Spotting at 38 weeks - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-05-2010, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How long is normal to have spotting (more like blood tinged vaginal discharge) after loosing your mucus plug?!? I am kind of getting worried b/c this has been going on for a few days now with no sign of labor on the horizon. Also, how do I know it's not amniotic fluid?!? I am so baffled! Please tell me this is normal....

Wifey to my DH 9/2005 and always busy SAHM  to my beautiful boys  twins.gif   Elijah 12/2008 and Caeleb 6/2010
Our baby girl  stork-girl.gif is arriving October 2012!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 06-05-2010, 04:41 PM

Normal As your cervix begins to dilate, there are tiny blood vessels in it that may burst and bleed a little, that's the "bloody show" that some women experience. It's perfectly normal, especially in the small amounts that you're describing.

It can mean that labor is just around the corner, or it could mean that you're dilating very slowly and by the time "real" labor kicks in, you'll already be at a 5 and it'll go fast!

If it's amniotic fluid, it will *typically* pool if you lay down, then when you get up, you'll notice increased leakage. So go lay down for an hour (do some kick counts, read a book, take a nap) then when you get up pay attention to see if you have any leakage.

Amniotic fluid is typically clear and odorless. As opposed to urine which will be somewhat colored and have a scent. Discharge will be milky-white, stringy, or blood-tinged.

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
#3 of 7 Old 06-05-2010, 05:47 PM

I spotted for 9 days straight, starting at 37+0, stopped at 38+2. Went in finally for an NST and mw decided was probably due to dilating. I have a very low-lying placenta, so she wanted to be sure it wasn't related to that. It wasn't. No spotting since, just lots of snotty stuff.

Oh, and then I was dilated to 3 cm. Kind of hoping it's just slowly creeping open (at 38+5 now).

Mama to Nov '08 and June '10
#4 of 7 Old 06-05-2010, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

So I guess I should describe the "spotting" and really watery and blood tinged. Sometimes the color of fresh blood (pink) and sometime a little more brown. The discharge is really not as thick as you would expect it to be.... It is defiantly not urine. Should I go in to be checked?!? If it is amniotic fluid I don't really want a vaginal exam done. But, I've been having sex so if I'm going to get an infection from having a slow leak the damage is already done. Help!!

Wifey to my DH 9/2005 and always busy SAHM  to my beautiful boys  twins.gif   Elijah 12/2008 and Caeleb 6/2010
Our baby girl  stork-girl.gif is arriving October 2012!!!

#5 of 7 Old 06-05-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icy02 View Post
So I guess I should describe the "spotting" and really watery and blood tinged. Sometimes the color of fresh blood (pink) and sometime a little more brown. The discharge is really not as thick as you would expect it to be.... It is defiantly not urine. Should I go in to be checked?!? If it is amniotic fluid I don't really want a vaginal exam done. But, I've been having sex so if I'm going to get an infection from having a slow leak the damage is already done. Help!!
It could be semen mixed with normal discharge. Don't worry

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
#6 of 7 Old 06-05-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icy02 View Post
Should I go in to be checked?!? If it is amniotic fluid I don't really want a vaginal exam done. But, I've been having sex so if I'm going to get an infection from having a slow leak the damage is already done. Help!!
If you have any question, please get checked, you don't want an infection or leaking amniotic fluid. Keep us updated!

Kim, mom to DDs (10, 8, and 2) and DS born on the 4th of July.
#7 of 7 Old 06-07-2010, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'd say it's most likely normal. However, I would definitely tell your midwife or doctor about it right away and see what they say.

Occasionally spotting can be a sign of a low-lying placenta or placenta previa. I had spotting at 34 weeks with my 2nd pregnancy, went in for an ultrasound, and was diagnosed with a low-lying placenta, which fortunately "moved" up enough for me to have a natural birth at 41 weeks.

Happily married for 9 years. 8 year old son, 6 year old daughter, 4 year old daughter, and Baby coming mid-to-late July 2015!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page