Did you birth similarly as your mother? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 06-25-2010, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone, just wanted to say that, no matter what your answer to this question is, please take a moment to appreciate the blessing that you even *know* the answer to this question. I say this with all the warmth in the world that you guys are lucky enough to be able to talk to your moms about this and compare notes.

My mom died when I was 16, and as much as we did talk about in those 16 years, questions about what my birth was like (I'm an only) and how her pregnancy was were things I never ever even thought about before she died. And my dad's no use - he was there but doesn't remember a thing (he doesn't even remember whether I was born in the middle of the night or day!)

I loved reading all your answers and it's so interesting to compare these notes... just wanted to say this though because I know sometimes we take it for granted - it's AWESOME to be able to talk to your moms about this. I'm really psyched for all of you!
#32 of 41 Old 06-25-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LROM View Post
My mom died when I was 16, and as much as we did talk about in those 16 years, questions about what my birth was like (I'm an only) and how her pregnancy was were things I never ever even thought about before she died. And my dad's no use - he was there but doesn't remember a thing (he doesn't even remember whether I was born in the middle of the night or day!)
Does he at least know if she kept a baby book for you? Most of my info was in there so I didn't have to ask my mom for anything about me, just about my siblings. Having my children have the possibility of dealing with what you have is exactly why I keep baby books for all of them... my brothers father died when he was 8 months old and the only way he knows what his dad thought of him was through one entry in his baby book from him.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#33 of 41 Old 06-26-2010, 01:37 AM

Yes... and like my grandmother.

All three of us had our first babies at approximately 43 weeks (42+5, 42+6, 43+2). Our first labours were very long (2 days, 3 days, 47 hours).

Our second babies were all 38 weekers (which still shocked me when it happened to me even though it had happened to them because I still expected to go to my due date after a 43 weeker lol). They were very fast active labours and pushing (both of them barely made it to the hospital... I was induced after prolonged ROM but then went from 4cm to baby in my arms in 15 minutes).

All of us have had lots of milk and breastfed for as long as we wanted to fairly easily.

We shall see what happens with this baby

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#34 of 41 Old 06-26-2010, 01:40 AM

Nope! Not even close! I birth like my grandmother!

Her first labor was around 6 hours, her second almost 2 hours.

My first was induced (pre-eclampsia) and 9 hours from Pitocen to birth. My second was about a half hour.

My mother was induced with me, it took 2 tries and 3 days before I was born. My brother came on his own, but labor was about 12 hours. She had an epidural with him though, so who knows what her labors would have been like if they were natural like my grandmas.

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#35 of 41 Old 06-26-2010, 03:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Not at all.

My brother & I were both quite early. Ds was full-term.
My Mom & Grandma both assured my labour was just like menstrual cramps but stronger - ah NO it's not!
Recovery was pretty quick for Mom but my recovery was long & rough.
None of us had real difficulties with bfing.

I suppose next time around it could be different for me.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#36 of 41 Old 06-26-2010, 03:59 AM

so far im good like my mom in the no MS minority and i was joking with her today about folks birthing like they were born and she just laughed and said, well we better make sure someone is there on time to catch!
(i was born at home after a 2 hour labor and came "flying out" my dad barely got in the room in time to catch)

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#37 of 41 Old 06-26-2010, 04:20 AM

Not at all - my mom always went 2-3 weeks overdue, I went a week early. She had fast labors (2-6 hours), mine was 48 hours. The only thing that was the same was that we both had prodromal labor and walked around very dilated before going into labor.

Oh, and she had no morning sickness, and I get it BAD.

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#38 of 41 Old 06-28-2010, 01:06 AM

In some respects my labor were similar to my moms'. With my first baby, I labored for 24 hours, so did she. But, her first baby was a week late and mine was 5 days late. For my second baby, my labor was only 6 hours and my mom's was really short, too. Baby #2 was a few days late, and I think my mom's second baby was a little early.
#39 of 41 Old 06-28-2010, 01:41 AM

Not really. She was w/ in 4 or 5 days of her EDD and so was I. However, her longest labor was 5 or 6 hrs and I was in labor for 14 with my first.
#40 of 41 Old 06-28-2010, 03:21 AM

No idea, and sadly I will never know. My mom's water broke at 37 weeks with me, she immediately went into the hospital and got an epi and pit. I was born like 12-13 hours later. With my sister, my mom was induced at 39 weeks. It failed, they gave her drugs to put her to sleep, and the next morning they started pit. They did something called an LIA in place of an epidural, but it failed. Sis was born a few hours later.

I hope I labor like my grandma! She was like 12 hours with her first from start to finish, 7 with her second, and a grand total of 18 minutes with her last. With my uncle, her water broke, she went to the hospital with no pain. She just chilled for awhile and then all of a sudden her contractions started again. Uncle was born 18 minutes after the first contraction. I hope all my labors are like hers!

treehugger.gif NMY, uber-crunchy, college student, doula-in-training, health food store worker and future librarian read.gif

#41 of 41 Old 06-28-2010, 02:08 PM

I carried my babies and delivered them similarly to my mother and similarly to my younger sister. My older sister both carried and delivered very, very differently. Interestingly, my younger sister and I favor my mother in looks and build, while my older sister favors my dad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page