Did you go "overdue" while taking fish oil? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 06-29-2010, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm freaking out here (but only mildly because the fish oil keeps me so happy) because folks in my DDC are saying that taking fish oil lengthens gestation, but I can't seem to find much about this online. I'm taking about 2000 mg daily (about 1000 mg total omega 3), and I'm convinced it's why I've been fairly mentally sharp and relaxed this pregnancy, but I sure as heck don't want to go unnecessarily past date with this baby. I didn't take any fish oil with my first and she was born 4 days past my due date, so let's get some anecdotal evidence going here.

If you took fish oil in your last pregnancy, did you deliver early, on time, or past date? And if you have a non-fish oil pregnancy to compare it to, so much the better.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 28 Old 06-29-2010, 07:11 PM

thought I'd give my very scientific input- I was past my EDD by about 5 days (first pregnancy though so actually gestated for shorter than average). I don't feel like I ever lost my mind during my pregnancy and am (2 weeks into baby) still feeling fairly mentally healthy both brains and emotions wise so if the krill had anything to do with it I'd go "overdue" again in a heartbeat!
#3 of 28 Old 06-29-2010, 08:00 PM

My midwife also recommended fish oil for mood stabilization and I love it. (I am also on Zoloft but I need that pregnant or not). She has never said anything about it lengthening gestation. I have an appointment this week though so I can ask her about it but I have honestly never heard of fish oil doing that.

Crunchy Christian Wife and Mommy to awesome DH and DD1 (4/25/07) and DD2 (8/13/10)
#4 of 28 Old 06-29-2010, 08:16 PM

Now I'm going to have to do some research. I took 4000 mg a day with my last pregnancy and was 8 days overdue.

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets
#5 of 28 Old 06-29-2010, 08:25 PM

I have had fish oil pregnancies and non fish oil, and they were both equally overdue. So, I think you're okay.

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

#6 of 28 Old 06-29-2010, 08:30 PM

I took fish oil (2400) with both pregnancies. DD1 was 2 weeks early, and DD2 was 3 weeks early.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#7 of 28 Old 06-29-2010, 08:35 PM

I took fish oil with my last two pregnancies ... one went 11 days over and the other came 5 days early. I've heard, too, about it possibly lengthening gestation, but not to any dangerous degree. I'm taking it this time around, too (I have multiple sclerosis, and it's been a godsend for me), and I'm not worried about it.

At-home mom to a teenager, an infant, and three in between!
#8 of 28 Old 06-29-2010, 08:41 PM

It seems it is used to prolong pregnancy in women who have had preterm birth/labors before. There was an original study done in 1992 and then one done in 2007, I think.

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets
#9 of 28 Old 06-30-2010, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seren View Post
It seems it is used to prolong pregnancy in women who have had preterm birth/labors before. There was an original study done in 1992 and then one done in 2007, I think.
That's the only info I could find, as well. I think I won't worry about it. The benefits far outweigh any possible negatives, which is only slight discomfort, really.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#10 of 28 Old 06-30-2010, 03:16 PM

I take fish oils during pregnancy...first one I delivered 1 hr before my due date, so right on time.

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
#11 of 28 Old 06-30-2010, 03:55 PM

I've read a lot about fish oil, and talked to drs about it (some that really, REALLY believe in it helping pregnancy and good development), and this is the first I've heard about it lengthening gestation.

And for me, no. It did not lengthen gestation. My twins (no fish oil) were born at 40wks1day. My singleton (lots of fish oil) was born at 38wks.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#12 of 28 Old 06-30-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seren View Post
There's a BIG difference in fish oil "prolonging" a pregnancy to a healthy term and fish oil making otherwise healthy pregnancies go past-due. Making a pregnancy healthy-long is not the same as making it over-long. I think you could probably stop worrying about this one.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#13 of 28 Old 07-01-2010, 06:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What I have heard (and I haven't looked up references - that I can recall) is that in cultures where these oily fish are consumed as a main part of the diet and/or regularly, they tend to naturally gestate longer. That doesn't mean it's unhealthy, but certainly could be a factor if you're going to run up against time limits.

So, my MW recommends switching over to EPO sometime in the 3rd tri. I'm only approaching 20 weeks so we haven't talked about it this time, though.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#14 of 28 Old 07-01-2010, 09:35 PM

Wow, this is actually very cool! I will be looking into taking it after two preterm births!
#15 of 28 Old 07-01-2010, 11:41 PM

Interesting- I have never heard this either, but I did not take fish oil in my first pregnancy, which was 39+5 and I DID take it in my second pregnancy and delivered at 41+1. I use it for anxiety and can definitely tell a difference if I don't take it. I have also heard recently that it can contribute to bleeding and to discontinue it before birth, but I hadn't heard that before my last delivery and didn't stop it. I didn't have any bleeding problems.
#16 of 28 Old 07-02-2010, 02:56 AM

I HAVE heard that, I recall hearing/reading that Scandanavian women have longer pregnancies and have higher intakes of fish oil.

I saw something online from a hospital library mentioning intake of fish oil can prevent premature labor.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#17 of 28 Old 07-02-2010, 07:22 PM

I've never heard of that, but come to think of it...

I took fish oil regularly with my first pregnancy and delivered at 41+2. I didn't take it during my second pregnancy and delivered right on my EDD!

Laura, married to Daniel 12/16/2000
Claire b. 6/29/06 and Andrew b. 4/20/08 and #3 due 2/8/11!!
#18 of 28 Old 09-16-2011, 10:01 AM

I took fish oil throughout first pregnancy, and was induced at 42 weeks + 3 days.   :-(    Didn't dilate even 1 cm on my own.    Pregnant again, and plan to stop the fish oil in the 8th month.   Really, really want an intervention-free delivery this time around!

#19 of 28 Old 09-16-2011, 03:53 PM

From the studies, I believe that this has more effect on women that would otherwise be at risk for preterm labor and/or small for gestational age babies. I haven't read anything that would suggest that it extends the length of a healthy pregnancy any further than normals. It is great as a mood enhancer, helps brain and eye development in babies, and also helps baby's immune system.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#20 of 28 Old 09-17-2011, 02:34 AM

11 days overdue on fish oil for me

Mother of two boys and a stork-boy.gif on the way!

#21 of 28 Old 09-17-2011, 04:38 AM

I took fish oil for both my pregnancies. One was a micro-preemie (26 weeks) and the other one was exactly on the due date.

treehugger.gifgoorganic.jpg mother to micro-preemie DD1 and 2E PG DD2. Stepmother to trans DSD. Owned by acat.gif! Pregnant and due 6th June '12. cd.gifnocirc.gifbfinfant.gif

#22 of 28 Old 09-17-2011, 09:33 AM

How interesting! I didn't know that fish oil contributes to a better mood and possibly longer pregnancy! I have been taking DHA/EPA since before I was pregnant and just took it for the health benefits for baby's brain development.

I will say that even my fiancee has commented on how easy this pregnancy has been for him lol. His co-workers always told him horror stories about how emotional and "different" their wives became when pregnant, but I've really been the same person I always was. Not emotional, not depressed (and I am prone to depression), and emotionally stable!

It will be interesting to see how long my pregnancy goes. This is my first, and I'm currently 35 weeks along!

#23 of 28 Old 09-17-2011, 12:19 PM

No fish oil in first 2 pregnancies- 40 weeks

Fish oil in 3rd pregnancy- 39 w +1 d

I think it's very beneficial for me and the baby... I'm 32 weeks right now and taking it, as I do when not pregnant as well.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#24 of 28 Old 09-18-2011, 09:15 AM

I took fish oil during my last pregnancy and was 10 days early
#25 of 28 Old 09-18-2011, 09:59 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I've taken krill oil in all 3 of my pregnancies.  I really don't think that it will make you go LONGER than you're supposed to.  It may very well help your baby stay in for the right amount of time though.  :)

#1 - 41+2d

#2 - 40+3d

#3 - TBA

I think that this is one of those reverse-wording kind of situations.  If your body is not healthy, it will deliver a baby earlier.  If you get proper nutrition, than you still stay pregnant for the full amount that your baby needs..

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!
#26 of 28 Old 09-19-2011, 07:30 AM

I took flaxseed oil in my first pregnancy and was 2 weeks late. Second pregnancy, flaxseed again and on the due date. Third pregnancy I took fish oil and was on the due date. I don't know, but I am upping my fish oil just in case because I do not want to go any earlier than a few days before my due date,hopefully right on or after. My mom is having surgery 3 weeks before my due date and won't be able to travel for 2 weeks...so if I have her early she won't make it out.

#27 of 28 Old 09-19-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchin View Post

How interesting! I didn't know that fish oil contributes to a better mood and possibly longer pregnancy! I have been taking DHA/EPA since before I was pregnant and just took it for the health benefits for baby's brain development.

I will say that even my fiancee has commented on how easy this pregnancy has been for him lol. His co-workers always told him horror stories about how emotional and "different" their wives became when pregnant, but I've really been the same person I always was. Not emotional, not depressed (and I am prone to depression), and emotionally stable!

It will be interesting to see how long my pregnancy goes. This is my first, and I'm currently 35 weeks along!

I took only a DHA supplement last time, and EPO during the last month. This time I was on cod liver oil before, and only slightly lowered my dose because it was too much oil for my digestive system during pregnancy. I've had a MUCH easier time this go 'round. I'm still hormonal, but I can deal with things easier than last time. I definitely think the fish oil has something to do with it.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#28 of 28 Old 09-22-2011, 03:53 PM

I've been taking fish oil for many years, and I heard about this when I was pg with DS, so I stopped taking the fish oil at 37 weeks. He was born 2 days later! He was very healthy and seemed ready, even though I was quite surprised to have him show up so early! I don't know if it had anything to do with the fish oil, but this time I'll keep taking it until at least 39 weeks.

I was very healthy aside from normal pg complaints, and so was DS (and the placenta) when he was born - I don't think that a baby coming a little early is necessarily a sign of anything wrong.

L'lee reading.gif ~ C geek.gif ~ E broc1.gif May, 2006 ~ Rjoy.gif12/29/2011nocirc.gif goorganic.jpg ecbaby2.gif homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page