Recommendations For Belly Binders - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 06-23-2010, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have a recommendation for a good belly binder? I am having another c/s in 6 weeks and I would really like a binder to help with recovery.....as well as the post partum belly After my last pregnancy my belly looked horrible so I am hoping I *may* be able to help it a little this time.

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).
#2 of 14 Old 06-23-2010, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I have heard good things about the bamboo Belly Bandit.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#3 of 14 Old 06-23-2010, 12:15 PM

I have a bamboo belly bandit and I hate it with a passion!!!

WAHM, Married to my best friend, Proud Mama to our sweet baby boy 29.5.10, Addicted to and loving
#4 of 14 Old 06-23-2010, 03:48 PM

If I was in your situation I would look into some post surgical support garments, many years ago I had some selective lyposuction to take care of some very lopsided fat deposits that i had. Afterward for many weeks he had me in a compression garment to smooth things out, explaining that when the skin is loose it really benifited from being compressed into the shape you wanted it to shrink back to. I even had a foam pad in side the garment for the first while to stop me tummy from creasing up too bad, it gently kept me in good straight posture with my belly.

I read a lot about what i was doing and was very hesitant to do anything at first, in the end I am Sl glad I did and glad i had such a good aftercare plan, the compression garment was amazing. It also helps your body flush out swelling.

These are also the same garments that are worn after tummy tucks with a scar located in a very similar place as a c section.

Do a search and see some of them, as I am having twins I am already thinking about them again too.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#5 of 14 Old 06-23-2010, 04:14 PM

Here is a link that shows a bit of what I'm talking about http://designveronique.com/cgi-bin/i...maternity.html

This is a company that makes post surgical garments, but in this case has a whole line of pregnancy and post partum items as well

And an interesting article by them on the changes in the body in both vaginal and cesarean births
http://designveronique.com/shops/dv2...Paper_2009.pdf

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#6 of 14 Old 06-23-2010, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I just bought mine (and am not planning a CS), so I can't make recommendations based on btdt, but... I had to buy an inexpensive one due to finances, but here's a thread I read about them that was good.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...4#post15225484

Thanks for that article, I'll be reading that later!

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
#7 of 14 Old 06-23-2010, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalovesbaby View Post
I have a bamboo belly bandit and I hate it with a passion!!!
Why?

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#8 of 14 Old 06-23-2010, 06:22 PM
Banned

I was just going to wrap my belly with Ace bandages after the birth because all the postpartum ones I've seen just don't look like they're worth it.
#9 of 14 Old 06-24-2010, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks girls

Adorkable, thank you so much for the links. I think I am going to definitely be buying one of those. I have a flub/flap of skin above my previous incision that really bothers me. I am going to be talking to my doctor about it and hopefully this garmet will help with that this time. I really appreciate your help.

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).
#10 of 14 Old 06-24-2010, 10:38 AM

I'm surprised you have to buy one. The hospitals give them to all c/s patients here.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#11 of 14 Old 06-24-2010, 12:15 PM

I was never given one with my C/S, but really, really wanted one....I literally felt like my stomach was falling out!

I will probably invest in one this time around, but I have a friend who is a physical therapist and she says they are BAD-BAD-BAD? Something about your stomach muscles not being made to work as they should. I dunno...

Tracy

2 Rainbow babes, PPH/Hysterectomy survivor!
#12 of 14 Old 06-24-2010, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

I never even got the option to wear one while I was in the hospital. I couldn't even lay down! Not because of the pain from the incision, but the pain and discomfort of my organs moving around. It REALLY bothered me. I want to be able to lay down in bed and sleep this time instead of having to sleep sitting up in a reclining chair for a week.

#13 of 14 Old 06-24-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeg1973 View Post
I was never given one with my C/S, but really, really wanted one....I literally felt like my stomach was falling out!

I will probably invest in one this time around, but I have a friend who is a physical therapist and she says they are BAD-BAD-BAD? Something about your stomach muscles not being made to work as they should. I dunno...

Tracy
i would think that wearing one for many months with no break would be very bad on your muscles, but pulling things back into place and supporting them while you do light muscle training, seems like a all around good idea, plus those first days when things feel like they are falling all over the place, i see no reason to be in that kind of discomfort, we have better things to focus on at that point

#14 of 14 Old 06-25-2010, 12:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have the ITA-Med one that has been discussed in some other posts, I've been wearing it (on and off) since DS2 was 1 day old. I think it is helping and I like the support it gives, however I wish it was about an inch shorter. I'm not particularly short (5' 8") but even after I tug it down over my hips, it rides up uncomfortably toward my breasts. Enough to push them up a bit when I'm sitting down and press against them enough to make me leak everywhere. Just a little bit shorter would have been nice.

I also have a Medela post-partum support belt that a friend loaned me and it doesn't work well for me at all. It's too short and just rolls down immediately after I put it on.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page