A few questions about first visit. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-06-2010, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello all,

I am about 10-11 weeks pregnant, and have my first visit with my OB today. I am actually doing a homebirth, so he is backup/parallel care (is there a difference?).

First question. I have pretty bad morning sickness and have not been eating well at all. Will this significantly affect any blood test results. Would it be better to wait to get bloodwork done until I feel better, or should I just go ahead and do it?

Secondly, is there really a need for an internal exam at this first visit? I had a pap done 2 months ago, and I know they don't require this again. My midwife said that there would be no need for an internal, as I have been pregnant before. What exactly are they checking for with an internal? And do you guys have any opinions on whether it is necessary?

I know I can refuse anything. The OB is the only guy in town who does back-up to homebirth, and I want to have a good relationship with him, so I don't want to stir the pot. Hopefully he won't have a problem if I don't want to do it. But what are the reasons for and against having an internal the first visit? (I never had internals during the rest of pregnancy)

Thanks!
#2 of 4 Old 07-06-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macha10 View Post
Hello all,
First question. I have pretty bad morning sickness and have not been eating well at all. Will this significantly affect any blood test results. Would it be better to wait to get bloodwork done until I feel better, or should I just go ahead and do it?
Do it now, it doesn't make a difference. I haven't been eating and lost weight and I did it, and nothing was wrong with my tests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macha10 View Post
Secondly, is there really a need for an internal exam at this first visit? I had a pap done 2 months ago, and I know they don't require this again. My midwife said that there would be no need for an internal, as I have been pregnant before. What exactly are they checking for with an internal? And do you guys have any opinions on whether it is necessary?
There should be no other reason for an internal other than pap. Unless they do an internal sonogram, I don't know when they stop doing those. I only had pap done because it had been over 2 years. Oh wait, she did check my uterus location, but I don't believe that was internal, it was just because I was laying down.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#3 of 4 Old 07-06-2010, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Do you know for sure that the OB will want to do an internal exam? As far as I know, internal exams are not standard anymore except for when there is a need for either a pap, which you don't need, or a transvaginal ultrasound, which is very unlikely given how far along you are.

If the OB says they want to do an internal, I think you have to ask why and then decide. This is perfectly reasonable and shouldn't cause any offence.

As for your blood tests, go ahead and do them. Your morning sickness won't affect them.

Congratulations and I hope your appointment goes well!

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and Littlest Lake due mid-Dec 2014.
#4 of 4 Old 07-06-2010, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

No, I have no knowledge that the OB does require the internal. I wasn't sure if this was a standard practice. My last pregnancy, a different OB did one the first visit, but come to think of it she may have done a pap too. Also, the CNMs that I transferred to last time did an internal, to feel my uterus I guess, during the first visit, even though I wasn't gettting a pap done.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page