How to not throw up - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-27-2010, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help! I am due in court this morning for a 3 hour trial and am petrified that I'm going to throw up. The last couple of days I've had random vomiting that comes on very fast, involves a lot of loud dry heaving and then I'm right as rain. Aside from putting some ginger in my bag, are there any tricks that might help? I will die a thousand deaths if I have to run out of the court room to vomit.
#2 of 9 Old 05-27-2010, 10:01 AM
LZP

I know this is a late response, but a lot of women who have frequent vomiting have great results with SeaBands. they put pressure on some point in the wrists that is supposed to held the wearer avoid sea-sickness. seems to work with MS as well. you can generally get them at any pharmacy.

Hope you found some relief!!

The babymoon isn't over! Our long awaited A born 7/18/10, making us laugh and smile every day.
#3 of 9 Old 05-27-2010, 10:23 AM

have you tried sucking on hard candy? lemon/lime/ginger etc. .. that usually helped me for a while..

- Staci, Mommy to Mollie (3/06), Jamie (5/08), Annie (9/10) and Bently (2/13) chicken3.gif
#4 of 9 Old 05-27-2010, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I hope it goes well! I'm the same as you - sudden onset, lots of horrid sounds, followed by much relief. I find that I actually feel much better in meetings at work because I have no choice but to somehow suppress the urge to vomit. The distraction of having to be "on" works for me and I hope it does for you too. I feel much much worse as soon as I get home from work or on weekends when I can wallow.

I hope the three hours go by quickly. Be sure to have some food ready for as soon as you are out of court.

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and Littlest Lake due mid-Dec 2014.
#5 of 9 Old 05-27-2010, 10:41 AM

This is probably too late, but....

Spit into something when you feel the urge... like a cup or even a tissue. It's gross but it works sometimes. A high school chemistry teacher taught me that trick. The secretion of extra saliva is a signal to the stomach that it's time to puke... so if the saliva never makes it to the stomach you're less likely to puke. I find that this works better with non-pregnancy nausea; when pregnant it usually only buys me some extra time.

daughter #1 10/13/07
daughter #2 10/08/10
#6 of 9 Old 05-27-2010, 11:04 AM

Maybe sucking on some mints?

You're probably there by now - really hope that it went okay for you.
#7 of 9 Old 05-27-2010, 11:20 AM

I hope all went well, I had to deal with the same earlier in this pregnancy (finishing a divorce actually! UGH!)

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#8 of 9 Old 05-27-2010, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks very much for your suggestions. I made it through with the sea bands (thank heavens for air conditioning and long sleeves) and keeping a piece of ginger gum tucked up against the roof of my mouth.

Next time I'm definitely going to have to try the spitting into a tissue trick!
#9 of 9 Old 05-27-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rparker View Post
This is probably too late, but....

Spit into something when you feel the urge... like a cup or even a tissue. It's gross but it works sometimes. A high school chemistry teacher taught me that trick. The secretion of extra saliva is a signal to the stomach that it's time to puke... so if the saliva never makes it to the stomach you're less likely to puke. I find that this works better with non-pregnancy nausea; when pregnant it usually only buys me some extra time.
Spitting totally works for me.... when you get that rush of saliva just before puking, don't swallow it, get rid of it any other way you can. Worked like a charm for me, but also prolonged my agony... at least when I throw up I usually get a little bit of relief. Not throwing up just keeps the queasy feelings going.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page