Does high blood pressure before mean it will happen again? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-28-2010, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When I was 36 weeks pregnant with my third, I had high blood pressure and ended up on bedrest for a month.

With my fourth, I had a homebirth and didn't have any blood pressure issues.

Now I'm pregnant with twins and they keep telling me high blood pressure is a common issue with multiple pregnancies. I'm wondering, could I be predisposed to high blood pressure? And if so, is there anything preventative I can do?

FWIW, my blood pressure has been awesome thus far.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#2 of 10 Old 07-28-2010, 11:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had PIH with #1 and not with #2 at all, I had intense swelling for 15 weeks with #1 and barely any with #2. I gained the same amount (alot, oppsie) and #2 was 1.5# heavier and I went to 41 weeks. (I was induced with #1 at about 39.5)

Not sure why my outcome was different, expecially because #2 was born in mid summer and I was hot hot hot.

My midwife told me to drink water, try to keep my feet up, limit refined sugars and starches, limit salt. I didn't really follow it to the T but I hope this pregnancy is like #2 and NOT like #1....

You might be more at risk to have it again then say someone who has never had PIH but it's not a 100% given it will reoccur.

Michelle ~
Mama to ~ Finnegan(10/06) ~ Samuel (7/08) ~ Henry (2/11) ~ He's here! joy.gif Baxter (11/12)

#3 of 10 Old 07-29-2010, 12:47 AM

I had PIH with both of my pregnancies. Mine doesn't show up until later in pregnancy though (38.5) weeks so they just induced when they saw my blood pressure spike. I believe I had the beginnings of pre-eclampsia the second time. My blood pressure has been lower overall this time so I'm hoping that my bp decides to behave itself this time.

Nikki
Mom to my boys A (6), J (4), and my baby girl A (10/25/10)
#4 of 10 Old 07-29-2010, 02:52 AM

I would say no, it's not a guarantee that it will happen again. In my own anecdotal experience, I had borderline BP with my first 3 pregnancies, causing some amount of concern by my care providers (OB with first, MW with 2nd and 3rd) by the end. No bedrest, but testing (OB) or passionflower extract (MW). This time, my BP is LOW. It's really excellent and my only problem is when it dips TOO low. I know that may have to with adrenal fatigue, but overall everything is well and my MW is totally thrilled with my BP.

Things you can do preemptively... Take low-dose aspirin and/or stretch for 15 minutes a day (though this is said to be started at 15-16 weeks, but surely doing so later can't hurt). Both are shown to reduce the recurrence of pre-e. Obviously a healthy diet and moderate exercise (chasing children and doing housework count!) are good for your BP, too. As well, swimming (being chest deep for 20 minutes or more) will lower BP. Magnesium is good for BP and cardiac system in general, and there are other threads with treatments for actual high BP.

Certainly there will be those who are predisposed to BP issues (like those who have chronic BP problems that aren't pg-related), but I think PIH varies a lot in otherwise healthy women.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#5 of 10 Old 07-29-2010, 11:35 AM

Id say having once with a singleton may give you a higher chance with having it with a multiple pregnancy. It is more common to see it in multiple pregnancies regardless. I wouldn't say that it is a for sure thing that you are going to end up with high bp but there is always that chance.

I had gestational hypertension with my 1st pregnancy and ended up with pre-eclampsia and was induced at 39 weeks. I developed gestational hypertension this time around as well at 17 weeks and have been on meds for my bp since 20 weeks.

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).
#6 of 10 Old 07-29-2010, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!

One thing I think I have going for me is that I am so tired carrying these two babies that I rest a lot.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#7 of 10 Old 07-29-2010, 02:44 PM

The Brewer pregnancy diet has been shown to reduce the risk of pre-e and related conditions.

You could find out more specifics by googling it, but it's basically eat healthily, salt your food to taste, and get lots of protein. For a singleton, the recommendation is 75-100 grams of protein a day; for a mom carrying twins they recommend an additional 30 grams a day beyond that. Most women eating a normal US diet get a lot less than this.

This may not mean anything, but I followed this diet when I was pregnant (three pregnancies, all singletons) and never had any bp problems; I didn't even have any swelling or water retention.
#8 of 10 Old 07-29-2010, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

The thing is, with diet, I'm still throwing up and sick all the time. And while I'd like to just suck it up and eat what's optimal for the babies, the truth of the matter is, I'm pretty much just eating whatever sounds like it won't make me throw up, and that's usually not anything very healthy.

#9 of 10 Old 07-29-2010, 02:55 PM

I am so sorry. I meant to say its NOT a for sure thing that you will end up with high BP but there is the possibility. My typing is really not good this morning.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).
#10 of 10 Old 07-29-2010, 10:01 PM
Bia

Here is an article about the blood volume/ high blood pressure link.

http://icpa4kids.org/Wellness-Articl...ancy-diet.html

HTH.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page