Hypothyroid? Maybe. Help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-21-2010, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
before you read this, please note: I *did* read the whole "hypothyroid in pregnancy" thread!

Hello Womyn
I am very nervous that I have developed some kind of hypothyroid problem. I am currently 34 weeks. As far as I can tell, I haven't been getting quite enough iodine in my diet combined with the prenatals I'm taking, so that really sucks.
The thing is, I am gaining weight like nobody's business, even though I am following a fairly strict diet. I have got swollen feet and hands, I am depressed and constipated, and I get chilly easily.
My midwives are such slackers, when I gained ten pounds in two weeks I nearly had to beg for a urine test for pre-e (test negative). Then they told me to lay off the muffins (duh). I finally figured out today that something might be up with my thyroid, for some reason a light went off in my brain when I saw my non-iodized sea salt. I have gained about eight more pounds since Aug. 6. I'm really not looking forward to Monday morning when I am going to beg them for a thyroid function test.
I am really worried I have already harmed my baby's brain irreparably, it has been about three weeks since I noticed this weight thing going on. Everybody always says "listen to your body", and that's what I'm trying to do here. These damn midwives never suggest anything when I say that I think something's wrong, I have to figure it all out on my own. If I am really hypothyroid I am going to lose my mind with rage that they couldn't have figured that out from the symptoms, and now my baby might be permanently affected as far as I can learn by reading.
Ok that's it I would just love some support and encouragement from somebody, especially somebody who has had a thyroid problem.
bye
TW
#2 of 3 Old 08-22-2010, 02:45 PM

I was diasnosed hypothyroid about a year ago, and I am now 7 wks pg with my 4th. I would call your mws right away and ask them to order a blood test, you could have an answer really soon.

I wasn't hypo in any of my other pgs, so I can't give you too much direction, but if you are really worreid about it, get it checked out.

Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April
#3 of 3 Old 08-22-2010, 03:23 PM

First of all, try to relax. It's hard to read stuff on the internet when you're pregnant. Everything freaks us out, doesn't it?

Secondly, INSIST on a thyriod panel with free t3 and t4 tested as well. If the midwives won't do it find a GP and get them to do the bloodwork.

There are many thyroid medicines that are safe to take while pregnant if that is the case. I took armour thyroid with my last pregnancy and I'm on a compounded version of armour this time. Take care, relax and get that blood work done!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page