Favorite pregnancy books? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 08-15-2010, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's been awhile since I've done this, and with my first baby I didn't really know what kind of parent I was going to be. Last time (5 yrs ago) I read What to Expect, and A Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy. I'd really like some new books to read, hopefully with a slightly more natural bent.

What do you like?

Thanks!

Ali, mama to my amazing Arabella 1/14/06
Newly married to Patrick love.gif Expecting someone new in April!
#2 of 26 Old 08-15-2010, 05:31 PM

Anything by Ina May Gaskin (even my hubbys been reading my copy of Ina Mays guide to childbirth)

And if you want a good one for your partner, someone mentioned The Birth Partner in a thread once and I ended up getting it for my hubby... its REALLY helping him understand a lot about the birth.

Especially because I went through first and highlighted parts that are VERY important to me (like everywhere it says do not ask her questions during a contraction... hes bad about that LOL)

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#3 of 26 Old 08-15-2010, 05:57 PM

I second Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. It's my favorite book on childbirth.

As for books more geared towards parenting...I've got nothing. I always just come to MDC.

Wife to a bearded dude.
Mama to DS [05/21/08] & DD [09/16/10] 43 weeks 1 day!
#4 of 26 Old 08-15-2010, 06:20 PM

My midwife also suggests Pregnancy, Childbirth & the Newborn by Penny Simkin (if I remember correctly she wrote the Birth Partner and I love it! Its informative, realistic, naturally geared and has a lot of funny parts thrown in to keep it light)

She also suggests Having A Baby, Naturally by Peggy O’Mara (whom we should all know that name pretty well from coming to this site, since she is the editor/publisher of Mothering!)

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#5 of 26 Old 08-16-2010, 02:57 AM

All the above recommendations are great! I also highly recommend anything by Dr. Sears.

You specifically said "pregnancy" books but if you also meant "childbirth", get The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth. If you already know that certain interventions/procedures should be avoided but don't exactly know why, then this book is indispensable. I'm a birth doula and already know these things but am definitely more informed after reading it.

I just picked up Grantly Dick-Read's Childbirth Without Fear today and am so excited to dig in.

I haven't read What to Expect but the impression I get from doulas and CBEs is that it's not recommended at all. (ps - Babywise is also on the "do not read" list)

Our Tiger Cub arrived 12/29/10
#6 of 26 Old 08-16-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the janet View Post
I haven't read What to Expect but the impression I get from doulas and CBEs is that it's not recommended at all.
My first two pregnancies my doctor suggested what to expect...

this third one she suggested totally different books. LOL

I hated What to Expect because really? It tells you to expect things you SHOULDN'T expect.

#7 of 26 Old 08-16-2010, 01:44 PM

"Ask a Midwife". That is a good one, lots of pictures, lots of questions answered.
#8 of 26 Old 08-16-2010, 02:38 PM

As far as parenting goes I totally recommend Becoming the Parent You Want to Be and The Science of Parenting. They are both really nice ways to develop an overall parenting philosophy. I also think Alfie Kohn's book is awesome, Unconditional Parenting and any book by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish - my favorite is Liberated Parents Liberated Children although I find them to be very practical and more helpful as your child gets older.

Liora - wife to Pete, IVF miracle DD babygirl.gif (2.11.09) 11 year Infertility survivor! FET miracle TWIN boys babyboy.gifbabyboy.gifborn 2/28 at 32 weeks and growing strong in the NICU.
#9 of 26 Old 08-16-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post
I hated What to Expect because really? It tells you to expect things you SHOULDN'T expect.
Ha, really? Can you give me some examples?

I should read the book, anyway, just so I know firsthand what the problems are...but I already have at least 20 recommended books to get through so that one will have to wait.

#10 of 26 Old 08-16-2010, 05:48 PM

I second (third?) 'Ina May's Guide to Childbirth'. I credit it with leading me to a successful VBAC.

I know a lot of my friends like 'Birthing from Within'. I didn't like it, but I honestly can't remember why.

---Jessica---Livin' my life from A Peace.gif(1/05 ) to Z  jammin.gif(4/08 ).....and z babyf.gif(3/11)

#11 of 26 Old 08-16-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milosmomma View Post
I know a lot of my friends like 'Birthing from Within'. I didn't like it, but I honestly can't remember why.
It's one of those books that doulas and midwives recommend...but I flipped through it and just don't think it's for me. My very superficial understanding of it is that it encourages tapping into creative/artistic outlets for coping with childbirth. It's a little too "new-agey" for my liking...but that's just a personal preference. It does seem to be helpful for a lot of women.

#12 of 26 Old 08-16-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the janet View Post
Ha, really? Can you give me some examples?

I should read the book, anyway, just so I know firsthand what the problems are...but I already have at least 20 recommended books to get through so that one will have to wait.
Read the 1 star reviews on amazon for a ton of examples

As for me personally, that book had me convinced that I was going to lose my son, no questions asked, and possibly die myself, because I had a placental abruption. I had the abruption at 17 weeks and was closely monitored by my doctor but basically was convinced by the book that there was no hope.

There was no mention that if you have had toxo before you can change kitty litter. No mention that theres a test to check for that. Basically just says dont do it... or garden because outside cats poop in your garden. And dont go in hot tubs ever no matter what! (both my doctor and midwife are fine with me being in a hot tub set to below 102) And never even sip alcohol or your child will have FAS.... with no mention that the alcohol you drank before you got the BFP (if your BFP was at 4 weeks pregnancy, not much later) never touched your baby so do NOT be afraid you harmed your child by going out with some friends a week before you knew you were pregnant!

It should be renamed The Alarmists Guide to Pregnancy.

Also, even in my first pregnancy and VERY uneducated in natural childbirth, I found the books insistence on needing pain management in the form of drugs or an epidural very negative... they give little to no natural pain coping techniques

#13 of 26 Old 08-16-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post
It should be renamed The Alarmists Guide to Pregnancy.
YIKES. I see what you mean.

#14 of 26 Old 08-16-2010, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I hated What to Expect but couldn't clearly remember why this far out from reading it. It's really horribly scary, IMO, to a pregnant women. Especially a first time one.

Thanks for the book suggestions! I'm excited to pick some up!

Ali, mama to my amazing Arabella 1/14/06
Newly married to Patrick love.gif Expecting someone new in April!
#15 of 26 Old 08-20-2010, 06:56 PM

I liked Orgasmic Birth too along with some of the other suggestions. It's not solely about an orgasm in birth but does open the mind to many possibilities. Also, it's very holistic, including chapters on physical, mental, emotional, sexual and spiritual health. The well-rounded checklists are great too, simple yet good reminder to keep your pregnancy balanced. The stories at the end are neat too, quite varied and inspirational.
#16 of 26 Old 08-20-2010, 07:32 PM

Yes! Ina May's Guide. I was confident in my ability to birth naturally before I read it, but this book completly changed the way I view my body, in labor or not.

Dr. Sears' Pregnancy Book is like What to Expect but from a more natural perspective. It is a great resource to have on hand for those middle of the night potty trips when you start worrying about every little pang and "what if." I love the Sears Baby Book for the same reason.

Someone gave me What to Expect during my first pregnancy. For shits and giggles I looked up IVs. It basically said you should talk to your Dr about if you really need one, but if the hospital requires it you have NO choice. Still not sure what to do with it.

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#17 of 26 Old 08-20-2010, 07:37 PM

Ina May, Ina May, Ina May- she is the absolute best i think...
Spiritual Midwifery and Guide to Childbirth

i also enjoyed a book called 'From the Hips' - it's a newer, more alternative what to expect

also 'birthing from within' - that is a great mental prep

i have a million books that have been given to me once the babe arrives - The Baby Book by Dr. Sears seems to be the best so far...but i haven't gotten into all of them yet...
#18 of 26 Old 08-21-2010, 12:16 AM

I love Birthing from Within, but skip most things up to about Chapter 21. At about Chapter 21 I think it's great mental prep as someone else said. Also, I just read anything that is positive that will help me get "in the zone". I try to avoid birth stories, articles, etc. that use the words that focus on how much things hurt, etc. It just doesn't do me any good.

Wife to sweet hubby and Mama to ds 11, ds 10, ds 8, ds 7 dd 5, dd 2, and ds 6mo.
#19 of 26 Old 08-21-2010, 09:47 PM

Ina May's guide to childbirth. I heard her speak one year when she came to town, very inspiring woman! I bought both her books on the spot and one is already falling apart. It's been well loved....

Married 16 yrs to DH, DS (3/06) x4 (11/04) (3/08) (3/09) (8/09)
DD born 9/24/2010 :
#20 of 26 Old 08-22-2010, 01:02 AM

I second childbirth pregnancy and the newborn!!! Fantastic balance between natural methods and modern medicine.

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
#21 of 26 Old 08-22-2010, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I had the Sears' The Pregnancy Book and found it very useful for a month-by-month update with what's going on in the body and with the baby. And they put any info about pathologies in the back so most of us who have normal, healthy pregnancies do not have to freak ourselves out reading about that stuff, but it's there if you're curious or need it (I did read the part about water in the hands and feet as I had it!!).
However, they are pretty anti-homebirth and neutral about medical interventions. But there is only one section dealing with birth (I do not recommend their Birth Book for this reason) so I just skipped it.
All the pregnancy info was really good though!

I loved Ina May's book too! I found the pain-relief techniques in Birthing From Within very useful (she recommends practicing with ice held in your hand for a full minute), but I skipped the first half of the book which is all about making birth-art. If you're into making art as therapy then that could be really good for you, though.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#22 of 26 Old 08-28-2010, 11:41 AM

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#23 of 26 Old 08-29-2010, 01:04 AM

Everyone is gonna say Ina, Henci and Penny.. so Ill give you my favorite lesser known books

I loved working through this book last time.. it covers alot of different topics.
The Spirit of Pregnancy

Active Birth

Heart and Hands

Optimal Fetal Positioning

Back Labor No More
#24 of 26 Old 08-30-2010, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaerynPearl;15742391
It should be renamed [I
The Alarmists Guide to Pregnancy[/I].
Someone gave me an older copy of What to Expect when I was pg w/ DS, I believe it was from 1990... they've actually toned it down incredibly (and gotten rid of that horribly paternalistic cover pic ), but, regardless, def on the Do Not Read list.

IMO, not only is it fear inducing, they completely go over the top about common sense... My fav. example? There is a section devoted to how one should not water ski when pregnant. Because you might forcefully get water into your vagina. um.

Another vote for both of Ina May's books and Birthing From Within.

Not necessarily in the how-to-guide books, but I adore reading Peggy Vincent's Baby Catcher while pregnant- helps me get in the right frame of mind and looking forward to birth.

happy reading!

reading.gifdiaper.gif ♥ baby.gif baby.gif ♥
but a lesson must be lived in order to be learned.
and the clarity to see and stop this now
that is what i've earned (a.d.)
#25 of 26 Old 09-01-2010, 12:16 PM

I checked out What to Expect from the library and haaaated it, so I ended up with the Mayo Clinic Guide to Pregnancy. It is neutral on birth centers, midwives, etc. but most of all, it doesn't dumb down explanations and isn't condescending the way WtE seems to me. I also read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth but thought the beginning with all the birth stories could have been edited to be a little shorter- they got repetitive after a while.
#26 of 26 Old 09-01-2010, 11:06 PM

I don't think I saw it yet on anyone's list... I really like "Pushed" by Jennifer Block. I will warn you that it does cover some pretty negative realities of medicalized birth, but I loved the fact that she backed things up with lots of research and it was pretty much laid out without beating around the bush -- but like I said can be a bit 'graphic' and 'scary.' After reading her book, as well as a few others, I feel confident refusing non evidence based interventions without guilt - def empowering.

I also like "The Whole Pregnancy Handbook: An Obstetrician's Guide to Integrating Conventional and Alternative Medicine Before, During, and After Pregnancy" by Joel Evans and "The Natural Pregnancy Book: Herbs, Nutrition, and Other Holistic Choices" by Romm. Both are nice guides to natural remedies and alternative approaches to treating preganncy related issues.

Happy reading!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page