Then my husband tells me one of his customers said you should never be home when you are cleaning an oven because it is so bad it actually killed all of their pet birds! OMG. Did I just kill my baby or give my kids lung cancer?!?!?!
I am really freaked out. I should have known better
I know our self cleaning oven works by heating up to a super hot temperature to burn off the stuck on food, so there are no chemicals involved- just an intense amount of heat. It is good that you noticed it was bothering you and opened the windows.
Did you add some type of oven cleaning spray or something like that? This would be the only thing that would concern me.
I have a friend who owns a restaurant and has had 3 young children and I know for a fact that she scrubbed the store ovens (more than once) during pregnancy WITH oven cleaner, with her face/head right in the oven (while it was off of course) and her children are perfect.
Dirt worshiping, creatress Mama to Rowan and Alden - home birth loving, no circ, no vax, extended breast feeding, cloth diapering, baby wearing, cosleeping
I wouldnt feel comfortable leaving an oven on while we WEREN'T home.
Did you make sure to clean out any excess food left in the bottom of the oven before turning it on? Having too much stuff in there burning off can cause the reaction you described.
I would not worry about the baby or your kids or your own lung health from this, really, as you likely were not sitting there for hours in this air and probably cleared it all out within minutes of it starting to burn.
BTW... you and your children are not birds. Things that are toxic to them are not always toxic to you. Things that are toxic to you are not always toxic to them. Keep that in mind.
Probably not great, but there are a lot of worse things. Ventilate, find somewhere else (I second close because that oven gets hot and who knows what's bound to happen, it seems ominous to me) to go for a while, think happy thoughts. Drink lots of water to flush out anything that might've gotten to you. Eat extra vitamin C for good measure.
Totally throwin those last two things out there, but when I do them when I get scared about something it always makes me feel better, like at least I'm doing something....
I cannot stand the smell put off by oven cleaning. It is smells toxic, and it makes me sick. There is no way that that smell can be good for anyone.
But, I am sure your babies are fine. It will not be the worst thing your kids will be exposed to. I know someone who run who runs the self-cleaner at least once a week. I don't know how they do it. (This is where I get exposed.) They are fine.
(does anyone else think it is rude to run the self cleaner when you have guests over?)
FWIW, I don't think I have talked to one mama who didn't have a story like this. It is either an MRI exposure, roller coaster, trampoline, IBuprofrun, soda, coffee, alcohol, etc.
But birds are not people. Birds can be killed by the bacteria in a cat's saliva, but if my cat licks me, I'm fine.
Sure, smelling those fumes are probably not good for any living creature, but they probably aren't any worse than the fumes from rush-hour traffic.
living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003 DS 2007DD 2011
I don't think you are supposed to put oven cleaner in a self cleaning oven. You may have done some damage to your oven. I'm no expert, but I think that's why they are called self cleaning, because you don't need cleaners.
|44 members and 11,185 guests|
|Amberline , AR Chu MA Chow , bananabee , DahliaRW , Deborah , eeb388 , frugalmama1 , girlspn , happymamasallie , incorrigible , JElaineB , justsamma , katelove , Katherine73 , LibraSun , lightinp03 , littlec , mamapigeon , meghanmetz , Mirzam , MommyKelly , Mommymel95 , moominmamma , newmamalizzy , NightOwlwithowlet , NomadMom9753 , oaksie68 , philomom , RollerCoasterMama , rubelin , SandyLittle , shantimama , shoeg8rl , Skippy918 , Springshowers , sren , stellanyc , Xerxella , zebra15|
|Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 12:21 PM.|