Anyone want to play "name that pain"? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 07-29-2010, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I have a weird muscle thing going on, and it really hurts.

It's about 1.5" up and 1.5" to the right of my belly button. When I am completely rested, it doesn't bother me. If I have been working a while, or lifting stuff, it isn't very long until it really, really hurts. It feels like a bad bruise. In fact, I've lifted my shirt more than once to see if there is one there. (There isn't).

Is this something I should be worried about? Any ideas what it is?

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#2 of 17 Old 07-29-2010, 08:46 PM

How long has it been going on?

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#3 of 17 Old 07-29-2010, 09:05 PM

Is it actually inside your belly button? LIke a hernia? umbilical hernias can be pretty painful

Michelle, Mama to ~ F (10/06) ~ S (7/08) ~ H (2/11) ~ B (11/12)
Expecting a surprise (5/15)
#4 of 17 Old 07-29-2010, 09:47 PM

ive been having a similar pain (though lower and to my left) and remember having it last pregnancy. my midwife offered that it could be the baby tugging on his umbilical chord and it turn out (last time) that the chord was around my baby's neck when he was born. im interested to see other responses, though, as i dont know why activity would cause the pain
#5 of 17 Old 07-29-2010, 09:49 PM

Isn't round ligament pain more often on the right side? Could that be it?

Adrienne belly.gif - Loving my DHguitar.gif, our daughter Harper Emaline ROTFLMAO.gif (3/2011), and maybe a baby?? jaw2.gif (5/2013)

#6 of 17 Old 07-29-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia884 View Post
Isn't round ligament pain more often on the right side? Could that be it?
Usually thats quite a bit further to the side than what she is describing... I thought the same at first until i pinpointed where it would be on my own belly.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#7 of 17 Old 07-29-2010, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

It's higher up that RL pain, and no, it's not in my belly button.

I first noticed it the day or two after we moved. My body was worn out. I'd only had 3 or 4 hours of sleep for a couple days in a row, and then drove 10 hours by myself with the three kids. Well, dh was there to help when we stopped, but I was on my own in the car. Anyway, I was trying to put stuff away in the kitchen when I first noticed it. So, a few weeks ago?

Anyway, I got rested up, and it went totally away. Then I guess I overdid it, or something, because it's back. Actually, I noticed it again (and worse) just after I'd moved some boxes and twisted at the waist a bit to put them down. They weren't very heavy (rubbermaid containers full of kid's clothes). Now it's pretty tender, but worse at the end of the day. Right now I'm having a hard time forgetting about it.

The night before last, the baby pushed up on that spot and it hurt pretty bad then, too. When I push down on it, it's sore, and it feels like maybe there's a hole-ish sort of thing there. When I feel on the other side, I'm not sure I can feel the same thing. I just can't tell if I really feel it, or if I feel it because it's sore, ifykwim. Dh said he thinks maybe he can feel a bit of a dip.

I guess I'll call my mw tomorrow...

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#8 of 17 Old 07-29-2010, 10:04 PM

Okay well if it didn't just happen over the past few hours its not what I was afraid of so that's good!

could you have possibly pulled a muscle cleaning?

#9 of 17 Old 07-29-2010, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Maybe?

Yeah...no bleeding, no nothing else. Not an abruption

I really think it's muscular and not uterine. I think.

#10 of 17 Old 07-29-2010, 10:12 PM

The pain you describe sounds like my hernia pain. It's very tender, like a bruise, and really hurts if somebody leans up against it or if baby is rolling under it. It could just be a pulled muscle too from moving.

Mom to DD (3), my little peanut (9/10/09) and our newest addition 9/16/10
#11 of 17 Old 07-30-2010, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

I was afraid of it being a hernia. But, is it a big deal? What do they do about it?

#12 of 17 Old 07-30-2010, 02:58 PM

My midwives said hernias are relatively common in pregnant women and don't usually require surgery. They usually don't bother women when they're no longer pregnant. But research I've done says hernias ALWAYS need surgery. So I'm just going to wait and see what happens and hope for the best. They don't treat hernias during pregnancy.

They also said it will not interfere in labor or be painful. Actually mine has felt a little better as my uterus has grown (which they predicted).

Mom to DD (3), my little peanut (9/10/09) and our newest addition 9/16/10
#13 of 17 Old 07-30-2010, 03:03 PM

gallbladder?
#14 of 17 Old 07-30-2010, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Gallbladder was my thought, too, just based on the area.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#15 of 17 Old 07-30-2010, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

It's a surface pain...and doesn't seem to be bothered by anything I eat and don't eat.

It's much better today.

#16 of 17 Old 08-01-2010, 04:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Glad you're feeling better!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#17 of 17 Old 08-01-2010, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Heather.

And thanks GSM for the info.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page