another zofran question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-11-2010, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last time I was on it was 3 years ago, but I remember I had to wean myself because if I just stopped taking it I felt sick. Did anyone else have to do that?

And I find myself needing to take two doses a day instead of one - if I head off with a zofran at say 3AM, I am okay the rest of the day, only maybe vomiting once after it wore off, but now I find myself needing 2 a day. Not sure if it's because my m/s is hitting it's peak (I am almost 10 weeks) or if I just need more to get by because I am building a tolerance. Last pregnancy I could get by with just one a day for all 26 weeks. Right now because of insurance and limited pill refills, I am splitting 8mg in half and only taking 4 mg a day to last me longer

Any thoughts?

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#2 of 9 Old 06-11-2010, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillymonster View Post
Last time I was on it was 3 years ago, but I remember I had to wean myself because if I just stopped taking it I felt sick. Did anyone else have to do that?

And I find myself needing to take two doses a day instead of one - if I head off with a zofran at say 3AM, I am okay the rest of the day, only maybe vomiting once after it wore off, but now I find myself needing 2 a day. Not sure if it's because my m/s is hitting it's peak (I am almost 10 weeks) or if I just need more to get by because I am building a tolerance. Last pregnancy I could get by with just one a day for all 26 weeks. Right now because of insurance and limited pill refills, I am splitting 8mg in half and only taking 4 mg a day to last me longer

Any thoughts?
It is definitely habit-forming. I had to take 3 a day, exactly 8 hrs apart, and by hour 7, I'd be nauseous again. Finally at about 14 weeks, I decided to go cold-turkey, and I just stopped suddenly. I was super-sick for 2 days, and then fine.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#3 of 9 Old 06-11-2010, 04:27 PM

zofran is definately very dependent on having a constant steady stream thats why its so good at working. I have found that at my peak of hyperemesis I had to do 8mg every 8 hrs exactly on time to keep my blood levels constant. For me that was the key to it working. as I have gotten better I have had to taper to every 12 hrs and slowly move my dosage down to 4 and now I only take it for my *waking* hrs. But yeah I feel different almost within 30 min of taking the pill, I think it is somewhat habit forming in a way.
#4 of 9 Old 06-11-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv-my-boys View Post
But yeah I feel different almost within 30 min of taking the pill, I think it is somewhat habit forming in a way.
It is definitely habit-forming. It is given to opiate addicts to ease withdrawal. Many medicines that slow down intestinal motility/peristalsis (diarrhea and nausea medicines) are verrrrrrrry mild opiates themselves.

#5 of 9 Old 06-11-2010, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Wonderful

I am actually on my 3rd dose today and I have never had to take 3 doses. Instead of being able to tolerate throwing up a few times like before, as soon as I feel my stomach churning, around the 8 hour mark, I need to take it.

I am little worried because I afraid I won't know when to taper down - I still feel sick while on it but I am trying to keep at the smallest dosage so it won't be as hard to wean myself off.

#6 of 9 Old 06-11-2010, 07:39 PM

I waited till well into the 2nd trimester and it was fine then. I think it is too soon for you.

#7 of 9 Old 06-11-2010, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
I waited till well into the 2nd trimester and it was fine then. I think it is too soon for you.
Thanks - last time I stopped at 26 weeks. The problem is the amount of pills I get (12 pill to last 2 weeks??) I am on my last refill and I don't know how this insurance is going to be with approving it. Last time it was a big fight after the first trimester. I guess I will just relax and keep taking when needed. I really wanted to not have to take it as long this time, but wishful thinking I guess.

#8 of 9 Old 06-12-2010, 08:51 AM

This pregnancy is the first one that the sickness has lingered the longest so I've needed the zofran longer.In the begining I needed the maximum dose but have found that as I get farther the less I'm needing.I am not needing it right at hour five and I've dropped a couple of dosing times just because I don't feel the need.I did think I was fine and the Dr kinda forced me to go off and even though it was a taper I ended up in L and D last week after 4 days of hell.Not good.
All of the meds work best if you are well hydrated so make sure you are getting fluids in.I didn't realize that and my Drs were/are unobservant and it also was a trip to the hospital.Good Luck and hopefully you'll well soon.

joy.gifme, herding 5 critters a cat and a dog. DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10

#9 of 9 Old 04-27-2013, 12:29 PM

I wondered about whether Zofran (generic name, Ondansetron) was habit-forming, and this was the first Google.Com entry.

I have to admit I am a guy, so not entirely sure what you ladies are experiencing. My doctor prescribed it since I was vomited (sorry to be gross!) either at time of taking a handful of pills or inexplicably. She told me Zofran is usually prescribed for cancer patients undergoing "chemotherapy", so I realized it was strong.

I have been on two types: CVS has dissolvable peppermint-tasting Ondansetron and Kroger Pharmacy had disssolvable strawberry-tasting. I am pretty sure that has played some role in my use of Zofran. It usually takes about 15 minutes for effectiveness, for me.

When I was last on a cruise, I remember "popping a pill" of it --"just in case." Like an earlier subscriber mentioned, she'd take twice the dose prescribed. Mine come in blister packs, two pills side by side, so I'd pop two also.

I was able to get away from Ondansetron for a while, but like most "helpful meds" I have been prescribed (such as Adderall [amphetamine salts, for Attention Deficit Disorder]) and Klonopin [generic name, clonazepam] for anxiety), I always request Ondansetron to be refilled --whether needed or not. With these three, I am like that. Adderall is a "controlled substance" here in HOUTX (Houston, TX, USA) where I live, not sure in other places, so a special prescription pad has to be used by my doctor --it cannot be automatically refilled by CVS.

I appreciate that each of you have shared your experience. I hope that I can "remain clean" of Ondansetron. I have an "addictive personality" coming from alcoholism on both sides of my family. My sister, whom I love more dearly than you can imagine, cannot handle alcohol. She gets very emotional and has "blackouts." We're Iro-American (for distant Irish heritage) on my father's side and there is Cherokee Amerindian on Mama's side.

Sincerely,

Matthew Tobin

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page