How much chocolate is too much? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-26-2010, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Even if one were to take the 2008 study at face value and chose to limit caffeine to under 200 mg a day, that's still a pretty good amount of chocolate.

According to the USDA chart on this March of Dimes page, 1.45 ounces of dark chocolate has 30 mg of caffeine and half a cup of coffee ice cream (and I can't imagine chocolate ice cream would have any more) has 2 mg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisCat View Post
Even if one were to take the 2008 study at face value and chose to limit caffeine to under 200 mg a day, that's still a pretty good amount of chocolate.

According to the USDA chart on this March of Dimes page, 1.45 ounces of dark chocolate has 30 mg of caffeine and half a cup of coffee ice cream (and I can't imagine chocolate ice cream would have any more) has 2 mg.
ahhhhh... here I go again.... Just to be clear:

The 2008 study found two correlations:

1. Women who consumed 200 mg or more of caffeine per day (two or more cups of regular coffee or five 12-ounce cans of caffeinated soda) had twice the miscarriage risk (or 200%) as women who consumed no caffeine.

2. Women who consumed less than 200 mg of caffeine daily had more than 40 percent increased risk of miscarriage (as compared to those who had NO caffeine consumption).

Their conclusion was that there is no "safe" level at which to consume caffeine during pregnancy, and the more you consume the greater the risk.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:10 PM

One thing I have definitely learned today, God help anyone who tries to get between a pregnant woman and her chocolate!
Old 06-26-2010, 04:16 PM

Ladies. Let's please remember that correlation does not prove causation. It is the bane of so many studies.
Those ladies that drink tons of coffee or soda in the test could very well have other risk factors that may go along with high caffeine (stress, long work hours, lacking sleep, poor nutrition)
Medical studies on nutritional andcfood items I think are the biggest risk for failing to take these semi related factors in to account.

Let's share studies and let folks read, but fighting back and forth on the translation is just playing a game with semantics and no one is going to come out the winner.

We each make very personal choices about our particular risk levels and wants and needs. Hopefully we all make them after learning as much info from a wide variety of sources. It's ok if we don't all come to the same conclusion.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Old 06-26-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0xxie View Post
ahhhhh... here I go again.... Just to be clear:

The 2008 study found two correlations:

1. Women who consumed 200 mg or more of caffeine per day (two or more cups of regular coffee or five 12-ounce cans of caffeinated soda) had twice the miscarriage risk (or 200%) as women who consumed no caffeine.

2. Women who consumed less than 200 mg of caffeine daily had more than 40 percent increased risk of miscarriage (as compared to those who had NO caffeine consumption).

Their conclusion was that there is no "safe" level at which to consume caffeine during pregnancy, and the more you consume the greater the risk.
Thank you for pointing that out. I suppose of should have said "Even if one took the recommendations from major organizations like The March of Dimes that were at least in part based on that 2008 study at face value and chose to limit caffeine to under 200 mg a day, that's still a pretty good amount of chocolate." Either way, that chart addressed the OP's question about amounts.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by •Adorkable• View Post
Ladies. Let's please remember that correlation does not prove causation. It is the bane of so many studies.
Those ladies that drink tons of coffee or soda in the test could very well have other risk factors that may go along with high caffeine (stress, long work hours, lacking sleep, poor nutrition)

I honestly think we (in the US) gets caught up in "forbidden" foods. I am curious if other countries have studies and lists of foods that can't or shouldn't be eaten during pregnancy, aside from specific cultural beliefs.

Like I mentioned, my OB never mentioned anything about chocolate or soda to me and my current midwife doesn't mention chocolate or soda in her papers and never mentioned anything when I met her in person. I would think if it was that huge of a risk, something would be mentioned before I was 12 weeks so I could avoid it. I was asked about alcohol, physical abuse, smoking, drugs, other medication. Nothing about chocolate. I personally can't wait until m/s is over so I can enjoy it again. And a soda.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
Old 06-26-2010, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillymonster View Post

I honestly think we (in the US) gets caught up in "forbidden" foods. I am curious if other countries have studies and lists of foods that can't or shouldn't be eaten during pregnancy, aside from specific cultural beliefs.
I find this to be a fascinating topic b/c I think that most of the forbidden foods are totally ridiculous and basically a version of the telephone game.

In France and England, women are allowed a few alcoholic drinks a week. But in France, salads are a no-no. Japanese women eat sushi. In America, they scare women about unpasteurized cheese, when you would have to work very very very hard to find unpasteurized cheese, and it is not going to be served to you at a restaurant. I ignore all of these and eat what I want.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014
Old 06-26-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisCat View Post
wow!!! I could not imagine you eating more then 10 oz of dark chocolate or 5 cups of ice cream!? in one sitting so I bet we are ok

Mommy to one champagne.gif
Old 06-27-2010, 06:10 PM

5 cans of soda? 2 or more cups of coffee? daily!? really who does that while pregnant?

I've always refrained from caffeine because i heard about premature birth risks...I've never actually heard the miscarriage risks.And i still refrain while nursing for some time because I don't want to risk a fussy baby. But chocolate? No...I'm really not going to be too concerned about that.

homeschooling, breastfeeding, cosleeping mama to ds1(7), ds2(3) and dd(3 months)
Old 06-27-2010, 07:42 PM

Ok, last pregnancy, I
- didn't have caffeine
- had horrible morning sickness
- had great betas
- had a u/s at 7w2d with a heartbeat
- am at a healthy weight for my height
- do not smoke or drink
- am 27
- eat healthily

...and still miscarried. So while I choose to not eat massive amounts of caffeine during pregnancy for my own sake because I am so affected by it, I will eat chocolate ice cream, love feta (I know, it's pasteurized), eat deli meat, and generally enjoy the pregnancy as much as I can because who knows what tomorrow will bring?

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
Old 06-27-2010, 07:47 PM

Eating more than your body weight in chocolate is highly discouraged.

I can honestly remember more than a few times during my pregnancies where I sat down with a bar of godiva chocolate, planning to just have one piece, and ate the whole thing. We all survived, and i was a less cranky pregnant woman for a few hours. Win/Win.

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
Old 06-27-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Eating more than your body weight in chocolate is highly discouraged.
Aww, man, that's too bad.

Really, though, sometimes chocolate may be necessary for sanity, and baby needs a sane mama!

Jen, mom to DD1 10/01; DD2 6/05; DS 11/10; and 2 older cat.gif
Old 06-27-2010, 11:20 PM

Ok, who else has ended up with a massive chocolate craving after reading this thread? I think a trip to the store for some chocolate ice cream will be on my to-do list tomorrow

Me bfinfant.gifDP caffix.gif one silly 5 year old  boy blahblah.gif and a brand new babyboy.gifcd.gif  signcirc1.gifgoorganic.jpg
Old 06-28-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaMoo View Post
Ok, who else has ended up with a massive chocolate craving after reading this thread? I think a trip to the store for some chocolate ice cream will be on my to-do list tomorrow
I ate a whole Dove chocolate bar this morning...I shared a few squares with my kids!

yum yum!!!

And Ben and Jerry's Brownie chocolate ice cream is sounding good!!!

homeschooling, breastfeeding, cosleeping mama to ds1(7), ds2(3) and dd(3 months)
Old 06-28-2010, 11:24 PM

Yeah, I HAD to make chocolate chocolate-chip cookies today thanks to this thread. DD1 asked for a cookie while we were out today, and instead of saying no, I suggested we go home and make them so I could have some too (I'm gluten-free). Yum yum yum!

Jen, mom to DD1 10/01; DD2 6/05; DS 11/10; and 2 older cat.gif
Old 06-29-2010, 02:37 AM

i have been being saved by a amazingly good Organic meal shake called Orgain, i have one the moment i wake up or im just too hungry to think.

lastnight i woke up and finally realised that i was too hungry to SLEEP! grabed one and drank it at 3 or 4 am and then fell back asleep like a log

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Old 06-29-2010, 06:00 PM

All this talk of chocolate...chocolate bars, chocolate ice cream...

Methinks I'll have a chocolate brownie sundae with extra fudge for dinner tonight. MMMMMmmmmmm (I don't think I'll be able to wait that long, but I'll try!)

BTW, when your puke tastes like a chocolate bar, or you start craving veggies, it's enough.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:02 PM

Chocolate ice cream has:

healthy antioxidants from the cocoa
protein
calcium

So I don't think there is a thing as too much.

Crunchy Christian Wife and Mommy to awesome DH and DD1 (4/25/07) and DD2 (8/13/10)
Old 07-06-2010, 12:22 AM

I'm glad to come upon this thread... I just ate 2 chocolate-covered granola bars today- is that bad? I am 11 weeks tomorrow and so far have avoided any caffeine (including chocolate) until today.

I have had 4 m/c's in the past, and I did everything perfect with those pregnancies, and still m/c-ed. By far, most m/c's are because of chromosomal abnormalities (mine def were). They can't be prevented, and m/c is inevitable.

Anyway, so now I feel slightly guilty about my two choc granola bars... you think baby will be ok?

Mommy to beauties DS1 (7), DS2 (4, autism), & DS3 (2)

and many angel babies angel1.gif

Old 07-06-2010, 12:26 AM

baby shouldn't be bothered by that amount of chocolate.

I've had 1 darn near perfect pregnancy, one healthy until just a week before birth, and two miscarriages. Caffeine up until the "pukies" with all 4, and resuming after the pukies subsided with all but my last pregnancy. Just felt like I didn't "need" the caffeine anymore, but believe you me I ate PLENTY of chocolate!

Babe will be fine with the chocolate covered granola.

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
Old 07-06-2010, 01:44 AM

LOL. I just noticed a HUGE banner ad for an online coffee shop right at the top of this page! Silly computer: Right words, wrong context

Happily muddled mom to baby Kiki, 11/2010

User Tag List