Alternative protocol for those with group B strep? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 08-23-2010, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was positive for group b strep with ds and really did not like the continous iv during my labor. What are my options with this? I have read that is possible to take oral pills prior to delivery, but are there any alternatives to surpress it during pregnancy using herbs? TIA

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 08-23-2010, 11:52 AM

I had it with both of my kids, and this time I'm going to try really hard to keep it away with probiotics and by making sure my body seems to stay in balance. My midwife, each pregnancy, about this time (early second tri) has reminded me to start supplementing probiotics *before* my body falls behind, and each time I wait until I start getting bacteria or yeasty...I wonder if I took her advice, and maybe supplemented a little extra zinc and vit.C once or twice a week, if I couldn't avoid all three of those things.

Mommy to ds (4.5), dd(3) and growing a little Valentine's Day babe!
#3 of 18 Old 08-23-2010, 01:12 PM

If I am GBS positive, we will be doing a hibiclens wash during labor, no IV, no pills.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#4 of 18 Old 08-23-2010, 01:27 PM

There's actually a good bit of research on hibiclens wash proving it's effective without the insane side-effects of the IV ABTs.

My HB MW has a protocol that involves eating lots of fermented foods & probiotics - things such as kefir. She said she's been very successful in having most mamas test negative.

Also, the IV shouldn't have been continuous! With DS, my MWs told me the first bag takes longest, but after that, I think they said 15 min every 4 hours & then I'd be unhooked again from the IV line & have a 'hep lock" in place to keep the IV line open. (Labor went so fast I didn't end up getting any at all.)
#5 of 18 Old 08-23-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegBoz View Post
Also, the IV shouldn't have been continuous!
That partially depends on hospital protocol.

I was on a continuous IV drip when in labor with my son. (was not for abx, just a hydration IV... its their policy to do) After that, I had it placed on the front of my chart to avoid IV unless I am unconscious (had some serious problems with it with my son that made me afraid of them)

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#6 of 18 Old 08-23-2010, 01:38 PM

definitely ask about the hibiclens, I have heard good things about it on this forum.

Crunchy Christian Wife and Mommy to awesome DH and DD1 (4/25/07) and DD2 (8/13/10)
#7 of 18 Old 08-23-2010, 01:42 PM

I have unfortunately tested positive for GBS this pregnancy and my MW has me taking a regime of bee pollen, echinacea, vit. c, garlic, and probiotics to work on reducing my colonization before baby arrives. We will do hibiclens washes in labor as well.

SAHM to one precious 2 year old and wife to my loving DH. And here we go again!
****5****10****15****20****25**joy.gif*30****35****40
#8 of 18 Old 08-23-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post
That partially depends on hospital protocol.

I was on a continuous IV drip when in labor with my son. (was not for abx, just a hydration IV... its their policy to do)
Ah, true.
but I still say "IV (for antibiotics) should not be continuous." Prophylactic IV fluid infusion is so totally anti-evidence based! Sure, sometimes due to excessive vomiting, a mama may become dehydrated & it may be necessary, but prophylactic IV fluids are, well, insane. After reading the chapter on that & the "nothing by mouth" rule in the book "Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth" I am still appalled that it's standard protocol at so many hospitals - including the world-renowned Johns Hopkins here in Baltimore. (Great place if you're dreadfully sick, BAD place for a healthy woman to birth. I switched out.)
#9 of 18 Old 08-24-2010, 12:46 AM

The ACOG has an alternative where women are treated with antibiotics only if they go into premature labor, have a fever during labor, prolonged rupture of membranes...you can google it. You could discuss that option with your health care provider possibly.
#10 of 18 Old 09-01-2010, 11:38 PM

http://navelgazingmidwife.squarespac...gbs-women.html

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#11 of 18 Old 09-01-2010, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegBoz View Post
There's actually a good bit of research on hibiclens wash proving it's effective without the insane side-effects of the IV ABTs.

My HB MW has a protocol that involves eating lots of fermented foods & probiotics - things such as kefir. She said she's been very successful in having most mamas test negative.

Also, the IV shouldn't have been continuous! With DS, my MWs told me the first bag takes longest, but after that, I think they said 15 min every 4 hours & then I'd be unhooked again from the IV line & have a 'hep lock" in place to keep the IV line open. (Labor went so fast I didn't end up getting any at all.)
I tested positive with the last ds and I hate needles... My mw assured me that I'd hardly feel it and it wouldn't be a bother... I fixated on that damn thin my entire labor... Sigh

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#12 of 18 Old 09-02-2010, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackenzie View Post
I tested positive with the last ds and I hate needles... My mw assured me that I'd hardly feel it and it wouldn't be a bother... I fixated on that damn thin my entire labor... Sigh
I also found the hep lock irritating and distracting and I don't really have an issue with needles. They actually never even ended up using it; I had my first dose with a regular IV and then an hour later or so they put in the hep lock. Then I had DD two hours after that so there wasn't time for another dose.

DD 12/07 DS 9/10

#13 of 18 Old 09-02-2010, 02:05 PM

i'm intersted in the alternatives... i was tested 3 times with my first two postive and one negative. and negative with my second.. who know with this one

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
#14 of 18 Old 09-02-2010, 04:12 PM

I'm not testing at all. I'll consider antibiotics if there is a risk for GBS infection like fever, water broken for over 18 hours or preterm labor.

caffix.gif

#15 of 18 Old 09-02-2010, 05:45 PM

I am taking probiotics and doing tea tree oil suppositories, hoping for a negative test. My last was positive and both baby and I got thrush/yeast issues for months from the antibiotics, so I am really hoping to avoid abx.
#16 of 18 Old 09-02-2010, 07:33 PM

I didn't even test this time... It changes all the time so you may be negative at the test (36ish weeks) and then have colonization at birth. I'm doing a hibiclense wash and am only planning to consider antibiotics if we have a reason to believe we need it, like prolonged ROM.

of course, I'm having a HB and in a hospital you CAN refuse atbx but they will keep your baby an additional 24 hours for monitoring.

~ Fe ~
Mama to C (3-25-06) and A (1-17-09) and Jameson Grant (9-25-10) my HBA2C baby!
#17 of 18 Old 09-02-2010, 08:20 PM

My doula suggested Vitamin C (2000 units/day) and probiotics for at least two weeks before testing, which I did, and I'm now waiting for the results (tested Wednesday.) My birth center does allow you to decline the hep lock, if you insist. And it's not constant, it's every 4 hours. Although group B strep is definitely serious for babies who are exposed, the rate of developing problems seems pretty low.
#18 of 18 Old 09-03-2010, 06:30 PM

I just found out today that I tested + with the urine culture they took at my first appt. I was surprised that they tested me so early (I am only 10 wks, tested at 8.5 wks) since I knew things could change throughout the pg. I will read more about the hibiclens and probiotics and ask about them at my next appt.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page