Diarrhea Instead of Vomiting, Am I the Only One? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 07-19-2010, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone else here have morning sickness that involves diarrhea moreso than vomiting? For the first several months of my pregnancy with my first child (7 years ago) I felt continuous nausea and always had diarrhea, and never actually threw up til I was 3 months pregnant and then I started to feel better from that point on. It got to the point where I was afraid I was not digesting anything at all and it was just going straight through me. This pregnancy seems to be similar though not quite as extreme, and although I have thrown up once (and dry-heaved a few times) my nausea is generally always accompanied by "the runs" instead. Of all the moms I have talked to in my lifetime, not one other person has had this. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this? I'm not really worried, just wondering if I'm a freak of nature or if there are others out there like me.
#2 of 19 Old 07-19-2010, 06:55 PM

Diarrhea is one of my first pregnancy symptoms besides sore boobs- I think it has to do with all the hormones wrecking havoc on my poor digestive system. My morning sickness was never bad with my twins and this time it's only slightly worse.

FWIW- I've never thrown up with any of my pregnancies.

read.gifLibrarian, Wife and Mostly Crunchy Domestic Engineer. Mama to two little "birds"- ID di/di twin girls (3/09)twins.gif and a "fuzz" (2/11) babyboy.gif
#3 of 19 Old 07-19-2010, 11:16 PM
myk

yes! i get this awful queasy feeling, go to the bathroom, debate which end points to the throne, and ultimately have a seat. they say you're supposed to be constipated when you're pregnant. i'm normally stopped up due to medication side effects, this is downright WEIRD to me! i've thrown up some with nausea but ...er... we won't count the times it's gone the other way in a hurry

January 2011
#4 of 19 Old 07-19-2010, 11:21 PM

you are not alone
#5 of 19 Old 07-20-2010, 12:03 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
If anything weird is happening to my body I have diarrhea. It kind of freaked out the postpartum nurse when she came in to give me a laxative trying to convince me that I shouldn't be afraid of pooping and I said, "Uhm, I've pooped three times." I guess it's my super power or something. I have spent a lot of time wondering what constipation must be like as a novel idea.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#6 of 19 Old 07-20-2010, 12:35 AM

Yeah I have that too. Not too bad, but much looser than normal plus very gassy, too. Sorry, TMI! Plus I'm throwing up maybe 1-2x per day - ugh. I didn't have that with my first pregnancy though, just this time around.....

enjoying motherhood way more than science:
married to DH love.gif (2003) mama to DDenergy.gif(Nov 2008) & DSbabyf.gif   (Mar 2011)

#7 of 19 Old 07-20-2010, 12:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightkindofme View Post
I guess it's my super power or something.
awesome superpower!

I had this this pregnancy. I sometimes felt that if I didn't vomit when I sort of felt like it, then I'd have it worse, like it was all the badness in my tummy coming out the other side! If I vomited I got out all the bile and felt better, and seemed to avoid tummy issues, too.

That said, sometimes it just happened. Also, a certain noodle soup I ate a few times made me sick, too-- it finally clicked that it was always a day after eating that! So a food log might help, if you can stand to think about food at all!

But you're not alone
#8 of 19 Old 07-20-2010, 01:28 AM

That happened to me this pregnancy. I had the runs almost every morning for four months, with vomiting less often--more like a couple of times a week. Not fun! I think it made it very hard to stay hydrated, especially because water made me feel queasy.

lucky mom to Oliver, 8/6/07, and Finn, 11/28/10, and wife to DH
#9 of 19 Old 07-20-2010, 01:30 AM

I was like that for the first few months. I have irritable bowel and it got a lot worse at first, but now it's pretty much settled out. Go figure, I actually threw up a few times in the 2nd trimester instead.

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
#10 of 19 Old 07-20-2010, 11:45 AM

yes... i have/had both. it's the pits. i just say a little prayer that the next day it will be -gone.- hasnt happened yet!

#11 of 19 Old 07-20-2010, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Me too - turned out I had hyperthyroidism (transient kind that just comes with pregnancy and thankfully resolved by 6 mos). Two symptoms are severe vomitting and diarrhea. Yuck! But better than constipation I suppose. Might be worth getting a blood test just to rule it out as there are complications if the thryroid hormone levels remain out of whack at the end of pregnancy.

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.
#12 of 19 Old 07-20-2010, 08:28 PM

I've had both this pregnancy. For the first 23 weeks or so it was vomitting. Now (at 26w) I am able to keep more down but seem to have more loose bowels- it's like my stomach has to be rejecting it one way or the other. This pregnancy has been a crazy ride.

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#13 of 19 Old 07-21-2010, 12:36 PM

Thanks for helping me put two and two together... At the start of my first pregnancy we were in the tropics, I started having "intentional issues" and for a couple weeks I just though I had gotten a parasite. Well, 9 months later my sweet little "parasite" was born!

It's happening again this pregnancy. No fun, but I'm glad to see I'm in good company!
#14 of 19 Old 07-21-2010, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Some prenatal vitamins have stool softeners in them. I read a post once where a mama was having diarrhea and thought it was a pregnancy symptom. It turned out to be the prenatal vitamins. She switched to some without the stool softener and the diarrhea went away.
#15 of 19 Old 07-21-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk View Post
yes! i get this awful queasy feeling, go to the bathroom, debate which end points to the throne, and ultimately have a seat.
This is me exactly, with both my last pregnancy and this one. I didn't throw up once last time, and hope I can skip it with this one too - I figure, at least things are *supposed* to come out the other end... Anyway, glad I'm not alone.

Wife to my hubby and SAHM to two boys -  DS1 (2) and DS2 (newborn).  Forever missing our three angels in Heaven. 

#16 of 19 Old 07-22-2010, 02:26 PM

Ok, you guys made me laugh! But this has been me too. I was not sure if it was a symptom perhaps or what. Glad to know we aren't alone. Need to make sure to drink a bit more I guess to make up for it.

Jcregan, Mom to DD 4yo. DS born 3/10/2011.winner.jpg  waterbirth.jpg   and trying cd.gif  for the first time.
#17 of 19 Old 07-31-2010, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk View Post
yes! i get this awful queasy feeling, go to the bathroom, debate which end points to the throne, and ultimately have a seat. they say you're supposed to be constipated when you're pregnant. i'm normally stopped up due to medication side effects, this is downright WEIRD to me! i've thrown up some with nausea but ...er... we won't count the times it's gone the other way in a hurry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCats View Post
This is me exactly, with both my last pregnancy and this one. I didn't throw up once last time, and hope I can skip it with this one too - I figure, at least things are *supposed* to come out the other end... Anyway, glad I'm not alone.
Yes! I try to keep a bucket right beside the toilet for those moments! At least you don't have to reapply make-up after "the runs"... unlike vomiting!
#18 of 19 Old 08-02-2010, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I got both for the 1st trimester... and still have the Diarrhea. I'm 37 weeks. Never had constipation once...
#19 of 19 Old 06-11-2014, 07:09 AM

thought I was the only one... sometimes I have not eaten for hours and I poop for 20 minutes or poop right after I eat!:-[

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page