October Mamas: week of March 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 67 Old 03-15-2004, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good Morning and Good Monday to you all. Hope you enjoyed a relaxing weekend! I'm 9 weeks today and can't believe the 1st trimester has only 3 weeks left!!

OCTOBER MAMAS:

momtol&a
chrissy 09/28 (honorary October mom!)
snugglebutter 10/01
mirthfulmum 10/03
FutureMama 10/04
TracyK 10/04
mhurst 10/04
kraftykathy 10/04
water 10/06
Lucysmama 10/12
bendmom 10/12
momadance 10/13
wannabmommie 10/18
Piglet68 10/18
BeauGeek 10/20
BeansMomma 10/20
CourtneyandLogan 10/21
ScooterMama1 10/21
Stanleymama 10/23
3boyz4us 10/24
aspiring mama 10/25
truebluexf 10/27
ameliabedelia 10/29
flitters 10/30
Soogie 10/31
AnnR33 10/31

I slept a LOT this weekend, which was nice. On Saturday I awoke to a very bloated tummy (gas) which made me feel six months pregnant, lol. Fortunately it went away the next day.

Question of the week: are you still wearing "normal clothes", and if not, what's the weight gain thus far?

I am down to my last two pair of regular pants that fit me, and I've been having to undo them in the afternoon. My Mum is sending my maternity pants (stored in her basement) so I should be wearing them by then end of the week. My weight gain thus far is about 2 pounds, give or take a pound. Does anybody know how much we're supposed to gain in the 1st trimester?

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#2 of 67 Old 03-15-2004, 11:27 AM

hi, ladies! thank you so much for all the hugs....sorry i haven't responded since i first posted, i was gone to get my sister from the airport in MN...a 7 hr drive....anyway, just an update...i continued to spot/bleed lightly all weekend...and yes, it was a transvaginal US and i thought about the cervix thing, i just didn't expect it to be so much and for 3 days!...right now the "discharge" is dark brown...the only other thing i could think of...i counted on the calandar and if i weren't preg. i would/could be having a period around when the spotting started...so, i wonder too if that's what it was or just the irritation of my cervix from the US probe.... : my dr won't be in the office till fri...he had the *nerve* to take his fam on vacation skiing, can you believe that..... thanks again for the hugs!

i only had one pair of jeans prior to getting preg...i do the rubberband trick and don't zip them...:LOL...i need to go buy some knit elastic pants....my maternity stuff would just look silly.

i am so torn and sad...i decided when i started spotting that i was going to have to wean ds cold turkey....he isn't doing the best with it...i'm just too nervous to keep nursing him...he's 21 mos old, so i know he has had a great start and we had an awesome nursing relationship...i just wish it didn't have to end harshly like this, but i need to be protective of the little bean too, ya know? i hope is adjusts soon...

hope everyone has a great day!
#3 of 67 Old 03-15-2004, 12:49 PM

Carrie - So sorry you are feeling bad about weaning. That's tough. Hope your spotting stops soon!

Piglet - I am due October 12th, not October 4th. Just so you can update the list!

I don't know how much I have gained, but I suspect it's a couple of pounds. Like I said, I'm not monitoring my weight with this pg. I think you are "supposed" to gain 0-5lbs...but everybody does it differently. With my last pregnancy, I gained 12 in the first tri! I had been on a crash diet when I go pregnant, though - not very healthy - and I think my bod was like, "Food! Yay!!! Let's hold on to this!"
#4 of 67 Old 03-15-2004, 01:03 PM

Carrie - to you and your little guy. My DS also loves to nurse and has been very slow to wean. I understand your stress. I wish you two the best of luck.

Piglet - I guess you missed it last time when I posted my due date. I am due Oct. 3rd.

I don't know how much weight I've gained (I don't own a scale) but I am now wearing maternity clothes. I'm at 11 weeks and it was last weekend that my husband's pants were just getting too tight to wear. So I have one pair of pants from Old Navy that are supposed to last through out the whole pregnancy (although I have a hard time believing that I'll fit into them at nine months, especially if I gain 50 pounds again ) and two pairs of overalls that I now live in. The pants that I have that have belly pannels just look silly right now so it'll be a while before I'm big enough to fit them. Although at the rate I seem to be grow when pregnant who knows :.
#5 of 67 Old 03-15-2004, 01:05 PM

Carrie-just wanted to send you send you some positive thoughts and hope all is well!

I have not gotten on the scale and I'm afraid....I gained about 10 lbs in the first tri with my previous 2 and I'm on track for that I think I just had to dig around for some "fat" pants this last weekend and ain't elastic grand All my button pants are too snug for comfort. So until I get big enough for maternity pants I have about 4 prs of pants I'll be wearing over and over-hate that.
Still having the light spotting here too and have an u/s on Tues to make sure all is well. I never had u/s this early with my first 2 and feel kind of alarmist doing it now but I can't help wanting to see the heartbeat just to aleviate some worry-KWIM?
Talking to the dr on Tues about switching to pills or shots for the progesterone to see if that eliminates the spotting...we'll see.
Take care
Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#6 of 67 Old 03-15-2004, 01:37 PM

This is so cool, I never knew about this thread! I'm due with #2 Oct. 4th. It's so great to hear from other Oct. mamas as well. I'm still wearing my regular jeans..... well really only 1 pair, the ones that were huge on me and have some stretch to them! As much as I love being pregnant, I hate the weight gain. I don't know how much, but I'm sure I've gained 5 lbs already. I'm a petite person, but when I gain weight I get thick all over, yuk! But that's the body I have, so I guess I have to make the best of it. The good thing is that I lost all the weight (50 lbs, yikes) after the 1st pretty easily, so I'm hoping I'll do the same this time. It takes the pressure off and doesn't make me feel as bad about the fatness!

Ann, I didn't know you were pregnant, congrats! One of these days we'll have to hook up, I've heard great things about you from the other Iowa mamas! Good luck with your u/s, I'll be thinking about you.

Carrie, good luck with the weaning. I'm also trying to wean my 2.5 y/o ds, but I don't have the added pressure you do. You're doing the right thing and I hope it happens smoothly for you two.

Take care mamas!
Tracy
#7 of 67 Old 03-15-2004, 01:49 PM

thanks everyone!

Tracy, where in Iowa are you? i'm in southwest iowa about 45 mi from Council Bluffs.
#8 of 67 Old 03-15-2004, 01:59 PM

Carrie, I'm in Iowa City. I just moved to Iowa so I'm not too good with the geography yet. I've heard of Council bluffs though. I LOVE Iowa!!! I'm from illinois but lived in north carolina for 7 yrs. and couldn't wait to get back to the midwest (nothing wrong with NC, just missed family and winter!). I met an awesome group of Iowa city/Cedar rapids mamas on MDC before I moved here. If you're ever out that way, let us know!

Tracy
#9 of 67 Old 03-15-2004, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

I added the EDD's I missed, thanks ladies!

Well, I never bought "panel" maternity clothes. I bought adjustable ones. Mostly from Pea in the Pod and Mimi Maternity (ah, the days pre-child when we had two incomes, lol). They have neat combinations of drawstrings and multiple fastener settings that allow me to wear them quite comfortably through my pregnancy. They are a bit big at this point (I started wearing them at around 9 or 10 weeks last PG) but they aren't ridiculously loose, either.

For some reason I found it really depressing to go out and buy "normal" clothes in larger sizes. Isn't that silly? Like I had to say to myself "I'm not moving up a dress size! I'm just pregnant!".

Carrie: sorry to hear about your weaning woes. that must be so hard for you and your son. I don't know what I would do in your shoes, but I hope it goes well for you both!

And hi! to TracyK. I can't believe you missed the MidWest Winters. I'm in Cleveland right now and HATING the fact that it's mid-March and we're due for a snowstorm this week. In my hometown of Vancouver, spring has already begun!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#10 of 67 Old 03-15-2004, 02:38 PM

Carrie- I know how you feel. I had to quit cold turkey the day ds turned two because he was having an operation on his teeth. At least your son isn't going from bad to worse after being weened(I hate that word). I tried to find something else comforting to take over what he lost, but it's almost like he didn't even consider it after a few weeks.

I still haven't started with maternity clothing yet. They freak me out. Do women really want to wear tent shirts and large panel pants? I went through a depression about clothing w/ my first preg. I ended up with some pretty tacky stuff, but no panels. I will cave this week and get some drawstring shorts and a maternity tank with built in bra. With my chest growing a size a day, I figure I'll go with them built in so I don't have to keep buying bras.

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
#11 of 67 Old 03-15-2004, 03:08 PM

hi everyone!

this morning, sitting here at work i very suddenly began to experience the copper penny in throat flavor. thankfully, it has faded and since i forced down some breakfast (dh is so sweet - he made me a quesadilla with extra lettuce) i'm feeling pretty good!

i'm just over 7 weeks now and haven't gained anything yet (well, maybe a pound but i don't think so really). i have definitely redistributed a bit though - since my workouts are more gentle i've lost some back muscle and i think it has found its way around to my tummy, which is ever so slightly sticking out a bit. the only way i can really tell is that we've been taking weekly pics and there is a definite but small tummy on week7 whereas week6 was still flat. it'll be another few weeks i think before i start looking for maternity clothes. most of my jeans (i wear jeans every day) are soft denims and don't come up all the way to my waist and they are loose everywhere anyway so i have room to grow into my existing wardrobe.

i did buy some new bras (less stretch, more supportive) and was a bit disillusioned. i was so sure i would be a B cup now, but alas, the A still fits better. at least i fill it up most of the way now!

take care everybody!

me dh ds1 (11/04) ds2 (7/10) and
#12 of 67 Old 03-15-2004, 03:15 PM

I think that I am probably somewhere around eight or nine weeks now. So, maybe another three or four weeks until the end of the first trimester? I'm still throwing up nearly every day and the nausea is really beginning to wear on me. I'm hoping that all of this MS will magically dissapear when I hit the beginning of the second trimester!

I don't know whether I've gained any weight. If so, it probably isn't much more than a pound or two, most of which are probably my breasts! I've always been a rather small chested gal, so I'm quite tickled by this new busty me!

I had outgrown all of my old pants so at Christmas time I bought several new pair(before I even knew I was pregnant). I was in between sizes (most 10s were slightly too tight and most 12s were slightly too big) so I erred on the side of comfort and bought the 12s. Since they were all a bit big to begin with, I have some "wiggle room" before these get uncomfortable. I'm hoping to not have to upgrade to anything roomier until summertime when I can go straight to shorts!

My first midwife appointment is a week from today, which is also my DHs birthday. Does anyone know when they can detect a heartbeat using the doppler? It might be a bit early, but I think it'd be a fantastic gift for DH to be able to hear the baby's heartbeat for his birthday!

Glad to hear that everyone else is still hanging in there!

Jenny.
#13 of 67 Old 03-15-2004, 03:54 PM

are we just starting *9 weeks, Pig? I thought we were 10! :LOL I'm *really ready for second tri!

Pants I bought in Jan aren't closing. I need to break down and get some maternity. *Hate the panel look, want some adjustable or low rise. Not sure how much I've gained, also don't own a scale.

Most folks I know who move here to NC the weather. :LOL

I've kept food down for two days!

10wks for hb, I think.

I just ate a Red Baron (single) pizza and salad. Time for a . I didn't eat a penny....but,
#14 of 67 Old 03-15-2004, 05:14 PM

I just found this thread I'm due October 20th

I've lost weight so I can still fit into some of my regular clothes, but maternity are more comfortable.

Married Mom to K(8), K(7) & C born March 23rd.
#15 of 67 Old 03-15-2004, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by wannabmommie
are we just starting *9 weeks, Pig? I thought we were 10!
Actually, we're both right. We have just *completed* our ninth week, and are just beginning our 10th.

This used to always confuse me when looking at a "your baby week by week" reference. Which week am I? lol

Hi BeauGeek!
Adding you to the list...

#16 of 67 Old 03-15-2004, 05:37 PM

beau! 24 hr restaurant....:LOL

I was about to feel *real stupid, and be kinda bummed that I wasn't in the 10th week. Have an appt with the mw friday....not sure after the thread or debate in the case of some, : I started if I want the doppler or not. Pig, I tell ya, over my head. :LOL Reading some of the info you gave in that post was too much for this former music teacher. :

twenty tiny baby teeth are forming in the gums this week....
#17 of 67 Old 03-15-2004, 05:59 PM

well, naptime for ds wasn't too bad...i was able to convince him to just rock with mommy and he was content to do that...i was so relieved...i will rock him 2 hrs at a time if he wanted, just so there is some other way he can have mommy time that isn't nursing, kwim? thanks for the well wishes, they mean a lot.

Tracy -- i'm on the other side of the state... ...but you and Ann are closer together. my aunt lives in Solon which is outside IC.

i haven't stepped on the scale since before conception, so i don't know how much i've gained.
#18 of 67 Old 03-15-2004, 08:31 PM

Hey everyone!
I think I may have gained like a pound so far. Last time I didn't really gain much until 4-5 months. So, I'm still in all my regular clothes and jeans. My jeans are all low-rise so that may help. I can't wait to go in next week to hear the heartbeat. Futuremama- you can hear it at 10 weeks usually, if no one else has answered you yet.

We finally told family and they're all ecstatic. Surprisingly they all think homebirthing will be really cool. My m/s has subsided a lot - mainly due to my constant eating.

Old Navy has the cutest maternity clothes, I can't wait till I'm farther along and can wear some of that stuff.

Mom to two boys, 7 and 10.  Expecting 3rd boy any day now with DH (his first).

#19 of 67 Old 03-15-2004, 09:44 PM

Good Evening Everyone

I made a batch of oatmeal and choc. chip cookies today. Now I want to :Puke at just the thought and smell of them. And I didn't even eat one Dh and the boys are enjoying them though.

I don't think I have gained anything yet. I usually don't starting showing till like 4 mos. Around 4-5 mos. I get the maternity clothes out. Who knows though--this time could be different. Old Navy does have really cute maternity clothes.

We have our first ob appt. on thurs. Really excited about that

Have a restful night everyone
#20 of 67 Old 03-15-2004, 11:12 PM

Carrie, sorry to hear about the weaning. I hope it goes smoothly for you.
Ann, good luck with your ultrasound. I can' understand the worry.

As far as weight gain goes, I avoid scales like the plague, so I have NO idea. I can't stand weighing myself, so I don't do it.

I am still wearing all my regular clothes, but I have noticed that they are tighter than before. I am the kinda person who buys all my clothes on the slightly bigger side. I can't stand tight clothes, however my jeans have gotten "slightly tighter" Plus, all my pants are low-rise, so I think that makes them fit longer. I also can't stand having things directly on my waist, I always wear my pants low. I didn't start wearing maternity clothes with dd until I was like 6 months, and I could still "hide" my pregnancy at 7 months if I wanted. I didn't show until really late with dd. I can't remember when I stopped wearing button or zippered clothes and switched completely to elastic, I think it was around 4 months or so with dd.

However, I think I am going to show earlier with this one. I can already feel myself pooching out.

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

#21 of 67 Old 03-16-2004, 10:53 AM

Hi all. 8 weeks tomorrow for me. Clothes? Well, I don't fit in anything with buttons LOL. I've gained 4-5lbs, have a nice little belly starting, can't fit in anything but drawstring or elastic waisted pants but maternity is still a bit silly looking. Only a couple more weeks for me I'm sure!!

M/S is still here. Blech, I am so sick of feeling sick and having to eat constantly. Only 4 more weeks right????

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#22 of 67 Old 03-16-2004, 01:44 PM

My due date is October 4th.

I'm at 11 weeks and 2 days!!! I'm just starting to feel better even without the B6 (though I keep taking them, but sometimes I forget). Except early in the morning and late at night. Sometimes I still feel queasy then. But it doesn't last nearly as long.

My hubby made me a roast last night because I've been craving meat! Usually I barely eat any meat. Not veggy, but just don't have a taste for it, ya know? But I guess I need the protein and eggs give be nasty gas pains (and ironically we live on an egg farm) So I will definately indulge this craving. All I want is meat and green salads. Not too bad.

I don't think I've gained weight though I haven't weighed myself. I haven't been extremely hungry yet and still feel aversions to certain foods. My stomach is getting a little rounder though!

I don't think I will have to worry too much about maternity clothes. Maybe a couple of tank tops or tees for summer. I tend to where drawstring, made in india, hippy dippy skirts which fit no matter what your waist size is, lol! That and tee shirts or tank tops or sweaters. I don't like pants, except for big ole overalls. I wouldn't mind a pair of maternity overalls!

Anyone experiencing the mysterious shrinking bladder? I'm already peeing a million times a day. I'm going to have to live in the bathroom or have a catheter by month 8 or 9, lol!

Have a great day!

Kathy

kathy::
#23 of 67 Old 03-16-2004, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

I've been SOOOO hungry lately! I've really noticed the last few days an increase in my food intake. I also wake up very very hungry in the am. I guess that explains why I've gained 2 lbs now, lol.

I can't wait for my maternity pants to get here. One of my last two pairs of "normals" that fit are feeling quite uncomfortable today.

Not much else to report. Hope everybody is doing well!

#24 of 67 Old 03-16-2004, 02:45 PM

me too....I had to get up during service Sunday and go to the nursery where they were serving snack. One of the youth helpers was ready to offer me some popcorn. I stood at the back of the church chompin while Pastor did a demo and then tossed it and ran back up to work the projection system. At the same time I told dh that he had to make a run for me so I could have some food while I waited for him to count the moey. I was ready by the end of church! ag

I was able to stomach my sweetened rice flakes again;but, by midmorning hungry jack is ready for another feeding!

Amy, I was wondering where u were. I dreamed about you. (and ain't even seen you...) You were wearing a side snap cover. :LOL You weren't the only one. I can't remember who else was there......now *that's a weird one....
#25 of 67 Old 03-17-2004, 01:48 AM

Hi there everyone! I'm new here, and due with our first on October 14. I'm really excited about catching up with other October Mamas!

truebluexf, I'm 9 weeks, and m/s is really trying me, too! Some days seem to be much better than others, but usually I'm always just on the verge of throwing up! Yuck! I seem to try everthing, but nothing really helps - I'm just counting down to week 12! My sleep schedule is so messed up - anyone else having trouble sleeping? I guess I have to get up so much at night, and it takes me a while to fall asleep again.

We're not sure if we want to use a Doppler at the next meeting with our midwife - but we'd love to hear the heartbeat! Does anyone know when you pick up a heartbeat with a fetoscope?

kraftykathy - yes, my bladder is so small, it's so deceiving! And I crave meat and salads, too! My husband's vegetarian, and he's been so sweet and cooked me up several steaks!

I guess I've gained 3 pounds - I just bought the next size up in pants. Talk to everyone later!
#26 of 67 Old 03-17-2004, 02:07 AM

OMG, so I think I said before in last week's thread that I am avoiding sex/orgasm in the first tri....

Last night, I ACCIDENTALLY orgasmed, and I am so freaked out about it!!! Ok, so you're wondering how that happens...I had a sex-dream, and that was all it took! I woke up mid-orgasm like, "Oh no!"

I am really worried now. Please calm me down!!!!!
#27 of 67 Old 03-17-2004, 03:29 AM

Everything is going to be okay Lucysmama.
Unless you are an extreamly high risk pregnancy orgasms do not cause miscarriage. Unlike my unfortunate lack of sex drive during pregnancy, a girlfriend of mine had a very active sex life with her husband through out her first pregnancy. She told me that pregnancy sex was the best sex she ever had actually (lucky her). And the best part was that a week before her due date she gave birth to a very healthy 8 and a half pound boy.
My suggestion is to relax and give yourself a chance to enjoy these little pleasures. This just may be your body's way of releasing some extra sexual tension since you haven't given yourself an outlet for awhile.
#28 of 67 Old 03-17-2004, 03:37 AM

Yeah, everything's okay. That happens to me quite frequently. I often wondered how I would be able to comply w/ a doctor's order of no orgasms during pregnancy if ever that happened since I wake up with them from time to time. I'm sure everythings fine. I've also found that the sleepy kind aren't as intense as the uh, intended for kind.

I didn't see your previous post about this, are you a high-risk? Or are you just trying to be extra careful? Just curious. Don't worry, your body is just doing what it needs to.

Mom to two boys, 7 and 10.  Expecting 3rd boy any day now with DH (his first).

#29 of 67 Old 03-17-2004, 09:56 AM

Mandi

If I pee one more time.... I am sitting somewhere or in bed and I have to get up and pee! :

uhhhhhhhhh...wow, I just wake up and look for dh. Then I remember myself. So, *I'm not getting any in first tri, I read in FP that 2nd tri is the honeymoon tri. Will things pick up? *I'm actually missing it; but, will it hurt... the boobs! :

I saw an old friends and Rachel was going crazy in her 4th month. I was wonderin if that was true. Is there hope for an orgasm (with dh that is), before I give birth.
#30 of 67 Old 03-17-2004, 12:29 PM

HI Mandi

I too have been having some sleep issues. I toss and turn til I get the comfy position and then lay there and try to sleep. Some nights aren't so bad, but some nights I toss and turn a lot and wake up tired. ALso I gotta make sure my pillows are all tucked in the right spot so I don't wake up sore. Does anyone else need pillows yet for support?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page