After membrane sweep on Monday, possible HB!! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 66 Old 08-27-2010, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby~Braatens~Mama View Post
I also found information that showed that some HCP feel that routine membraned sweeping during the weekly VE will help prevent a woman from going post-term, which is still what I feel my practitioner was expecting... not that I am happy with the way things proceeded. I will find out for sure on Monday when I talk to him, but at least for now I can feel a little more at peace, knowing that he did not necessarily place my child in danger.
I think it's really big of you to investigate what might have been going on from his point of view and to have faith that he was behaving in a well-intentioned way. I hope your conversation with him goes well.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 66 Old 08-28-2010, 03:45 AM - Thread Starter

...or at least he is supportive of the decision to switch, but is unsure of the process really. There is only one midwife who travels in our area, and she will be coming to our town sometime this week. I have her number, and we will be calling to set up a meeting and to see if she will take us. Here's hoping I am not too late to switch!

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bank balance smaller, home happier, clothes dirty, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." ~A.U.
#63 of 66 Old 08-28-2010, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegBoz View Post
Wrong.
The one & only time it's legal for a medical procedure to be performed on you without your express consent is if you're unconscious - and therefore it's totally impossible for you to give consent. In such a case, it's assumed you'll consent to treatment to save your life. Now, it is absolutely totally NOT legal for them to act without consent "if baby's health is at stake."
I understand what you're saying...but I suppose I wasn't clear enough? I meant this would be the case in an emergency, where there wouldn't be time to discuss options and it was a life or death situation. I assume that if they made a unilateral decision in the event that this happened and there was a bad outcome, there would be little legal recourse since an attempt to save a life was made. But maybe not. I'm not an expert in medical malpractice lawsuits...all I know is they have seriously adverse effects on how hospitals are run and the kind of maternal care women receive.

I just don't understand the need for unnecessary interventions when there's no medical indication (unless there was one...did I miss a detail?). Weekly vaginal exams? "Assisting" labor when it probably won't even start for 4 weeks? No warning of any potential risks to certain procedures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegBoz View Post
Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying that makes it right or excuses his behavior - because it does not!
And this is why women need to start speaking up about how unacceptable non-consentual procedures are, in their best interest or not. It's your body. You should be part of the decision-making process.

Our Tiger Cub arrived 12/29/10
#64 of 66 Old 08-28-2010, 04:57 AM

Ohhh...I originally wrote "if your or the baby's health is at stake" when I meant "if your or the baby's life is at stake".

I don't condone interventions based on what "could" happen.

#65 of 66 Old 08-28-2010, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby~Braatens~Mama View Post
...or at least he is supportive of the decision to switch, but is unsure of the process really. There is only one midwife who travels in our area, and she will be coming to our town sometime this week. I have her number, and we will be calling to set up a meeting and to see if she will take us. Here's hoping I am not too late to switch!
Good luck!!!

#66 of 66 Old 08-30-2010, 01:27 PM

Good luck BBM! I hope the MW is awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the janet View Post
I understand what you're saying...but I suppose I wasn't clear enough? I meant this would be the case in an emergency, where there wouldn't be time to discuss options and it was a life or death situation. I assume that if they made a unilateral decision in the event that this happened and there was a bad outcome, there would be little legal recourse since an attempt to save a life was made. But maybe not. I'm not an expert in medical malpractice lawsuits...all I know is they have seriously adverse effects on how hospitals are run and the kind of maternal care women receive.
I understand what you are saying. & honestly I'm not sure myself of the law in this case. Let's say cord-prolapse - that's an actual, serious, legit "CUT NOW OR BABY DIES" emergency. But I still don't know if legally the doc can wheel a mama off & cut without her permission. I'm actually not sure what the law says in such a case.

I just remember learning in my first aid classes that the only time medical procedures can be performed without permission is if the patient is unconscious. So I don't know if "baby will die if we don't do this now" is also another legitimate reason.

But I'm inclined to doubt it - because, as I said, then it's a seriously fine line from there to saying, "Well, baby's HEALTH is at stake if we don't (induce, do routine ERCS, etc.)" AND - the law thus far has been supportive of a woman's right to bodily integrity & autonomy. i.e. medical procedures can't be forced upon her for the good of the baby. So, that makes me think that legally, even if baby's life is at stake, mama still has to grant permission.

But I do know that docs so often say it's "life or death for baby" even when we all know darn-right-well it is absolutely not! (As in the examples I posted.)

But honestly, the discussion is really irrelevant anyway. Sadly, even though the law is absolutely crystal clear on many cases of "medical battery," no lawyers will take the case. They just can't be won, even though the law is clear. One example is episiotomy without consent. The only case where epis is warranted at all is shoulder dystocia - but we all know they're done in other cases without mama's permission or even without warning her. Clearly, that's illegal. CLEARLY!

But for one thing, we have to sign a "blanket consent form" which gives the hospital some leeway, since we're "giving permission," in a way, in advance, to procedures which may just be a part of the birth process.

Well, some mama's recommend modifying the blanket consent form. But still, lawyers won't take the case. I remember reading in the book, "Pushed" by Jennifer Block" that there was a group that actually provided legal help to women - I think pro bono & handled cases, maybe, like VBAC bans. One thing I do remember specifically is that the woman said she got lots of calls for episiotomy-without notice let alone consent & she just couldn't take the cases. They weren't winnable. Really sad, really messed up.

OK, sorry for the thread hi-jack!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page