My due date was wrong, wrong, wrong - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 05-27-2010, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(cross-posted here and in my DDC, as per Mae's wishes )

I just got back from an appointment with my gynecologist (I haven't decided on a midwife yet - note to self: get on this!) and despite me not liking ultrasounds on principle this is a high-risk pregnancy so I decided to go ahead and have one (my gynecologist is not pushy at all. Rare, I know).

He did the scan himself and almost immediately the heartbeat started thrumming through the exam room. DF and I looked and each other just had no words. It was amazing and made it seem all the more real. That's our baby. We're really, finally, going to be parents. I think I said "Oh, my goodness," once and DF just kept repeating "Wow," over and over again.

Then my doctor goes, "So, far along did you say you were, again"

Alarm bells started to go off in my head.

"Seven weeks today," I said.

"Hmm," he said.

Danger, Will Robinson!

This is were DF jumped in - "Hmm? What does "hmm" mean?"

"Well, she seems to be measuring a bit large for seven weeks."

Please bear in mind that I started out at around 100, probably (I'm 5' tall, on the nose). I don't have a scale and the last time I'd been weighed was at my GP's for an ear infection a few months ago and I was 106 then. Keeping weight on is a battle for me (I have a thyroid issue and take a lot of medication for other medical issues) so I know I went down a little before getting pregnant and ever since MS kicked in I know I've lost a even more - when the nurse weighed me this morning I was at 97, which I can't stand (I try my hardest to stay in the triple digits.)

So, before DF could say anything I jumped back in, "What do you mean "large"? I'm 97 pounds for crying out loud!"

"Losing weight in the first trimester is completely normal. You have nothing to worry about," he said.

Queue both DF and I letting out a sigh of relief.

"You're just a little farther along than Dr. Last (my rheumatologist) thought, that's all. No worries."

"Farther along?" I asked, "Exactly how much "further along" am I?"

"Well, based on what I'm seeing I'd say you are almost nine weeks along."

So, to recap: I'm a idiot. I'm not due January 12th, I'm due January 2nd. At least for now, that is. And now I've just lost almost two weeks.
#2 of 17 Old 05-27-2010, 12:23 PM

you should still crosspost it here. its an interesting read!

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#3 of 17 Old 05-27-2010, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post
you should still crosspost it here. its an interesting read!
Okay, then!
#4 of 17 Old 05-27-2010, 01:03 PM

I was terrified when you were talking about the measuring off part, before saying measuring ahead (much like you likely were)

Ive had that happen and it be the bad kind... measuring behind.

So I was so happy to hear of a GREAT ending to this story!

just think... thats two less weeks you have to worry about possibly being overdue!

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#5 of 17 Old 05-27-2010, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When I had my early u/s (to rule out ectopic since I've had one before) I LOST 6 days! My LMP put me nearly a week farther than I actually was.

Glad everything is looking good!
#6 of 17 Old 05-27-2010, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
I was terrified when you were talking about the measuring off part, before saying measuring ahead (much like you likely were)

Ive had that happen and it be the bad kind... measuring behind.

So I was so happy to hear of a GREAT ending to this story!

just think... thats two less weeks you have to worry about possibly being overdue!
I'm so sorry. That had to be incredibly difficult.

I'm of two minds on this: one side of me is going, "Hey, that's amazing! Two weeks closer to your second trimester! Woo-hoo!" and the other is like, "Oh, no. Two weeks? I'm going to need a third wedding dress now. Blerg."

I'm not worried about being overdue. As far as I'm concerned, this baby is staying in until it's ready to come out. I was two weeks late after my mother going into early labor at five months and DF was a week-and-a-half late. He was the third of four and all of his mother's other births were early. I'll be shocked if this one comes early. It's just not in it's genes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBomb View Post
When I had my early u/s (to rule out ectopic since I've had one before) I LOST 6 days! My LMP put me nearly a week farther than I actually was.

Glad everything is looking good!
Thank you!

I had an ectopic pregnancy while I was in grad school. It was one of the worst times of my life and considering my life that's saying something. 's to you.

So glad that your ultrasound turned out as well as mine did!
#7 of 17 Old 05-27-2010, 02:21 PM

Do you already have your dress picked?

I have a gorgeous Maternity gown (i get married in 2 weeks and am SO excited) that would fit me both at 7 months (around where ill be then) and at 9 months if necessary. The flowy fabric is great too considering how warm it has been! But also means it can cover my belly even if I get HUGE in the next 2 weeks. (im already huge, in my mind lol)

#8 of 17 Old 05-27-2010, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Do you already have your dress picked?

I have a gorgeous Maternity gown (i get married in 2 weeks and am SO excited) that would fit me both at 7 months (around where ill be then) and at 9 months if necessary. The flowy fabric is great too considering how warm it has been! But also means it can cover my belly even if I get HUGE in the next 2 weeks. (im already huge, in my mind lol)
I have a beautiful vintage lace gown that I found on a trip to France with my Mom last fall. It's beyond gorgeous and at least eighty years old. It was apparently a family gown and the last bride who wore it altered it so it would be more form-fitting and sleeveless.

My second dress is from J. Crew which I bought "just in case," but as time passes I become less and less wild about it.

One of my closest friends is an aspiring fashion designer and he already told me that he would design and make a dress for me (he got very mad when he found out about my spur-of-the-moment J. Crew dress - I got quite the lecture ) so I figure I can go to him if need be.

I've been in a Jane Austen mood lately (between pregnancy, birth, and breastfeeding books, that is) and it's making me want to find another old antique sort of gown and have my friend make whatever alterations to it that I want. I know how lucky I am to even have that option.

How exciting about your wedding! I'm so happy for you! That's wonderful. I hope your wedding day is awesome. If you don't mind me asking, what's the wedding going to be like? Mine is being held at our house which I know is just asking for trouble, but we're having only our closest family and friends there - ceremony in the garden (backyard right now, hopefully a garden by then) and the reception on the deck off of the second floor.

Sometimes I can't believe that I'm actually planning an outdoor wedding during August of all times, but then I remind myself that the average high for Brooklyn in August is 76 degrees NOT 93 degrees like it is in Houston, where I grew up. That said, I still miss the weather in England. I'm rainy-day kind of girl.
#9 of 17 Old 05-27-2010, 03:34 PM

My sister wanted to make mine... I couldnt let her. When we do our vow renewal, I will pay her to do it... but she was dealing with her daughters custom prom dress the past few months and I hate to stress her so much!

We are having a beach wedding in the beginning of June but with the heat we have been getting not looking like its coming to an end before September... Im starting to question my sanity in planning a June outdoor wedding!

Hopefully you can see this... this is the dress I will be wearing - http://cgi.ebay.com/New-White-Lace-C...item5d28552656
DD in her dress - http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/e...14001255-1.jpg
And our sandals (I made them myself last weekend lol) - http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/e...ampy/shoes.jpg

the bottom of my sandals, one foot says just and the other says married... it will leave that as an imprint on the sand when I walk!

#10 of 17 Old 05-27-2010, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
My sister wanted to make mine... I couldnt let her. When we do our vow renewal, I will pay her to do it... but she was dealing with her daughters custom prom dress the past few months and I hate to stress her so much!

We are having a beach wedding in the beginning of June but with the heat we have been getting not looking like its coming to an end before September... Im starting to question my sanity in planning a June outdoor wedding!

Hopefully you can see this... this is the dress I will be wearing - http://cgi.ebay.com/New-White-Lace-C...item5d28552656
And our sandals (I made them myself last weekend lol) - http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/e...ampy/shoes.jpg

the bottom of my sandals, one foot says just and the other says married... it will leave that as an imprint on the sand when I walk!
First thing first: your DD is beautiful! Way to go, Mae!

I love your dress. Most "maternity" wedding dresses and gowns are horrible but yours is stunning. And the sandals with the writing? Genius.

You're living in North Carolina (right?) so I'm not sure if where you live has any kind of Asian district but you could always go online (you can buy anything online now, can't you?) and buy all different printed fans for you and your guests. Much better than a program at cooling someone off, trust me - I've lived through about two dozen outdoor, summer weddings in TEXAS. Talk about insanity. At least you've got the beach. If things get drastic everyone could just jump in the water!
#11 of 17 Old 05-27-2010, 04:19 PM

We live in north-west Illinois right now, wedding will be in Michigan right on the shores of lake Michigan (and everyone was invited to bring swimming suits, including me! LOL) and we will be moving to NC afterward.

#12 of 17 Old 05-27-2010, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
We live in north-west Illinois right now, wedding will be in Michigan right on the shores of lake Michigan (and everyone was invited to bring swimming suits, including me! LOL) and we will be moving to NC afterward.
Michigan? MICHIGAN? Wuss.

No, seriously, you're going to be seven months pregnant. I definitely encourage the fans AND the bathing suits. I hope your day is as beautiful are you and your DD are (and I'm sure your DS and DF, too).
#13 of 17 Old 05-27-2010, 06:31 PM

as they say... its not the heat its the humidity. I could handle it if it were 94 degrees out... but when its 94 degrees with 89% humidity... nooooo

lol

right now forecast for up there is constantly upper 60s to upper 70s for 10 day so I hope we get stuck with a day in the 70s with sun and a little breeze. Would be so perfect!

(but if our luck holds up, it will rain. our first date we went to a nascar race and it rained out... we happen to be getting married the day of the nascar race at that same track this year)

#14 of 17 Old 05-27-2010, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
as they say... its not the heat its the humidity. I could handle it if it were 94 degrees out... but when its 94 degrees with 89% humidity... nooooo

lol

right now forecast for up there is constantly upper 60s to upper 70s for 10 day so I hope we get stuck with a day in the 70s with sun and a little breeze. Would be so perfect!

(but if our luck holds up, it will rain. our first date we went to a nascar race and it rained out... we happen to be getting married the day of the nascar race at that same track this year)
Well, if it rains you've got the bathing suits already. You're set!

And, oh yes, the humidity. Like I said, I'm from Texas. Yes, it's my birthplace and all and, yes, most of my family still lives there but Oh. My. God. People should not inhabit such horrid areas of the planet. I only visit during the "winter months" if I can help it and during those times you can still usually get away with sundresses and shorts. It's insane.
#15 of 17 Old 05-27-2010, 07:04 PM

The only times I have been to Texas were both in February.

The air tried to kill me. I was there for a week one time (in Austin) and could hardly breathe. My lungs burned so bad. I got home and was fine in a day.

As for rain... we have a very cute little shelter at the park that we rented, to keep us out of sun or rain. If its not raining though I think we might do our ceremony on the beach... the shelter is up under some trees in a grassy area on the cliff over the beach. Its REALLY beautiful from pics I have seen and I cant wait to go there!

#16 of 17 Old 05-27-2010, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
The only times I have been to Texas were both in February.

The air tried to kill me. I was there for a week one time (in Austin) and could hardly breathe. My lungs burned so bad. I got home and was fine in a day.

As for rain... we have a very cute little shelter at the park that we rented, to keep us out of sun or rain. If its not raining though I think we might do our ceremony on the beach... the shelter is up under some trees in a grassy area on the cliff over the beach. Its REALLY beautiful from pics I have seen and I cant wait to go there!
See? Texas = bad. I don't know how I lived there for as long as I did (until I was eighteen) and I certainly don't know how my family continues to do so. As far as I'm concerned, they're living in denial.

I do go back as often as I can for the Austin City Limits Festival (usually held in September, but last year it was in October for the first time. Personally, I couldn't tell a difference). It takes me literally weeks to recuperate afterward.

Your ceremony venue sounds adorable! I thought about getting married on the beach, but we decided we want it as small and comfortable as possible - thus, home.

I hope the weather decides to play along for you! You deserve it.
#17 of 17 Old 05-27-2010, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Beautiful maternity dress....I was picturing something ugly. lol

Cutie pie DD in her dress!! And your sandals are adorable, you did a great job embellishing! So cool with the imprints on your sandals.

You two had your own little convo going in this thread lol but I just had to jump in here.

Michelle SAHM to K (3/2004)  H (8/2006) P (7/2011) & we're missing Finley Jonas born still, July 27, 2010 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page