Best fish oil supplement while pregnant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 08-13-2010, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd love some thoughts on this! There are so many to wade through. I'm confused!!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#2 of 25 Old 08-13-2010, 11:10 PM

I have some from GNC that has a lemon flavor, which I can't actually detect, but it prevents fishy burps that are normally caused by fish oil supplements.

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
#3 of 25 Old 08-13-2010, 11:56 PM

I don't know if this is "best" or not, but I"m taking Nordic Naturals Pre-Natal DHA capsules (strawberry flavor - yum!). IIRC, DHA is the most important of the essential oils during pregnancy because it is essential in brain development. However, you can get the same level of DHA in other fish oil supplements.

I prefer these because I can not STAND fish oil - the smell alone nauseates me, so in pregnancy it's a real no go. These don't smell, and I keep them in the freezer and take right before bedtime to minimize the burp factor.

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#4 of 25 Old 08-14-2010, 12:28 AM

I use Carlsson lemon scent, which actually tastes good enough that my 4 and 2 year old will have it too.

How much are each of you taking a day?
#5 of 25 Old 08-14-2010, 09:36 AM

I take one from Trader Joe's. Not sure if it's the 'best', but it's convenient and fairly cheap.

Adrienne belly.gif - Loving my DHguitar.gif, our daughter Harper Emaline ROTFLMAO.gif (3/2011), and maybe a baby?? jaw2.gif (5/2013)

#6 of 25 Old 08-14-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1968 View Post
I don't know if this is "best" or not, but I"m taking Nordic Naturals Pre-Natal DHA capsules (strawberry flavor - yum!).
I take these - no fishy burps, but they did make my stomach upset, so I am waiting until morning sickness fades a bit more to try them again.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#7 of 25 Old 08-14-2010, 12:11 PM

I have some fish oil pills, these: http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Factor.../dp/B000CQQLEQ
I hate HATE seafood and fish, and these do not have any fishy aftertaste at all. I used to take the NOW ones, but I like these better as they flush down more easily... I never had fishy burps, that would gross me out as a passionate fish flavor hater!
#8 of 25 Old 08-14-2010, 02:39 PM

You have to be careful with fish oils...many of them have trace PCBs, lead, mercury, and other chemicals in them. It's not an area of your health you want to cheap out, yk?

I don't have it bookmarked, but a while back someone listed a site that had blind testing of several brands, and it was shocking to see how many common brands (and store brands) were BAD. Why try for the health benefits of fish oil if you're just pumping your body full of pollutants?

Nordic Naturals and Spectrum Naturals have been evaluated by several third party sources for contamination, and they alway pass with flying colors. I use those two brands (Nordic for the kids, usually Spectrum for me).

I get the Spectrum Natural caplets and take them just before bed. Never a fishy burp. I tried taking the oil, and the flavored oil, and it was just gross enough that I lost my motivation to take it daily. The capsules/caplets help with that. No oily feeling in my mouth.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#9 of 25 Old 08-14-2010, 03:26 PM

I use Carlson "Super DHA" and actually take them even when I'm not pregnant.

If anyone's heard Carlson didn't pass that PCB test, please do post that! I've heard great things about them and they're carried in many high end health food stores, so I'm hoping they're safe.
#10 of 25 Old 08-14-2010, 04:40 PM

I take Nordic Naturals "Ultimate Omega", which were recommended by my acupuncturist. No fishy burps! I think they really help my mood too. But they're not cheap - I'd say it's my most expensive supplement by far, especially because I try to take 4000-6000 mg/day.

I've heard good things about Carlsson, New Chapter and Spectrum fish oil too.

Happily muddled mom to baby Kiki, 11/2010

#11 of 25 Old 08-14-2010, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Does anyone know if the New Chapter Wholemega and Wholemega Prenatal are any different? I accidently bought the regular Wholemega and it's has the exact same ingredients as the prenatal. Should I just take those??

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#12 of 25 Old 08-14-2010, 06:19 PM

Trader Joe's capsules are trusted and very affordable (I ship them back to Europe whenever I visit California). Costco brand is also held to be good. Carlson oil from a bottle (lemon flavour) is also good, but now that I am pregnant, I prefer the capsules again.
#13 of 25 Old 08-14-2010, 10:16 PM

Honestly, I wouldn't buy cheap varieties of fish oil at all. Pollutants like PCBs are stored in the fatty tissue of animals, and if a company is charging less for their fish oil, then you have to know they're getting it from a cheaper source. Cheaper sources of fish oil include bigger fish, higher up on the food chain and more contaminated with pollutants. You want high-grade fish oil, made from small fish and tested regularly.

An article about the PCBs in fish oil and the lawsuit that's going on:

http://thestockmasters.com/fish-oil-supplement-03032010

Quote:
Which Fish Oil Supplements Contain PCB? That would be brands Nature Made, Twinlab Norwegian, Solgar, Now Foods and GNC liquid Norwegian.
If these well-known brands have PCBs, I would bet a lot of store brands and generics do as well. Not many brands, other than well-known ones, have been tested. It pays to go with a reputable brand.

Fishoilsafety.com published results of its testing--but there are only 10 brands they tested.

Another article about fish oil safety: Montreal Gazette

From the article:

Quote:
"Consumers who want the health benefits of fish oil shouldn't also have to take the health risks of an extremely toxic man-made chemical. And they don't have to, since preliminary test results show that some fish oil brands have only 1/70th as much PCB contamination in them as others," said Roe.

That's the good news for consumers, he added.

"Some companies do a lot better job than others, and we think this is something people should know."

Quote:
After weighting to determine how toxic some of the contaminants are, the products that ranked the lowest for toxicity were, in order, TwinLab Norwegian Cod Liver Oil, TwinLab Emulsified Norwegian Cod Liver Oil, Solar 100 per cent Pure Norwegian Shark Liver Oil Complex, and Nature Made Odorless Fish Oil.

"Without more testing, we can't know whether this group includes the worst in the market — or the best," the plaintiffs wrote in backgrounder of the 10 brands.
Also, HERE is a long list of other brands that were tested by Environmental Defense Fund, though this was a few years ago.

#14 of 25 Old 08-14-2010, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

So I don't need to buy a prenatal fish oil supplement just a high quality supplement?

#15 of 25 Old 08-14-2010, 11:17 PM

I don't use prenatal-specific anything, really. Not with vitamins, not with fish oil. Instead, I adjust amounts of the vitamins/supplements I take. With fish oil, I'm taking 4 or 5 capsules daily. When I'm not pregnant, I take 3. Same with vitamin D and some others...I just adjust them for pregnancy.

#16 of 25 Old 08-15-2010, 01:48 AM

My BIL who is a doctor researched fish oil when his wife got pregnant recently. He said the best brand is Expectra. It has something to do with how the oil is extracted. My ob/gyn agreed with his research.
#17 of 25 Old 08-15-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOakMomma View Post
Honestly, I wouldn't buy cheap varieties of fish oil at all. Pollutants like PCBs are stored in the fatty tissue of animals, and if a company is charging less for their fish oil, then you have to know they're getting it from a cheaper source. Cheaper sources of fish oil include bigger fish, higher up on the food chain and more contaminated with pollutants. You want high-grade fish oil, made from small fish and tested regularly.
Not necessarily true. Check out this link on safe-to-use products, citing from a Consumer Lab product review: http://forum.lowcarber.org/archive/i.../t-209514.html

Just because designer clothes are so much more expensive than what you can buy at Target, doesn't mean designer firms pay their manufacturing personnel a higher wage. Cost and price of production aren't always causally related.

Trader Joe's fish oil capsules are molecularly distilled, which is one way of clearing the fish oil of PCBs.

Better to be able to afford the cheaper fish oil (declared safe), than not to have them at all or not take enough.
#18 of 25 Old 08-22-2010, 11:13 PM

It's expensive stuff, but I use Green Pasture's high-vitamin cod liver oil. It is recommended by the Weston A. Price Foundation, and they are very picky about purity and the right vitamin blend ratios.

http://www.westonaprice.org/cod-liver-oil.html
#19 of 25 Old 08-23-2010, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snguyen View Post
It's expensive stuff, but I use Green Pasture's high-vitamin cod liver oil. It is recommended by the Weston A. Price Foundation, and they are very picky about purity and the right vitamin blend ratios.

http://www.westonaprice.org/cod-liver-oil.html
But you'd have to be comfortable with the high levels of Vitamin A it contains. I am sympathetic to Price's argument on Vitamin A, even so, I don't want to try it out on my baby (my friend did, however, and I have to admit, she gave birth to a perfect son!).
#20 of 25 Old 08-23-2010, 07:56 AM

Don't know which is best, but I have been using Spring Valley Algal Omega-3 Fish-Free DHA 200 mg tablets. No gluten, no fish, no added preservatives, no artificial colors, no artificial flavors, no lactose. It's just a nice thumb-nail sized gell tab with, in my experience, no taste and no ill effects. In fact, I never got sick or had fowl tasting burps... I do take it every morning with my prenatal (Stewarts) and the one time I did so before eating I got sick.

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bank balance smaller, home happier, clothes dirty, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." ~A.U.
#21 of 25 Old 08-23-2010, 11:49 PM

Since I don't eat much fish, I take fish oil from Nordic Naturals. I also take Green Pasture's fermented cod liver oil, but I don't rely on it as a source of EPA and DHA and wouldn't consider it a substitute for the essential fatty acids you would get from eating fish or taking a regular fish oil supplement.

DD 12/07 DS 9/10

#22 of 25 Old 08-24-2010, 02:30 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My midwives recommend the Expecta version made by the enfamil folks (sigh) because it is not made from fish. They worry about mercury.They don't think things like flax are good enough. They also fans of omega-3 eggs, because the chickens are effecient.
#23 of 25 Old 08-25-2010, 11:22 AM

Krill oil has been found to be our best source of dha. I take that and flax and/or hemp seed oil. Make sure you refrigerate your oils so they don't go rancid. I also try and buy from places that refrigerate their oils, either in a store or ordering online and having it shipped.

radical homemaking/living, homesteading, organic gardening, open minded mama to two amazing little ones 3/2010 and 9/2011 and expecting #3!!!! 5/2013.

#24 of 25 Old 08-25-2010, 12:29 PM

I take fermented CLO for the Vit A&D
NewChapter WholeMega salmon oil for EFA's.

Meghan : Kayla~ 10/19/04 Jack~ 5/27/07
Evelyn~ 10/9/10

#25 of 25 Old 08-25-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiAU View Post
My midwives recommend the Expecta version made by the enfamil folks (sigh) because it is not made from fish. They worry about mercury.They don't think things like flax are good enough. They also fans of omega-3 eggs, because the chickens are effecient.
This was also suggested to me, but seemed rather pricey when I could get the same amount of DHA for less than half the price:
Quote:
Don't know which is best, but I have been using Spring Valley Algal Omega-3 Fish-Free DHA 200 mg tablets. No gluten, no fish, no added preservatives, no artificial colors, no artificial flavors, no lactose. It's just a nice thumb-nail sized gell tab with, in my experience, no taste and no ill effects. In fact, I never got sick or had fowl tasting burps... I do take it every morning with my prenatal (Stewarts) and the one time I did so before eating I got sick.
...which lead me to find the above and take it. I get mine from Walmart and pay 7.50 for 30 geltabs

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bank balance smaller, home happier, clothes dirty, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." ~A.U.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page