Does the uterus move around? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-25-2010, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I'm just about 12 weeks pregnant, and have been stalking my fundus for a few weeks. I *think* I can feel it, sometimes. I think I can feel it more when I'm standing up. I can't always feel it laying down. I've been told, I have a really large pelivs by every midwife who has been acquainted with my pelvis, LOL. I don't know if my uterus can get "lost" in there.

I only ask, because I had a loss around 12 weeks over the winter, and my only real clue something was awry was that my fundus seemed small (er) to me.

Michelle, Mama to ~ F (10/06) ~ S (7/08) ~ H (2/11) ~ B (11/12)
Expecting a surprise (5/15)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2010, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I couldn't feel mine regularly until... 16 weeks?

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
Old 07-25-2010, 11:39 PM

I could barely feel mine just above my pubic bone at 12 weeks. Typically, the uterus pops out from behind the pubic bone around 12 weeks.

Now at 14 weeks I can reliably feel it while lying down.

However, in the mornings when I wake up, and my bladder is full, my uterus pops up to a bit below my belly button. And when I empty my bladder, it goes back down.

So yeah, I wouldn't be surprised that based on how you sit/stand, or if you might have a full or empty bladder, your uterus might be positioned slightly different.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella99 View Post

However, in the mornings when I wake up, and my bladder is full, my uterus pops up to a bit below my belly button. And when I empty my bladder, it goes back down?

So yeah, I wouldn't be surprised that based on how you sit/stand, or if you might have a full or empty bladder, your uterus might be positioned slightly different.
I could feel it pretty early (def. in the first trimester) after a full night's sleep and a full bladder. It moves around a lot, based on my experience.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
Old 07-26-2010, 02:27 AM

I think that they do move a bit for sure.. at an early stage it is probably harder to tell, but once baby is bigger I think that they can actually stretch it out more depending on how they are positioned. I'm 25 weeks and im sure that some days it is higher than others.. def. with a full bladder it gets higher..after O or during BHx when the uterus is really sqeezy it seems bigger/higher...

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Old 07-26-2010, 04:23 AM

Probably not what you mean, but historically the uterus was thought to "wander" a woman's body at whim! We were taught that that's why wedding rings were invented, to "trap" the uterus into the ring finger

Mum to Quinn, Aug 14th 2010
Old 07-26-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern View Post
I think that they do move a bit for sure.. at an early stage it is probably harder to tell, but once baby is bigger I think that they can actually stretch it out more depending on how they are positioned. I'm 25 weeks and im sure that some days it is higher than others.. def. with a full bladder it gets higher..after O or during BHx when the uterus is really sqeezy it seems bigger/higher...

full bladder, any sort of muscular contraction, as you get further along, babys position...

totally normal to move around a LOT.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting, thanks. I actually woke up having to pee in the middle of the night, and tried to feel it - how anyone can relax their stomach muscles when having to go to the bathroom without peeing on their bed is beyond me. LOL. But I think I felt it a few inches above the pubic bone at that time.

Does anyone who has a large, deep pelvis find that they feel it later than most?
I feel like when I'm laying down, it just falls back into my pelvis. My pelvis may resemble that of an ox. BTW.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:26 PM

i have a large pelvis... dunno about deep but I am large-boned... even when I have very little body fat I am still a large person...

I still find I can find mine easy and early and feel babies kick extremely early (just before 9 weeks with this little gymnast!) but ... we are all built differently! Even beyond how our bones are... my uterus tips forward and I am extremely sensitive down there (both inside and out)

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnegansmom View Post
Interesting, thanks. I actually woke up having to pee in the middle of the night, and tried to feel it - how anyone can relax their stomach muscles when having to go to the bathroom without peeing on their bed is beyond me. LOL. But I think I felt it a few inches above the pubic bone at that time.

Does anyone who has a large, deep pelvis find that they feel it later than most?
I feel like when I'm laying down, it just falls back into my pelvis. My pelvis may resemble that of an ox. BTW.
I have a pretty decent sized pelvis, I also have a very long torso. There's lots of room for everything to go. I can only feel mine in certain positions. I've been stalking this thread, couldn't feel this morning with a full bladder either!
If I'm sitting with my hips forward seems to be the easiest. I feel it about 2 inches above my pubic bone, I'm 14 weeks. I think your pretty close to me in EDD right?

Jessica, wife to Greg since 7/04, mama to the rainbow1284.gif Gman 7/06, 3 brokenheart.gif , rainbow1284.gif Asher 1/11 and a wonderful surprise due in August!

Old 07-26-2010, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Yea I'm pretty large boned, but not all that fluffy just "good breeding stock" with larger hips/pelvis. I think the word my DH uses is "sturdy".
I never feel the uterus early. And I never tend to measure ahead in weeks, although I have big babes and look rather ginormous near the end. Maybe my uterus points to the back? It's annoying me that it's being elusive, since it's all I have right now to "prove" that I'm pregnant to myself since most of my nausau is gone at this point.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica_s View Post
I have a pretty decent sized pelvis, I also have a very long torso. There's lots of room for everything to go. I can only feel mine in certain positions. I've been stalking this thread, couldn't feel this morning with a full bladder either!
If I'm sitting with my hips forward seems to be the easiest. I feel it about 2 inches above my pubic bone, I'm 14 weeks. I think your pretty close to me in EDD right?
My torso is pretty long, I'm due 2/8 so I'm 12 weeks tomorrow.
I went on my stomach and could feel it easier, like it fell forward...?
I'm sure the baby is saying "wth, stop poking me..."

User Tag List