"Jack" for a boy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 07-13-2010, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH and DD both love the name Jack and I am getting positive feedback from others, but I am not so sure. Isn't Jack really a nickname for John? Wouldn't that be like naming my kid "Bobby"? (not that there's anything wrong with that, just not my thing). Also, I am concerned it is pretty popular. Lastly, our last name is a fairly common two syllable name that ends in "er" (like Baker)and it just sounds so common. My daughter's name (Quinn) is getting popular but not in the top 50. Would it be classic or boring? Any opinions would be so appreciated.

Mama to DD 4/06 notes2.gif  new DS stork-boy.gif born 17/12/10 familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 33 Old 07-13-2010, 11:39 AM

Personally, I really like the name Jack. I have a good friend named Jack, and it's not short for anything. He's just Jack (and for the record, the only Jack I know).

Part hippie-chick, part type-A career woman, all mama. Enjoying life as a wife to my partner of 11 years, and a mama to our smarty-pants toddler, Cadence.

#3 of 33 Old 07-13-2010, 11:48 AM

My oldest is Jack and it's just Jack - not after John, Jonathan or Jackson. Besides him, I only know two other Jack's that he's gone to school with or had playdates with.
We love it because it's a strong name and a simple name. Easy for him to spell and write. Looking at him and knowing his personality, the name Jack certainly fits him!

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#4 of 33 Old 07-13-2010, 11:48 AM

My step-nephew is named Jackson, who we call Jack. I've never heard it short for John though.

Good luck!
#5 of 33 Old 07-13-2010, 11:56 AM
2xy

Jack was a nickname for John in the OOOOOLLLLLLLDDDDD days. Kind of how like Molly used to be a nickname for Mary. Neat little blurb about that here.

I think most people nowadays don't think of Jack as a nickname. I know one little-kid Jack and one teenage Jack. The teenage Jack goes by Trey, because he's Jack the III.

I like the name Jack. Jackson is cool, too. Maybe Jackson with your last name would sound less common, and you could still call him Jack...?
#6 of 33 Old 07-13-2010, 12:01 PM

I know a few boys just named "Jack." It's a real name now, not a nickname....much like someone mentioned with "Molly."

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#7 of 33 Old 07-13-2010, 12:07 PM

My Jack is Jackson. He is the only Jack or Jackson we know-he's almost 16. Jaxon is up and coming but Jack really isn't.

Karen, homeschooling Catholic mom to 8. #9 due 6/10
#8 of 33 Old 07-13-2010, 12:12 PM

Lots of kids named Jack/Jackson/Jaxon, etc. around here. LOVE the name Jack. Hate the name Jackson.

Homeschooling mama of four fantastic kids and wife to one great guy.
#9 of 33 Old 07-13-2010, 12:32 PM
Banned

Another "I love it" vote.

It used to be a nickname for John, but I feel it works perfectly on it's own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorbywords View Post
I've never heard it short for John though.
John F. Kennedy ring any bells?
#10 of 33 Old 07-13-2010, 12:47 PM

Yeah, technically it's short for John, the same way "Hank" is short for "Henry." But I agree that Jack has enough popularity to stand on its own as a name these days.

While I like the name, it's much too popular/trendy for my tastes. (Currently ranked at #39, almost as popular as when it reached it's popularity peak of #18 in the 1930's.)

Then again, if you like the name and it suits your babe, that's what really matters, right?

Mama to A (08/10) & E (03/13).
#11 of 33 Old 07-13-2010, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightForest View Post
Yeah, technically it's short for John, the same way "Hank" is short for "Henry." But I agree that Jack has enough popularity to stand on its own as a name these days.

While I like the name, it's much too popular/trendy for my tastes. (Currently ranked at #39, almost as popular as when it reached it's popularity peak of #18 in the 1930's.)

Then again, if you like the name and it suits your babe, that's what really matters, right?
Yeah, except it would annoy me a lot if he were one of 3 Jacks in his class, that's where the trendiness gets me. I really appreciate the opinions, everyone I have consulted IRL has positive associations with the name. And JFK was what made me think it was more of a nickname for John than a real name itself, so thanks for the opinions on that front, too.

Mama to DD 4/06 notes2.gif  new DS stork-boy.gif born 17/12/10 familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#12 of 33 Old 07-13-2010, 01:18 PM

Maybe I'm "ooooolllllddd" school, but I think Jack is a nickname. I also think Molly and Hank are nicknames.

I like traditional names that have been used for hundreds of years- John, Mary and Henry would certainly qualify. I feel connected to the past that way. Just one opinion, though.

Mother to R- 2/09, & C- 5/11

#13 of 33 Old 07-13-2010, 01:19 PM

I love the name Jack. All Jacks I've known/know are great spirits, it's like nothing can keep them down. I guess I just have a good name association with it. It is pretty popular though. That didn't stop me from naming my second Alexander though, which is supposed to be pretty popular.

Don't trust anyone under 5! Mom to 3 boys under 5. Blogging to save my sanity.
#14 of 33 Old 07-13-2010, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I like Jack.
#15 of 33 Old 07-13-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbear'smama View Post
Yeah, except it would annoy me a lot if he were one of 3 Jacks in his class, that's where the trendiness gets me.
Oh I TOTALLY hear ya - and I agree completely! But name popularity can be hard to predict - it's like, once you notice that something is trendy, then chances are high that it is already decreasing in trendiness. The trends are easy to see in retrospect, of course...

Mama to A (08/10) & E (03/13).
#16 of 33 Old 07-13-2010, 02:11 PM

I like Jack, but I would name the kid John and use Jack for a nickname, or name the child Jackson or something similar that can be shortened to Jack. But that is just me. Don't worry about it being too common, I think if you stay out of the top 20 you are pretty safe these days.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#17 of 33 Old 07-13-2010, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I love it and I think it is officially a name in it's own right, no longer only a nick name for John.

However... it is SUPER popular here. I'd even guess that it is the most popular boy's name (age 5 and under) in my immediate area. Honestly, I think I know more than 10 - no exaggeration. More keep popping up including my cousin's newborn. As far as I know, they are all simply Jack (not Jackson or John).

I think it has something to do with John having been so common for the last century - so many people have a dad or grandpa named John that they want to pay tribute to.

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.
#18 of 33 Old 07-13-2010, 02:15 PM

I like it...but....we had a dog named Jack when I was growing up. We have a 'no naming children after dead animals' rule in our house (at least that was dh's excuse....).

Mama to Ahnna-Bella (Dec 05) dust.gif, Harrison (Oct 08) kid.gif, and Kellan Wilder (Jan '12) baby.gif

#19 of 33 Old 07-13-2010, 02:18 PM

My middle ds is Jack, but it is Jack for Jon (he's named after my grandfather).

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#20 of 33 Old 07-13-2010, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've heard of Jack as a name in its own right. I know of at least two family members with the name (a little boy named after his late grandfather), plus an "Uncle Jack" (which might have been short for Jacob.)

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#21 of 33 Old 07-13-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
DH and DD both love the name Jack and I am getting positive feedback from others, but I am not so sure. Isn't Jack really a nickname for John?
No. John is a nickname for Johnathan and Jack is a nickname for Jackson. But I think both John and Jack are fine names by themselves. It wouldn't be like Bobby because that is a rather uncommon nickname for the name Robert. (Rob or Robbie would be much more expected). John and Jack are so commonly used that they are now their own names as well as nicknames.

With that said, I would never chose it because it's just not our style. It's way too 'common', 'plain', 'traditional' however you chose to describe it. If that's your thing, go for it.

Happily unmarried to DP guitar.gifParenting: DD (March '06) energy.gifwaterbirth.jpg, DS (August '10) fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg, and our furry kids dog2.gifGuiney Pig, dog2.gifPo the POlice, and cat.gifMrs. Puff. Loving WAHM life in the Mortgage Bizz with DP.

#22 of 33 Old 07-13-2010, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessieBird View Post
I love it and I think it is officially a name in it's own right, no longer only a nick name for John.

However... it is SUPER popular here. I'd even guess that it is the most popular boy's name (age 5 and under) in my immediate area. Honestly, I think I know more than 10 - no exaggeration. More keep popping up including my cousin's newborn. As far as I know, they are all simply Jack (not Jackson or John).

I think it has something to do with John having been so common for the last century - so many people have a dad or grandpa named John that they want to pay tribute to.
Awww, JessieBird, we live in the same area!!! Darn it, I had no idea it was so popular around here!! I will have to think about this new piece of information...

#23 of 33 Old 07-13-2010, 03:00 PM
LZP

Love it. I do think of it as a NN for John, but I think you could simply name your DC Jack, there's no requirement that says you HAVE to use John or Jackson. it might be a little more popular than in the past decade, but it's not crazy popular around here... if you all love it, that's what matters! go for it!

and FWIW, i have all good associations with the name Jack too. Makes me think strong, caring, charismatic and independent but not aloof.

The babymoon isn't over! Our long awaited A born 7/18/10, making us laugh and smile every day.
#24 of 33 Old 07-13-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busymama77 View Post
it's a strong name and a simple name.
ITA. Love it! And FWIW, I have only actually met a couple of Jack's in my life. I'm 30.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#25 of 33 Old 07-13-2010, 03:35 PM

I love the name Jack but it is hugely popular in my area as well as with people I know outside of area (i.e. people I only keep up with on Facebook). I feel like there are lots and lots of little boys named Jack now, even though growing up (I'm 35) I knew only one Jack. I think names like Jack and Henry are really making a comeback.

FWIW I think of Jack as a name in its own right as well as a nickname for John. Maybe I'm kind of casual like that. I don't really like "Jackson" but that's just me (no offense intended to anyone with that name!).

Poppan ~ twins born April 2007
#26 of 33 Old 07-13-2010, 04:55 PM
2xy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaB21 View Post
No. John is a nickname for Johnathan and Jack is a nickname for Jackson.
I've never heard that John is a nickname for Jonathan (or Johnathan). John and Jonathan are both Hebrew names with slightly different meanings....John means "God's grace" and Jonathan means "God's gift."

Jack has been a nickname for John in the past. Like another poster said....think of JFK. The name John has been around for a long time....there's even a whole section of the Bible that's allegedly written by someone named John.
#27 of 33 Old 07-13-2010, 05:47 PM

My fiance and I have been having the same debate! We like the name Jack, but we don't want something "trendy." We didn't even realize it was until we saw it on a "top" names list. I think we would choose it anyway, because we really like the name that much. Good luck deciding!
#28 of 33 Old 07-13-2010, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Awww, JessieBird, we live in the same area!!! Darn it, I had no idea it was so popular around here!! I will have to think about this new piece of information...
Oh yeah! I've noticed your "location" on other posts and thought you must be from Quebec! I am in the Outaouais/Ottawa area, in a small town that is 50/50 Fr/Eng (so more Eng than most of QC). Jack might not be as common in other parts of the province or even in the rest of Canada for that matter, and it may just be a coincidence that my circle of friends/family have gotten so hooked on the name. It's easy to see why though - I think it's a perfect boy's name. Being short makes it cute but it's also rugged and intelligent and confident - all very good things!

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.
#29 of 33 Old 07-13-2010, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessieBird View Post
Oh yeah! I've noticed your "location" on other posts and thought you must be from Quebec! I am in the Outaouais/Ottawa area
Me, too, live on one side work on the other, hence "between" the two solitudes...

#30 of 33 Old 07-13-2010, 08:28 PM

I have a John Thomas ___ (also a very common last name). We call him Jack after his Grandfather. I just love the name, especially for little boys. It brings back memories of my dad reading me nursery rhymes before bed!

Wife to Joe and Mama to Rosie, 6/28/06, Jack, 10/25/08 and JoJo 3/18/10.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page