Would you travel 5 hours away, for a weekend, at 36 weeks pregnant? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 08-19-2010, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Considering visiting some friends out of state. Would you travel this far at 36 weeks? I delivered both DD and DS 3 days early...

We have a wedding in NYC about a week before my due date that I am planning on attending, but I feel ok with that as it is only about an hour away.

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
#2 of 19 Old 08-19-2010, 09:49 PM

Im not sure.

I personally would not this pregnancy... but I may be dealing with labor right now and am 36 1/2 weeks (and have had signs of impending labor since 26 weeks)

But last pregnancy I totally would have.

I think it really depends on you and if you and your care provider feel comfortable with it.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#3 of 19 Old 08-19-2010, 10:15 PM

Yes. The chances of labor at that point are so small. BUT...I would take it easy that weekend, and the day or two before.

I'm 37+ weeks and we're going out of town this weekend...I plan on sitting around a lot with a good book while other people do things for me (). If I go into labor, we'll head home (it's a few hours). If I REALLY go into labor, I'll check into the hospital near where we're staying. I figure it's pretty unlikely that either of those things will happen, but it's good to plan I guess.

Have a great weekend!

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#4 of 19 Old 08-19-2010, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We went to the beach for the weekend, I was 38 weeks. It was 3 hours away - no problem!! So yes, I would.

I'm going to a pro football game on Saturday when I will be 4 days before my due date too
#5 of 19 Old 08-19-2010, 10:23 PM

I wouldn't, but I had my first at 37w, 1d despite my doctor convincing me I would go to 41 b/c I was a first time mom. This time I'm not traveling after 35 weeks just in case. Car rides during labor are hell.

obstruct livery vehicles

#6 of 19 Old 08-20-2010, 08:18 AM

Sure. I did it last time. It was exactly 5 hours away and for a along weekend. I had a baby shower at my dh's grandparents house, that night dh went to a concert with his dad, brother, and some uncles, and i just layed low at his aunt's house. My ds wasn't born until 2 days after his due date, so there was no concern, i had no early labor predicted, etc.

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#7 of 19 Old 08-20-2010, 09:09 AM

Yep! Wouldn't even give it a second thought.
#8 of 19 Old 08-20-2010, 09:38 AM

I traveled 12 hours away by train at 36 weeks. But I was going to a midwifery conference, so I figured I would be in good hands should I suddenly go into labor.

If the pregnancy is going well and you have no health concerns then I say go for it!
#9 of 19 Old 08-20-2010, 09:41 AM

I think you have to absolutely certain of your plans if something does happen that weekend. Would you drive back home? Have the baby there? I personally could not endure 5 hour in the car at that point and think that would be my deciding point and not the fact that I might go into labor.
#10 of 19 Old 08-20-2010, 11:28 AM

I traveled 8 hours away during my 35th week of pregnancy... last week! Yup, I would do it, just remember to drink LOTS of fluid. On my journey there was significant altitude change and my feet swelled up for the first and only time during this pregnancy (as soon as I got home they went back to normal.)

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bank balance smaller, home happier, clothes dirty, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." ~A.U.
#11 of 19 Old 08-20-2010, 11:35 AM

Currently 37w2d and I would say no. My concerns would have nothing to do with possible labor though. The very last thing I want to do is spend time sitting in a car. I am experiencing some awful swelling in my feet and am trying to spend as much time with my feet up as possible. I even missed a family wedding last weekend because I didn't want the 8hr car ride.

However, if you are feeling great and up for that long in a car - do it. But perhaps if planning now, leave a backout option in case you don't feel up to it when the time comes.

Good Luck!

SAHM to one precious 2 year old and wife to my loving DH. And here we go again!
****5****10****15****20****25**joy.gif*30****35****40
#12 of 19 Old 08-20-2010, 09:29 PM

I definitely wouldn't. I'm 36 weeks right now and soooo uncomfortable. Riding in the car really makes me sore and aggravates my hips. I rode 2 1/2 hours 2 months ago and even that was too much time in the car for me. I was sore for days. But if you're lucky and are having a comfortable pregnancy, go for it.

Mom to DD (3), my little peanut (9/10/09) and our newest addition 9/16/10
#13 of 19 Old 08-20-2010, 11:50 PM

There is no way I could sit in the car for that long, especially there and back.

I'd be nervous leaving home that close to my due date (even if it is four weeks away). Is there any way you could convince your friends to come visit you instead?
#14 of 19 Old 08-21-2010, 10:06 AM

We just went to the beach for a few days and I'm 35 weeks. The trip took 4 hrs. We made frequent stops for me to pee since I was drinking so much water(to help with swelling). All in all it wasn't too bad, but I couldn't stand to be out in the heat around midday.

I should mention though, both my other kids were born at 42+ weeks, so that probably factors into my comfort level with traveling at this gestation.

Meghan : Kayla~ 10/19/04 Jack~ 5/27/07
Evelyn~ 10/9/10

#15 of 19 Old 08-21-2010, 10:37 AM

I probably would. I am saying that though b/c I"ll be more than 37 weeks IF we were to travel 7 1/2 hrs away to spend it w/ family for Christmas. So a week earlier or a couple hrs shorter and I would try to talk hubby into us driving to NC. But not happening for us. Agree w/ PP on being uncomfortable in car. i got like that at the end of my last trip and that was at 16 weeks for a 7 1/2 hr trip. And my first child was born 41 weeks 1 day Good luck.

Monica-28, DH, Andrew-29 DS-almost 3, DD born 1/13/2011.
SAHM. BF
#16 of 19 Old 08-21-2010, 12:04 PM

No. No. No.

And this coming from a woman whose kids were all 41 weekers.

You don't want to end up delivering in a place that you don't know and they don't know you. It freaks them out and they label you as not having prenatal care which means you are high risk. High risk means they are more likely to intervene.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#17 of 19 Old 08-21-2010, 12:47 PM

I would and did. The risk of labor is small, and if you're worried about it, take a copy of your records with you, and find a provider you like in the area you are traveling to "just in case." Despite the discomfort of long travel at 36 weeks, my trip was well worth it; I hope yours will be too!
#18 of 19 Old 08-22-2010, 09:07 AM

I travelled 8 hours by car to another province for a week last week (36 weeks pregnant). It went fine, but it wasn't fun lol.

Mama to Luka - 22 February 2005, Tiisetso - 18 September 2010 & 3 angel bubbles
#19 of 19 Old 08-22-2010, 10:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by louis View Post
Currently 37w2d and I would say no. My concerns would have nothing to do with possible labor though. The very last thing I want to do is spend time sitting in a car. I am experiencing some awful swelling in my feet and am trying to spend as much time with my feet up as possible. I even missed a family wedding last weekend because I didn't want the 8hr car ride.

However, if you are feeling great and up for that long in a car - do it. But perhaps if planning now, leave a backout option in case you don't feel up to it when the time comes.

Good Luck!
Totally! Last pregnancy, I think I was maybe 32-34 wks pregnant, I forget, when we went to Santa Barbara, and the car ride was so hard, no swelling but uncomfy and I was soooo stiff afterwards. Bad hip pain made it hard to get in/out of bed... it was a lovely last trip but now I'd rather just take it really easy on myself. But it depends for each woman.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page