Breastfeeding & Zofran? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-19-2010, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
[X-posted in breastfeeding]

I'm about 9 wks pg and still breastfeeding my 19 mo old. As with my 1st pg, I have awful awful pg sickness and asked to get Zofran again because that's what got me through the TEN MONTHS OF SICKNESS last time.

But I just realized... of course I was breastfeeding anyone last time....

Is it safe to assume that if it's safe for a developing fetus, it's safe for my toddler? I'm going to ask my doc this week as well, but what do you guys know about it?

Thanks!
#2 of 6 Old 07-19-2010, 02:22 PM

I am pregnant, BFing, and on Zofran.

Zofran is now approved for use in newborn surgical patients, so my doctor cleared it for me. If it's okay for direct administration to newborns, then it's most likely fine for my bfing daughter, especially considering the small amount she'd recieve through breastmilk.

I weighed the options, and knew that if I didn't get on Zofran, I wouldn't be able to breastfeed, period. I couldn't keep down enough food and water to care for myself, my new baby, and my daughter, and was losing a lot of weight. I decided that I'd rather take Zofran and be able to continue breastfeeding as long as possible (esp. since my daughter was only 6 months old when I got pregnant) than not take the drug and have to wean her.

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
#3 of 6 Old 07-19-2010, 02:28 PM

my midwife looked it up in a breastfeeding book when I asked at my 7 week appt and she said it was okay. I did nurse DD for about 3 weeks while taking it, she weaned around 10 weeks. I don't know if it lowered milk production, or if she was just done (she was 3) or if she stopped because I would have to get up and vomit whenever she nursed or if it made the milk taste different. I don't know, she kind of stopped wanting to nurse everyday, so I just cut her off because it made me sick.

I believe it is a class B drug.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#4 of 6 Old 07-19-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ein328 View Post
I am pregnant, BFing, and on Zofran.

Zofran is now approved for use in newborn surgical patients, so my doctor cleared it for me. If it's okay for direct administration to newborns, then it's most likely fine for my bfing daughter, especially considering the small amount she'd recieve through breastmilk.

I weighed the options, and knew that if I didn't get on Zofran, I wouldn't be able to breastfeed, period. I couldn't keep down enough food and water to care for myself, my new baby, and my daughter, and was losing a lot of weight. I decided that I'd rather take Zofran and be able to continue breastfeeding as long as possible (esp. since my daughter was only 6 months old when I got pregnant) than not take the drug and have to wean her.
I'm 20 weeks now and still breastfeeding. It seemed like a safer option than me being hospitalized or having to wean. It didn't seem to affect ds. It didn't work this time for me (for the majority of my sickness- the first 16 weeks) but I did give it a try.

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#5 of 6 Old 07-19-2010, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mommas that helps me feel a bit better! I also feel that if I wasn't taking it, I'd not be keeping down enough food and water to nourish DD, dear baby or me. It's also probably the only thing that enables me to crawl into work still, although once I'm here I feel like a nauseous jellyfish sitting on a log...

But it helps a lot to ease my brain and heart a bit on the zofran, so thanks!
#6 of 6 Old 07-19-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LROM View Post
[X-posted in breastfeeding]
Is it safe to assume that if it's safe for a developing fetus, it's safe for my toddler?
Not as a rule, since Unisom is even "safer" for a developing fetus than Zofran but it's contraindicated for breastfeeding. And there are a few herbs I can think of offhand that are safe for pregnancy but could kill your milk supply. (And others that are safe for breastfeeding but not pregnancy.)

Zofran is L2 though so pretty safe I took it this pregnancy while breastfeeding my toddler. I mainly took it so that I COULD breastfeed my toddler. My reasoning was that losing a ton of weight through puking wasn't good for my milk supply. (I also took Zofran prior to this while breastfeeding for a really bad stomach flu.)

daughter #1 10/13/07
daughter #2 10/08/10

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page