Quick name question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-27-2010, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have two daughters, and both of their names start with the same letter.

Should baby name three have the same first letter or should I pick any name?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2010, 12:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's just up to what you like. I am one of 4 children that have names starting with "S". It was a little annoying when I was younger but nothing major. We chose not to do that with our kids but have two that start with one letter and one that starts with another. We're thinking about naming the fourth with the same letter as the one kiddo in our clan to even things out but we're not sure yet!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
Old 08-27-2010, 01:02 AM

Out of the 4 oldest kids in my fam, 3 of us have the same initials! Well, mine are different now that I'm married, but really it wasn't a big deal.

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
Old 08-27-2010, 01:06 AM

Pick any name. I have a few friends that have done naming trends, and it always seems by baby three they're less enthused about the name and/or the trend...no fun to pick a name you don't truly love just because of a sibling "trend," yk? How much would it suck to GET that name, too? "Well, honey, we weren't really crazy about your name, but it started with an M and it's the best we could think of...." Nah.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
Old 08-27-2010, 01:08 AM

Well, that's how the Duggar family and their 19 kids started out... First two had the same letter (J) and they thought the 3rd would feel left out so they named the 3rd, 4th, 5th and then they were stuck with names they probably didn't love,,,,

name them what you love
Old 08-27-2010, 01:40 AM

I immediately thought of the Duggars when I read the OP.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

Old 08-27-2010, 01:51 AM

Yes. I dd that with my first two and will follow the pattern with further kids.

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
Old 08-27-2010, 01:57 AM
myk

do what your heart tells you it's cool if you have 3 with the same letter.. but it starts getting less cool when there's more than a dozen a la dugger family

January 2011
Old 08-27-2010, 02:00 AM

assuming this one is a girl... the girls will both have K names and Eli will have an E name

Melanie, SAHM to Kyley Grace (5)  Elijah Franklin (2) and Asher John (March 17th)
Old 08-27-2010, 09:28 AM

I have three M names once little Mae is born...

However, it was not on purpose. Each child had an M name and a non-M name but ended up the gender off the M name. (If Mae were a boy she would have been Alexander!)

So I have no problem with, if/when we have a fourth, the possibility of that child not having an M name.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:59 AM

I agree with the other posters saying to go with a name you love, regardless of letter.

I think the more children you have with the same letter, the more obligated you'll feel to have future children share that letter as well. (does that make sense?) In my opinion, having 2 children that start with "M" (for example) and a third that starts with a different letter, is not odd at all. However, having 5 children that all start with "M", and a 6th that is different seems a little more singled out, to me.

I think it really depends on the shared letter too. Whereas having a "Quinn, Quentin, Quincy, and Ava" might be a little obvious that the 4th is different...I dont think having a "Sophie, Scott, Spencer, and Lucy" is quite as much of a blaring difference since "S" is such a popular name letter.

Fiona Rose  stillheart.gif12.25.10stillheart.gif

Old 08-27-2010, 03:25 PM

I'd go with a name you like regardless of letter. My sister and I have names that start with the same letter and my brother has a different letter and he could care less. He never felt left out. It definately not an issue where you need to have all your kids with the same letter because two kids do.

Dianna environmentally educated tree hugging mom of dd 9/06 and ds 10/08 newbie dd 9/10
Old 08-27-2010, 04:51 PM

My first two start with the same letter, and my third is different. It wasn't intentional...those were just the names we liked. This baby will have a different letter from all of them.

No big deal.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

Old 08-27-2010, 08:36 PM

I think that naming the same letters is fine, as long as it is a name you love. Don't do it unless you LOVE the name as much as you love the first 2.. if not, there is no rule that says if you start with the first 2, that you have to continue with the others.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

Old 08-29-2010, 03:42 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I honestly know a kid that was upset that he didn't get the "family letter" name like his sibs. He went around telling everyone that his parents got lazy naming him and here's what his name should have been.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:49 PM

If you are only going to have 3, then I would use the same initial. If you think you might have more, then you wouldn't have to.

I just think it will make the 3rd wonder why they were different.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
Old 08-29-2010, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We kind of did something similar on accident, dd1 we named Bailey and dd2 we named Riley. We didn't really think about the names ending with the same sound until we had dd3. Then it seemed like we should keep the same "them" so we named her Rory. We're having a boy this time and naming him Finnegan, so I guess if we have more we'll keep with the "ee" ending for girls and "n" for boys. But I don't think you *have* to, and I would go with a name I loved over one that followed the "theme."
Old 08-29-2010, 11:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm not fond of themes for names. And maybe I'm completely wrong about this, but I tend to imagine most people feel the same way and would look down on me a bit for being silly enough to name my kids based on a theme. So I would make sure to choose a different letter for the third.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil View Post
I'm not fond of themes for names. And maybe I'm completely wrong about this, but I tend to imagine most people feel the same way and would look down on me a bit for being silly enough to name my kids based on a theme. So I would make sure to choose a different letter for the third.
Ive never seen anyone look down on ANYONE for that reason and would make the person doing such judging look pretty silly in my eyes. (This comes from being raised as the M in a family of Ks... and now having accidentally started my own family of Ms)

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.

User Tag List