Red Raspberry Leaf Capsules vs. Tea - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-10-2004, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there...
My midwife wants me to drink 2-3 cups of RRL tea daily...but I just don't like it much. Is there any difference if I just go get the capsules from GNC? If so...does anyone know the serving amount I should be getting? I think 1 cup of my Traditional Medicinal tea is 1500 mg or something like that...

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks!
Sara

Sara ::: Mama to Bella Grace & Lucy Mae Cultivate inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God delights in. 1 Peter 3:4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2004, 10:44 PM

I really think the tea is safer and possibly more effective. Some encapsulated herbs are adulterated or not as potent as they should be. But I would imagine that you could go ahead and take the amount suggested on the bottle if you want to take the pills.

Incidentally, I know the tea takes some getting used to. I actually really like it now if I put some stevia extract in it. It makes me feel like I'm having dessert!
Old 03-11-2004, 12:49 PM

When do you start drinking the tea? Is it in the second trimester or the third?
Old 03-12-2004, 04:13 PM

There are differing viewpoints on this, but I follow the advice in Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Year by Susan Weed. She recommends taking the tea throughout pregnancy for the best results, even the first trimester. I've found that it actually helps keep morning sickness to a minimum.
Old 03-12-2004, 09:27 PM

I second the idea of adding stevia....it is really yummy that way! Stevia gives some things a bit of a strange after-taste, IMO, but it's great in RRL tea and in every fruit-based concoction I've tried...not so great in coffee or chocolate flavored stuff, IMO.

Also, I just made up some RRL tea cubes! I've got them in the freezer waiting for when I go into labor, but I can't resist sneaking one here and there! LOL!

I made really strong RRL tea (I added a couple bags of Celestial Seasonings Mandarin Orange Spice, because it is one of my favorites!) and I added quite a bit of honey to it. I used honey instead of Stevia for this because honey provides extra, quick energy, which I will need during labor! Then I froze it in ice cube trays (I looked for little cocktail cube trays but couldn't find any...but with the honey, these don't freeze as solidly as ice cubes, so they'll be easy to crunch a bit anyway).

They are really good, and refreshing!

Also, if you are using RRL tea from anywhere but The Compleat Mother, you are missing out on a serious treat! The quality and taste of their RRL tea is MUCH better than any other! You may discover that you like it all by itself quite well!

As far as when to use RRL, my MW said it is totally okay throughout pregnancy, and beyond! No limits, no cautions. Drink as much as I want, and enjoy it!

I don't know about capsules...I've not seen it in capsules before (but I'm sure it's available!), but if you stick with a well-known, quality brand, I'd think you would be fine. There are wide variations among different herbalists, but IME, a good quality brand name will offer consistent quality across the board, if that makes sense.

Hope this helps!

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~
Old 03-13-2004, 03:36 PM

I make the tea myself and add several other things to it for pregnancy (nettles alfalfa and oatstraw to begin with) but I always add something for flavor-lemon balm or peppermint (sometimes spearamint) are often found in my teas. Feel free to add whatever will make it more palatable for you. The important thing is getting in your body.
Old 03-13-2004, 06:02 PM

IMO, loose tea is always better than encapsulated, but maybe that's just a personal preference??? I love the Mother's tea, too. Last pg, I grieved when my stash ran out! It really is quite yummy---and I'm not a huge exotic tea fan. I drink mine throughout pg with lemon

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

Old 03-13-2004, 06:23 PM

Try the tincture. Make sure its organic and contains only extracts of red raspberry leaf and pure grain alcohol. A reputable company is Herb Pharm or Mountain rose herbals. A tincture is a more concentrated form of the herb thus you would only need to take 15 - 20 standard drops in a liquid such as tea or juice or water once daily and then in the last trimester up to 2 -3 times

Colleen

User Tag List