2 heartbeats on fetal doppler? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-23-2010, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 9.5 weeks pregnant today. Late last week, I started to feel the baby move. This is definitely not gas. This is my 4th pregnancy, so I get the difference. I'm also showing like when I was 5 months pregnant with my other kids (). I realize that you show earlier the more you have, but this is something. My MIL immediately asked if this was twins, which freaked me out to say the least. I hadn't even told her I was pregnant - so much for sucking it in.

A good friend of mine suggested that maybe I was just further along than I thought (unlikely given the clockwork like periods) and loaned me her fetal doppler to see if I could hear a heart beat. Her reasoning was that if I could then I was probably further along. So . . . I used it. Now I'm more stressed - lol. On the right, I heard 165 bpm. On the left, I heard 135 bpm. These were within seconds of one another. I can also hear my heart rate of 55 bpm, which is my norm. I've repeated this 4 times now, and I'm consistently hearing myself at 55-60 bpm and two other heart rates that are 20-30 bpm apart (but in the 120-170 bpm range).

My question to women who have used fetal dopplers before is this: is one of the faster heart rates the cord/placenta? From what I've read, the "placental rate" would be about mine or a little faster, and the "cord rate" should be within 10 bpm or so from the fetus.

I moved up my 1st OB appt to this Friday instead of 2 weeks from now. I can only imagine his reaction when I confess to using this thing - lol.
#2 of 7 Old 06-23-2010, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm sorry but I kind of agree with your friend. Are you absolutely sure? 135 is on the slow side for 9 weeks and the literature I'm reading says the 'norm' is 160 to 190. Actually the PEAK heart rate is slightly after 9 weeks before it starts to slow down again.

Going on mainly the heartrate with a few of your other details I'd say you're probably a few weeks to a month further along than you think you are.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#3 of 7 Old 06-23-2010, 10:47 PM

Keep us posted! I'm curious to see what the ob says. Congrats either way, a healthy hb is wonderful!~

Married 16 yrs to DH, DS (3/06) x4 (11/04) (3/08) (3/09) (8/09)
DD born 9/24/2010 :
#4 of 7 Old 06-23-2010, 11:25 PM

i am 9w2d with twins and yesterday my heart rates were confirmed at 150's for one and 160's for the other. it was the first time they were measured, though we have seen them since 6w4d

there is always a chance that you are one cycle ahead of what you thought and the last period was not real, it happens around here more than i would have ever guessed.

only way to know for sure us get an ultrasound, i look forward to hearing what you find out on Friday

either way, come on over to the January Due Date CLub and join on up! we are a great group!!!

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#5 of 7 Old 06-24-2010, 12:45 AM

That would freak me out too!

I'm interested to hear what the OB says!

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#6 of 7 Old 06-24-2010, 12:44 PM

At 14 weeks we heard two heartbeats. There was about a 20 bpm difference between the two of them. There is just one baby in there. I have had two ultrasounds to confirm it.

Hope you can get some answers very soon.

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).
#7 of 7 Old 06-24-2010, 01:52 PM

I had a few times where it seemed like we heard two different heartbeats (which ranged pretty greatly) but theres just one little girl in there.

Yes, it could be twins, but it could also not be the only way to know is to get an ultrasound or wait until baby comes along.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page