Heart burn? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 08-12-2010, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies,
I am 34 weeks pregnant and I think I have heart burn. I'm am not sure because I've never had it before, not even with my two other pregnancies. It is really annoying, I don't always get it after I eat, but sometimes I do. It takes up to a few hours to bother me. Is there anything I can take that is natural or anything I can do or avoid that will help. It actually seems to get better when I lay down, and stretch out. I have an 18 month old that still needs mama and she crawls on me a lot including my tummy to get hugs and to tell you the truth it is pretty miserable, but the hugs are hard to resist. I spend some time on the floor playing with my two kids, and it makes it worse when I am bent over is when it really bothers me. It makes me not want to eat anything, but then sometimes eating makes it feel better. It this heart burn? What can I do about it? I really don't want to take tums or rolaids if I don't have to. I would rather try something more natural. Thanks for any suggetions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 08-12-2010, 10:55 PM

Try papaya extract. It has been working wonderfully for me and unlike Tums and Rolaids, it does not interfere with your body's ability to absorb iron. I got mine at the health food store in chewable tablet form.

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
#3 of 16 Old 08-13-2010, 03:08 PM

I'm feeling you mama. Last week was worse than this week, and only now because I've discovered the miracle of milk. I've been drowning myself in it.

Milk and dairy products help, and if you aren't already, avoid soda, coffee and chocolate, they make it worse. You may also want to try propping yourself up on pillows while sleeping to keep everything in the right place, don't eat later than two hours before bed and avoid iron supplements before bedtime.

Unfortunately, sometimes no matter what you do it sticks with you- I've heard some women get it from just drinking water! Hopefully it gets better soon- it is pretty miserable

Wife (32) of 8 years to DH (33), Mom to Logan geek.gif (7), and Tristan and Cael, twins.gif the wee ones, born 3/18/11! And OMW a surprise babyf.gif due 2/2013!
#4 of 16 Old 08-13-2010, 03:16 PM

I had awful heartburn with my kids.. wasn't as bad with my first but with my second it was awful If i get it this time I want to try the papya extract caus i have iron issues already and I'm wondering if the tums and Zantac just made it worse???

I was one of thoes that couldn't function I had heartburn so bad. I never get it excpet when I am pregnant

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
#5 of 16 Old 08-13-2010, 04:01 PM

papaya extract made me feel worse...I don't know why. I use zantac.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#6 of 16 Old 08-13-2010, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I like to use calcium magnesium capsules (which I'm out of, I need to pick up more, uggh!) I take 2 a day and then extra if I have trouble with heartburn. I like to up it to 4 a day at 36 weeks (baby is laying down dense bone at that time, so the extra calcium can't hurt!)
#7 of 16 Old 08-13-2010, 05:30 PM

I get really bad HB while pregnant.. i can use more natural stuff for a while, then move to tums, and this pregnancy i had to start taking zantac at about 32 weeks.. my HB comes at the same times every day no matter what i eat or don't eat... when i take the zantac i am starving as soon as it kicks in, if i don't take it i don't even want to eat..

the only thing i've heard that i don't think anyone has mentioned yet is apple cider vinegar ..

- Staci, Mommy to Mollie (3/06), Jamie (5/08), Annie (9/10) and Bently (2/13) chicken3.gif
#8 of 16 Old 08-13-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanette56 View Post
Milk and dairy products help, and if you aren't already, avoid soda, coffee and chocolate, they make it worse. You may also want to try propping yourself up on pillows while sleeping to keep everything in the right place, don't eat later than two hours before bed and avoid iron supplements before bedtime.
Why don't you just say it like it is....all the yummiest foods make heartburn worse. I hate that chocolate gives me heartburn because I eat it so seldomly, and when I do want to indulge I get woozy from the sugar and heartburn from the chocolate. I hate to sound like my 4 year old, but NO FAIR!

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
#9 of 16 Old 08-13-2010, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try to find some Papaya extract (never heard of it) I will also try the extra calcium/mag. I've already got some of that and was suffering from leg cramps anyways and that helped tremendously!!!
#10 of 16 Old 08-13-2010, 09:00 PM

Apple cider vinegar was the only thing that helped me. I mix a few tablespoons into water and sipped it. It helped SO much!
#11 of 16 Old 08-15-2010, 01:53 AM

I have had almost constant heartburn (that feels like acid gurgling right below my throat and often in my throught/mouth) since month four. I was using TUMS but they didn't help at all. My doc said to switch to Pepcid and it actually does help a lot.
Just my experience. Hope you feel better
#12 of 16 Old 08-15-2010, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ugg! I feel for you! Last preganacy was great EXCEPT heart burn and leg cramps! I even had heart burn when I was pushing!!!
chewing a couple of almonds was really the only thing that helped. And I tried never to drink while I ate so that my stomach acids were good and strong...
And I second sleeping while elevated. But if you are bending down then that can be hurting too.
Feel better!

born to be a mom to Lilah Rose at home on 7-18-06 and a cranky wife to Johnny 12-05 ::
Home birth to Eirwen Claire on 1-06-11
#13 of 16 Old 08-15-2010, 08:21 PM

I have papaya extract, and also raw almonds. Delicious AND helpful!
Posted via Mobile Device

Jenny (27) partner to Michael (28) mama to Zoe (8) Selene (4) Garvin (2) and baby Gwendolyn (born 14 Jan 2011)
#14 of 16 Old 08-16-2010, 12:21 PM

I've heard that watermelon helps too!

Island mama to DD (10), DS (5), DS (4) and DD (Aug 31 '10)
#15 of 16 Old 08-16-2010, 12:45 PM

Other than all the food suggestions other people have posted, I've found that posture makes a big difference. I was told that with my last pregnancy & have found it to be true with this one.

Avoid bending over as much as you possibly can - instead, bend at the knees and/or squat. Even just getting up off the couch (which squishes your stomach) or slouching while you sit can be enough to trigger heartburn in some people. Do everything possible to keep your stomach un-squished.
#16 of 16 Old 08-16-2010, 03:35 PM

Mint ice cream. I have no idea why, but this works better than Tums for me.

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light. ~Dylan Thomas

<3 LBM <3 AHM <3

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page