Questioning "Adequate Bedrest" After CVS test - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-09-2010, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there mamas,

I had a Chorionic Villus Sampling screening test this morning and have been ordered strict bedrest for 24 hours and minimal activity for 72 hours total afterwards. It was transcervical and I have had no fluid or blood spotting at all today, no fever, no side effects other than boredom!

I am an active person, 38 years old, and have a flatwater canoe paddling overnight campout planned for Sunday (that's 48 hours after the procedure). I am wondering whether anyone else who has had the test before had any complications that might warrant my being overly cautious to the point of cancelling the trip. It is a straightforward one-hour paddle-out, an overnighter in a tent, and a paddle back the next day. I set the pace. Anyone advise against? Of course I'm just asking for opinions, so please feel free to have your honest say; I am responsible for whatever happens when I make my decision

Thank you so much for any advice!
Stephanie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2010, 02:11 AM

I don't know if this helps, but when I had my amnio, the peri said that if something is going to go wrong, it will almost always go wrong within the first 24 hours.

I was very serious about the 24 hours of bedrest. On the second day I pushed myself too hard, and ended up feeling abdominal/uterine cramps...so for the rest of the day I took it very, very easy. If you could get 48 hours of serious rest in, you could try the canoe trip.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
Old 07-10-2010, 11:00 AM

I was told to take (and did take) the first 24 hours seriously. After that, I pretty much went back to my normal routine.

My perinatologist told me that, while the first 24 hours are the most critical, the risk goes back to normal by 1 week. Personally, I wouldn't have done anything outside of my normal daily routine until then. BUT, that would be for my own peace of mind - not because I think it would be dangerous, but because I'm not keen on opening myself up to any extra "what ifs".

Carrie .. 
Raising a full house- Kings (12, 3, new) over Queens (8, 7)

User Tag List