Lower Back Pain! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-04-2010, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Ugh. I'm 22 weeks and really suffering over here. A few days ago I woke up in pain and it hasn't gone away for more than a little while at a time since. Showering and Tylenol help some but I can't use them all the time. I'd 'like' to see a chiropractor but I can't afford $40 an adjustment, especially if I need them more than twice a month. I can't believe Tricare doesn't cover it!! Ahh, it hurts so bad... any suggestions that might help?!

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2010, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does the chiro have a deal for people who are not covered? It may be worth inquiring about...

My old one was $43 for an adjustment but if you had insurance that did not cover it it was only $15. (No insurance had to pay full price. Didn't quite understand that but whatever...)

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:29 PM

The first adjustment the chiropractor did this pregnancy eliminated the worst of the chronic pain. It came back a little after that, but in a much less severe and non-constant form. (I'm still continuing to see her for more adjustments, but that's mostly because I'm freaked out by how out of alignment my hips seem to be... not pain management.) One visit might be worth it even if you can't afford more. (I know chiros try to sell you on weekly/monthly adjustments for life )

The stretches in Active Birth also seem to eliminate some discomfort (at least for a short period of time) and to help maintain what the chiro accomplished.

daughter #1 10/13/07
daughter #2 10/08/10
Old 08-05-2010, 04:09 PM

I've had chronic low-back pain most of my life. Chiro has always helped, but since I started Pilates a year ago, it is SO much better! There are some prenatal Pilates DVDs out there that might help, but so might general stretching. Do you know the Figure 4 stretch? It is for the periformis specifically, but it really helps my low back. I think because my hips get looser and aren't pulling my SI all out of whack.

This video shows the right way to do the figure 4 stretch seated. You can also do it laying on your back, if you are still comfortable in that position.

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
Old 08-07-2010, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1968 View Post
I've had chronic low-back pain most of my life. Chiro has always helped, but since I started Pilates a year ago, it is SO much better! There are some prenatal Pilates DVDs out there that might help, but so might general stretching.
I second pilates! I had back surgery a few months ago, and the days I do not stretch in the morning I am in so much pain by the end of the night! It really helps me a lot pregnant or not.

Jenn, single, wahm, to Kayla Rayne born 8-18-09 and Gunnar James who was born sleeping @ 39 weeks 1/12/2011
Old 08-07-2010, 02:55 AM - Thread Starter

I figured it out. I had a bladder (and possibly kidney) infection. Took 6 hours at the hospital but they figured it out. Of course crying in pain and puking is how I spent the majority of my day. I never puke! Haven't in years but I guess I'm pretty sick. Even puked an hour after taking my antibiotics. I'm calling in the morning to see if they want to prescribe more if I keep puking them up but hopefully I can just get to sleep and feel decent tomorrow.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:02 AM

I feel for ya! Kidney infections are terrible. I had them really bad after I had my baby last year. They would keep coming back and the pain is just awful. I swear the pain from a kidney infection is worse than labor! Hope you feel better soon

Jenn, single, wahm, to Kayla Rayne born 8-18-09 and Gunnar James who was born sleeping @ 39 weeks 1/12/2011
Old 08-07-2010, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulnerable View Post
I swear the pain from a kidney infection is worse than labor! Hope you feel better soon
Well that's good news. DH is convinced that I'll need an epidural... I'll take one now if someone will offer though. The only sleep I've gotten since yesterday morning is in spurts of 20 minutes when I can get mildly comfortable. I'm really thankful DH bought me a heating pad a few months back or I don't know what I'd do.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:22 PM

As long as you arent induced... the majority of labor doesnt really hurt at all, its transition that is the most painful and that lasts maybe 15 minutes for most women!

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter

Update:

I was in too much pain so I went back in. On a scale of 1-10 I was probably at an 11 most of the time. I had to go back in, even if they'd only give me pain medication. Turns out what they diagnosed as a bladder infection yesterday was an all out kidney infection. They just misdiagnosed last time because I didn't develop a fever like a 'normal' person. I got a shot of antibiotics while I was there (a pretty darn big shot) and I have to go back Monday morning for another then follow up with 14 days of antibiotic pills... and 'possibly' continue more antibiotics for the rest of my pregnancy.... I think I'm going to quit sugar completely if that happens. I've never had a yeast infection and I don't want one!!

Old 08-08-2010, 12:28 PM

I'm sorry you were in so much pain - that sounds awful! Did they talk to you at all about dietary changes while you are healing? I have a friend who has kidney trouble, and she does much better on low- or no-animal protein diet. She is in the process of becoming vegan because of her kidney issues, actually. I was just thinking that such changes (if you currently eat meat/dairy/eggs) might help the healing process.

I hope you are better soon! Oh, and if you DO need to be on antibiotics for a long time, get youself some probiotics. They can help a lot with the yeadtie beasties.

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)

User Tag List