy.gif
Old 05-24-2010, 06:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
music, esspecially from the baroque for me. Also taking a shower, meditating and just been alone.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-24-2010, 12:29 PM

I wanted to add myself to this thread too. I was on anxiety medications until I weaned off in October, I was doing well until I got pregnant... all the worries and such just make it so hard!

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
Old 05-24-2010, 12:32 PM

My doctors #1 recommendation - a warm bath with calgon lavender and vanilla in it...

it works too lol... though last night it was a cool bath with the calgon, its soooo hot out I needed to cool off lol

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:22 PM

there is a lavender and vanilla calgon?? *going to the store* Can you get it anywhere??

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
Old 05-24-2010, 02:30 PM

StarMama, I have never been on rx anxiety meds, but have battled varying levels of anxiety for a while. I found a supplement combo that has REALLY helped when I've needed it (and I don't need it all the time, thankfully). My MW has said that it's all quite safe - it's mostly homeopathics with some herbals, too. It's by NaturalCare and is called MoodFix. Might be worth a try for those with anxiety and other mood needs!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:00 PM

Try mindfulness meditation as developed by John Kabat-Zinn. You can find plenty of videos on youtube.

And, of course, don't forget to breathe!
Old 05-24-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarMama View Post
there is a lavender and vanilla calgon?? *going to the store* Can you get it anywhere??
I get mine at walmart

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:46 PM

EFT (emotional freedom technique) and yes, hypnobabies is awesooooooooome!! I slept better this pregnancy than I do when not pregnant.

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

Old 06-05-2012, 12:52 PM

I'm going for my first EFT appointment on Thursday. I can't wait to delve into energy psychology. Even with a combination of techniques, I still have a temper problem at times and am prone to anxiety for no apparent reason. I hope the EFT helps! Also, I work in a sometimes high-stress environment, and have a, at times, challenging DH...so any combination of stress relief works...as long as it's a combination, done so every day, several times a day. Not to be redundant with what others have included, this is what I utilize:

*nature walks

*herbal tea, preferably mint and honey

*drinking lots of water

*going to sleep at around the same time every night

*swimming for exercise and joy

*Meditation with Scripture, Praying, etc. (insert chosen spiritual or non-spiritual technique)

*Yoga-start up again tonight!

*watching hilarious youtube videos of kittens and puppies or visiting www.cuteoverload.com

*hot baths or just long showers

A friend recommended hypnobabies..sounds great!

TTC 

Old 06-05-2012, 01:45 PM

I guess I should have said *bump* on this older thread. clap.gif

TTC 

User Tag List