Evil Yeast Infection: Gynazole Recalled? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-09-2010, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
32 weeks, and I've got a really painful yeast infection right now that I need to take care of. I have a history of hard-to-kill yeasts (like candida glabrata) that laugh at the usual otc meds and home rememdies. The only thing that has always worked for me is Gynazole cream. Believe me, I've tried a ton of things over the years, from tea tree oil (not good during pregnancy), to hydrogen peroxide douches (which work pretty well, but again, not for use during pregnancy), to boric acid, to yogurt, probiotics galore, etc.

Currently I take a strong probiotic, but clearly this one is here anyway. Honestly, given my history, I'm amazed I lasted as long as I did.

So anyway, Gynazole is the thing that works for me. It's Class C, but my midwife says it's fine at this point, and that I don't want to give the baby thrush during birth. I'm ok with that, and happily trotted off to fill my script today, but no place seems to have it, as it's been recalled! One place said they can get it, but I'm not sure a recalled class C is the best idea. Their website claims it's unavailable nationally and has been off the market for 18 months. So wth!

Part of me just wants to follow up on the pharmacy that said they can get it, but I'm skeptical. I can't find a proper generic version of the drug, but I need to resolve this infection. The pharmacist just recommended a bunch of OTC stuff that never works for me.

Is anyone else familiar with this drug or have any clue what else might work?

#2 of 8 Old 06-09-2010, 12:52 AM
Banned

I've got a yeast infection from the heavy antibiotics I'm on due to a raging kidney infection, and have a MAJOR history of both so I feel your pain.

I'm on the antibiotics for - at least - another week and a half, so my rheumatologist talked to my GYN and he told her to have me use the Monistat 7-day (just for the itching, really) and then when my antibiotic treatment is up he's going to call in a prescription for Diflucan for me, which seems to work about half of the time for me. It's class C during pregnancy, but (hopefully) killing off the yeast infection is more than worth it to me.

Does Diflucan not work for you?
#3 of 8 Old 06-09-2010, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintedfire View Post
I've got a yeast infection from the heavy antibiotics I'm on due to a raging kidney infection, and have a MAJOR history of both so I feel your pain.

I'm on the antibiotics for - at least - another week and a half, so my rheumatologist talked to my GYN and he told her to have me use the Monistat 7-day (just for the itching, really) and then when my antibiotic treatment is up he's going to call in a prescription for Diflucan for me, which seems to work about half of the time for me. It's class C during pregnancy, but (hopefully) killing off the yeast infection is more than worth it to me.

Does Diflucan not work for you?
Diflucan is really good for killing candida albicans, which is super common, but is not the stuff I get. I usually get candida glabrata or candida tropicalis, for whatever reason, and so diflucan does exactly nothing for it. I'm not aware of anything besides Gynazole that will kill glabrata (which is what I *think* this one is, but I'm not sure), but if anyone knows of anything, I'd be quite grateful.

#4 of 8 Old 06-09-2010, 07:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by violet_ View Post
Diflucan is really good for killing candida albicans, which is super common, but is not the stuff I get. I usually get candida glabrata or candida tropicalis, for whatever reason, and so diflucan does exactly nothing for it. I'm not aware of anything besides Gynazole that will kill glabrata (which is what I *think* this one is, but I'm not sure), but if anyone knows of anything, I'd be quite grateful.
Everything I'm reading says that Terconazole 7-day cream is the first line measure for knocking out glabrata. It's class-C, as well, and seems to still be on the market.

HTH!
#5 of 8 Old 06-09-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintedfire View Post
Everything I'm reading says that Terconazole 7-day cream is the first line measure for knocking out glabrata. It's class-C, as well, and seems to still be on the market.

HTH!
That is what I just finished yesterday. Although I had suppositories, and it was a 6 day course. I'm not sure the name of the yeast I had, but the midwife said it was a very resistant kind, so probably the same as what you have. Anyway, it's gone completely now so it did the job!
#6 of 8 Old 06-10-2010, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

#7 of 8 Old 06-10-2010, 06:49 PM

I super duper recommend a the yeast infection cream made by Taylor Made Aromatherapy, it is all natural with herbs and organic ingredients. It works really really well. You can google her name and find her site. She is a naturopath and you can email her any questions you have. I also recommend her calendula chammomile cream its amazing as well.

Holistic Moms Network Monterey Chapter, co-leader!
Mama to oneboy 6/20/07 and due Mid-August
#8 of 8 Old 07-30-2012, 11:34 AM

hi, i have a the same situation... i have try number of cream but nothing seem to work. Gynazole is the only the solution for me, but i can not get it due to recall of the drug. If anyone have solutions please share. thanks

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page