Tell me about BioPhysical Profile - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-19-2010, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SO, I've never been overdue before and never really had a reason to research this, so can you all tell me about BPP? My mw wants me to have one when I hit the 41week mark on Tuesday. I'm not sure how I feel about it, or whether I should ask to delay it until later on...

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 06-19-2010, 09:54 PM

It's basically just a quick ultrasound to give an idea of babe's general status. I've had several because they thought baby was growth restricted--I forget all of the things they look for, but it's stuff like amniotic fluid levels, baby's body movements or "tone" (ie, limbs flexing/extending or flacid,) breathing movements (ie, practice breathing.)

It was a really quick US for us and I believe VERY standard practice after 41 weeks.
#3 of 3 Old 06-20-2010, 03:35 PM

I just recently read about this in a good book, it list these 5 things as included in a BPP:

Heart rate activity
Respiration
Body movement
Muscle tone
And
Amniotic fluid volume

And sometimes the placenta

Some of the debate seems to be wether it is better to make decisions based on just one part or another or on the whole compelled score. And that some folks disagree of how movement or fluid there should be.

Hope that helps a bit.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page