Why make me wait until 11 weeks? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 06-25-2010, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 9 weeks, I've been hyperemetic, and I am PAL, at almost 17 weeks. We're trying to get an appointment so I can get some help managing the vomiting and dehydration. They prescribed motion sickness pills, and won't see me until I'm 11 weeeks.

I'm a little bit of a wreck over here, I've been bedridden for 3 weeks or more, and I can't function. I'm nervous having lost a child 6 months ago, and I would love to hear a heartbeat, to know that this misery is all worthwhile.

Why would they make me wait?????
#2 of 15 Old 06-25-2010, 10:16 PM

I have no idea why they won't at least see you to prescribe better meds. That's really crappy. I've had doctors just call in prescription medication for nausea with both pregnancies and one of them wasn't even my doctor (he was covering call).

They might want to wait on checking for a HB until 11 weeks because they don't want to stress you out if they can't pick it up before then? The heartbeats of lots of healthy pregnancies can't be picked up with a doppler at 9 weeks. Or the practice could just be really busy...

daughter #1 10/13/07
daughter #2 10/08/10
#3 of 15 Old 06-25-2010, 10:26 PM

I'd be looking for a new doc/mw who would see me sooner. Mine was very understanding of my PAL feelings and let me get an ultrasound at 8 weeks to check for hb. At the very least, they should be working with you on your meds. I'm sorry

~Manessa mama to one teenageer, one tweenager, and a toddler

#4 of 15 Old 06-25-2010, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I would be looking for a new doctor. After losses I just can't handle the suspense of not getting an early u/s.

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
#5 of 15 Old 06-25-2010, 11:09 PM

That seems strange to me, I didn't have PAL, but I had bad m/s and my midwife office wanted me to come in for drugs at 7 weeks. My last OB office even gave me meds 2 days after I got BFP (1 day after I called to schedule) because I threw up 17 times in one day!

I'd call another m/w or Ob office if you can.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#6 of 15 Old 06-25-2010, 11:14 PM

My Dr. wanted to get me in same-day when I went in for my pregnancy test! I couldnt, as I was getting the test to prove pregnancy for the medical coverage... but as soon as I called in about it I was in within a couple days.

I understand it may just be them being busy, but this isnt something that can just be pushed aside in my mind, like a yearly physical which can be scheduled for a less busy day, they should be arranging their schedule to allow for things like pregnant women!

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#7 of 15 Old 06-25-2010, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

It's a maternal health clinic. They made no mention of busy-ness, just said, oh we won't see you until 11 weeks. Stories told to them and all. Still they said, no, we'll wait until 11 weeks. The other place I would want to establish care won't see me becuase my insurance hasn't come though yet, they won't even make an appt without insurance.

It sucks to be broke and without health insurance in this country. I'm confident I wouldn't have miscarried last time if I'd been able to receive proper care in time.

That said, I would love and prefer a homebirth, but with me not able to work and dp unemplyed we're counting on state insurance and a hospital midwife birth. It's frustrating to not be able to have the choices I'd like.
#8 of 15 Old 06-26-2010, 12:33 AM

When I applied for state (OR) insurance I could go to a clinic and the state care would retroactively pay for the appointment (as long as the date of your appointment is after that which you applied for state care). I would call your caseworker to see if that applies to you and see where you can get some care quickly. I don't think you should have to wait if you are bedridden and terrified - thats horrible!
#9 of 15 Old 06-26-2010, 12:40 AM
Banned

That's incredibly frustrating policy. I'm sorry that you're going through this. I agree - health care in this country is crazy. Two years ago I was in a car accident and my government health care plan (I was a ADA) refused to pay for my ambulance ride because it hadn't been pre-approved.

One of the many things I'm looking forward to when DF and I get marred is his employer's health insurance - I've been paying for my own extremely expensive policy ever since my accident (I've got many pre-existing conditions so my deductible is insane). I've long dreamt about all the pairs of shoes I could have bought with the money I've spent in health care. So many strappy sandals that will never be mine.

s to you, mama. What they're putting you through is ridiculous. You're sick, they should make room for you in the schedule. Perhaps if you just showed up and waited they'd end up caving and seeing you early? It might be worth a shot.
#10 of 15 Old 06-26-2010, 12:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryLang View Post
I would be looking for a new doctor. After losses I just can't handle the suspense of not getting an early u/s.
#11 of 15 Old 06-26-2010, 12:58 AM

Are you in Portland OR? Can you apply for OHP or WIC?

http://www.oregon.gov/DHS/healthplan...shtml#eligible

This might help - good luck, that is just wrong that they won't see you sooner!

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#12 of 15 Old 06-26-2010, 01:05 AM

Hi Mama,

First off, major s - I haven't had hyperemesis but I did have two losses before giving birth to my baby girl almost a month ago and can definitely empathize with the anxiety you must be feeling. My personal opinion is that PAL mamas should have access to whatever care and/or services necessary to maintain as calm and stress-free a pregnancy as possible. Your peace of mind is integral to having a healthy pregnancy so if you can't switch to a more compassionate provider, you might consider lying about your symptoms to get an early ultrasound. I know that sounds awful and normally I would NEVER advocate dishonesty to anyone but being PAL is not a normal circumstance. Do what you need to for you and your little one, it's your right as a mother.

Best wishes and best of luck!

Working mama to a wonderful baby girl. Married to a really sweet guy. Just trying to do my best.

#13 of 15 Old 06-26-2010, 09:12 AM

One thought I have is that you could call a family planning clinic and see if you can get an appointment with a CNM there, who could write a perscription for better medications while you wait for regular prenatal care to be straightened out. The nurse midwife here, who can write perscriptions, used to work sometimes at the family planning clinic, too.

Might be worth a phone call, anyway.
#14 of 15 Old 06-26-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikigypsy View Post
One thought I have is that you could call a family planning clinic and see if you can get an appointment with a CNM there, who could write a perscription for better medications while you wait for regular prenatal care to be straightened out. The nurse midwife here, who can write perscriptions, used to work sometimes at the family planning clinic, too.

Might be worth a phone call, anyway.
I agree too, keep calling, maybe call around different clinics and see, because if you get dehydrated you could end up in the hospital with ivs and that would be a lot more expensive in the long run, or I don't know, maybe if you went to the the ER they would give you a prescription. I hope you feel better.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#15 of 15 Old 06-26-2010, 01:35 PM

is it the receptionist telling you 11 wks or an actual dr/mw? we actually left the practice we had our dd thru because the receptionist was so horribl;e during our pg with our 3rd loss. she adamantly refused to schedule me an appt prior to 8wks even though the dr had stated i needed to be seen and started on prog supps as soon as we got a bfp. with that pg, dh finally called and gave her what for about it and i magically got an appt the next week. when we switched practices and finally got pg with ds, they were amazing! the dr had me go in for weekly u/s thru the 1st trimester for the sole purpose of keeping things as stress free as possible. yes, it turned out to be a normal pg and the amoutn of u/s was probably overkill, but it allowed me to not live in constant fear for 12 wks. (we only learned about each of the losses thru u/s wks after the heart had stopped beating). if you like the practice, then i'd keep calling till they listen to you. it's ridiculous to make you wait and not only stress about how the baby is doing, but also because you've been so sick and the meds obviously aren't helping. i'd even say have your sig other call so that you don't have to deal with the added stress. if you don't like the practice, get references from people you know and trust and make a switch if possible.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page