Fluctuating Progesterone Levels? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-10-2010, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a question about progesterone levels.

I had a beta with a progesterone level done at 14-16 dpo (not exact sure of ovulation date). My progesterone level was 46.

Last week I had an ultrasound with an embryo measuring 6 week 2 day (I was either 6w2d or 6w4d at the time). The heartbeat was 128, so everything looked normal.

I also switched providers this week.

My midwife suggested going on prometrium before she knew my previous levels because of my history of miscarriage and infertility. We decided that we would recheck them before putting me back on it.

My levels on Monday were 19.1. The nurse said I shouldn't worry about the drop and that the level was normal and wasn't a problem, but I plan on calling tomorrow to speak directly to the midwife, for the very least for some reassurance.

Part of my thinks I released more than one egg which would account for the initial higher level, and when that corpus luteum collapsed, my levels went down. With my daughter, my progesterone was 90 at 14 dpo, and somewhere in the 40's two weeks level, which is a huge drop, but I'm pretty sure that was because of multiple eggs being released (used injectables).

I know this is long winded but I wanted some feedback.

Thanks
#2 of 5 Old 06-10-2010, 08:21 PM

a good thing to remember is that levels spike and fall thru out the day, so any one test can be really far off the average. if you are not spotting, i would not worry too much.

infertility by itself does not mean you have progesterone issues.
how many miscarriages have you had and at what weeks?

if they are going to base decisions on tests, i would have them do a few tests over a few days and always go in in the morning before you eat. they say that is your most accurate level.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#3 of 5 Old 06-10-2010, 08:24 PM

btw and i dont know this for sure, but i think that the hcg signal would keep all the corpus luteum active. i really dont think that each one is getting a signal from each baby or something like that.

in my last ultra sound they saw 4 corpus luteum that were huge and clearly still functioning, now granted i have two babies, but certainly not 4!

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#4 of 5 Old 06-11-2010, 04:51 AM

i personally would be concerned and seek more bloodwork. but that is because my progesterone fluctuated this pregnancy and i lost a twin early on. but my blood work in the 1st trimester was never above 20. above 20 is what they like to see. i was put on progesterone suppositories and have had no issues with keeping the other baby.

nicole, wife & very blessed mom of 2 fun boys '03 & '05 & sweet girl '10. 2ndtri.gifDue 1-6-13 hbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#5 of 5 Old 06-11-2010, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Actually, my midwife said anything above 11 and optimally, anything above 15.

Anyway, I talked to the midwife today. She agrees that it was likely a second luteul cyst that collapsed and therefore my progesterone dropped. There are reasons to believe that I may have released more than one egg.

She's not concerned with the progesterone level, but because we both knew it would make me feel better, she prescribed a low dose of prometrium until 12 weeks.

I have another u/s scheduled for the 21st to check on growth.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page