pregnant and over 35 tribe - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#181 of 323 Old 03-21-2011, 02:30 PM
 
txtarheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Central NC
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all!  I'd love to be here even though I still sometime have a hard time believing I'm even 30!

 

I'm Katherine and I'll be 37 when this one is born.  It's our second surprise!  We had a surprise last month, and a very early miscarriage followed by a "how the heck did that happen?" surprise again!  This one will be #3 and I'm pretty sure our last (even though I said that last time).  DH will be 43 when babe comes along.

 

So I sometime feel weird on MDC, I'm a T1 diabetic, have had 2 c/s (unless a miracle occurs this one will be too), have had two LGA babes (#2 was 10.5 lbs) and now we can add AMA to the pot... 

txtarheel is offline  
#182 of 323 Old 03-30-2011, 06:32 AM
 
Snugglebugmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You sound like a great addition to our tribe, Katherine! orngbiggrin.gif Welcome, and congratulations!

I had my first actual prenatal yesterday, at 13w3d, and I got to hear the heartbeat!! Strong, regular, and 152 beats per minute. What an awesome sound! Everything else was great too, blood pressure as low as ever, urine free of protein and glucose, no weight gain yet but no loss either, yay, and my nausea seems to finally be dissipating a bit. For on a old chick I am not doing too badly. orngtongue.gif

I hope everyone else is doing well too! Check in if you have time, I'd love to hear some updates!


~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif
 

Snugglebugmom is offline  
#183 of 323 Old 03-30-2011, 12:27 PM
 
roslyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I can't believe I'm in the home stretch. I'm 46 years old and I'm scheduled to have a c-section on the April 8th. I'm very excited and can't wait to see my little guy's face. I'm also terrified that everyone who comes to visit will think I'm a slob because I've been on bedrest since December and the house is a wreck. I've managed to keep the bathrooms and kitchen decent, the rest of the house, not so much. My perinatologist was telling me on Monday that she can't believe this pregnancy flew by so easily. I was like, "easy for YOU to say." Everyone says that it seems to have gone quickly. I don't think so. I feel like I've been pregnant forever. 


Roslyn (46) Whitney (45) Luke (5/04) (boy due 5/11) 
roslyn is offline  
#184 of 323 Old 03-31-2011, 06:56 AM
 
Snugglebugmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Roslyn, you've been on my mind, I'm glad to see you post! I doubt anyone will care what your house looks like, as long as you and baby are doing well! Taking care of yourself is way more important than keeping the floors crumb-free at the moment. Glad the end is in sight for you, only 8 more days! You must be getting excited to meet the little womb tenant! 


~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif
 

Snugglebugmom is offline  
#185 of 323 Old 03-31-2011, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
 
samstress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: so-cal
Posts: 2,240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

welcome katherine (and congrats).  when are you due?

 

glad to see you post also roslyn.  april 8th, huh?  how wonderful (that just happens to be my dd's birthday).

 

i've got a little over four weeks to go (but i keep thinking i'll be early).  feeling nervous and anxious.  feel like i've got tons to do still, but also quite eager to meet this little boy or girl.

 

would love to hear how everyone's doing.


mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

samstress is offline  
#186 of 323 Old 03-31-2011, 02:32 PM
 
saoirse2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,292
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

10 wks 2days...

 

felt pretty good today -cleaned bathroom, swept floors and stairs, dishes, laundry...and did not have to lay down once....

almost like I am not even pg


mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

saoirse2007 is offline  
#187 of 323 Old 03-31-2011, 04:29 PM
 
HawaiianBlesing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Sierras
Posts: 686
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

23 weeks today and still going strong.  Working full time..getting a little tired between 3-4 every day but nothing too terrible.  Weight gain seems to be right on track.  Next appt 4/5.


Joined the swim center so I can get a little more exercise.  I have to admit that this has been my biggest downfall.  Not exercising greensad.gif

 

Still trying to figure out a name.  DH has nicknamed him Awesome which I think is cute because he really wasn't into a nickname at all.  "We'll call it baby until we know what it is then we will call him/her by their name"  DH is really excited to become a dad.

 

I get a little anxious every once in a while.  Went through a string of really awful early death stories (unintentional...all 3 of them didn't know I was pregnant).  It made me really anxious for about a week.  I believe in a higher power and have to trust and believe in His plan for me and our family. 

 

We still do not have our kitchen re-model done which it totally stressing me out. It's been going since June.  Our cabinet maker is totally hanging us up. Everything we own is in our two spare rooms...one of which will be the baby's.  It needs to be painted, have hard wood laid down and decorated.  Tick tock the clock is ticking.  It's really out of my control so I try not to worry about it too much.


How is everyone else?


Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

HawaiianBlesing is offline  
#188 of 323 Old 04-02-2011, 05:33 PM
 
MrsHin2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there,

So I clearly did not keep up with this thread. Sadly, I'm not due in June anymore, but my info can be edited to read 'due with #2 mid-Nov/11'. Glad to have a new date to replace the old one with smile.gif I have lots of reading to catch up on!

Karen

Karen (39), DH (40), DS (7/7/07), with three m/c (11/05, 10/09, 11/10), BFP for mid-November -- keeping fingers crossed!!
MrsHin2002 is offline  
#189 of 323 Old 04-02-2011, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
 
samstress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: so-cal
Posts: 2,240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

so sorry about your loss karen, but thrilled to be able to move you just a wee bit down the list. 

 

welcome back!


mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

samstress is offline  
#190 of 323 Old 04-05-2011, 08:13 AM
 
mia's mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Central New York
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Can I join?? I'll be 37 at delivery, DH age 34. I'm due July 24th, 2011


 
Tracy, mama to Mia Elizabethhearts.gif10~4~06 and Baby Ava Elise baby.gif 8~6~11

mia's mama is offline  
#191 of 323 Old 04-05-2011, 08:24 AM
 
sagewinna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: CA
Posts: 2,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am 42, 43 when I'm due. DH is 44. EDD is 12/5/11.

 

Our last one ended in November in a miscarriage, actually I am still listed here are being due in June. I am cautiously optimistic this time around and trying not to read anything about risks at this age. lol


DS: 18 DD: 15 DD: 8  angel1.gif 11/10  angel1.gif 4/11
  adoptionheart-1.gifDD: 3  angel1.gif 8/11

sagewinna is offline  
#192 of 323 Old 04-05-2011, 09:01 AM
 
momtomany's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi!  My name is Michelle.  I am due April 8th (this Friday) which also happens to be my birthday.  I will be 41.  My husband just turned 43 at the end of March.  We have 8 children ranging in age from 18 months to 20 y/o.  Four of my seven pregnancies went to 42 weeks, resulting in an induction.  I am trying everything possible to avoid that this time :)  Our twins were induce at 38 weeks d/t reduced fluid level.

 

 

 

 

 

momtomany is offline  
#193 of 323 Old 04-06-2011, 12:58 PM
 
matyja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all you mamas!  I've been posting on some of the other boards since the beginning of this pregnancy and thought I'd like to join this group!  I'm about 24+ weeks and things are going fine.  This will be baby #5 (pregnancy #6) and due end of July.  I'll be 42 when this little lovebug arrives.  DH will be (I think?) 49 in the fall.  So we're no spring chickens for sure!  So many people we've told about this addition ask us "was it planned?".  Why are people rude like that?  It's really none of their business.  We're having a baby!  That's the important point! 

 

Hope to follow along with the posts from this point on.  Glad to get to know you... would esp. like to hear from the Canadian mamas.  (pm me). 


chicken3.gif    Wife to DH and Mama to five beautiful children,    Always remembering out Little Angel angel.gif we lost in Jan. 2004. 
 
teapot2.GIF, selectivevax.gif,winner.jpg,cd.gif,fambedsingle1.gifbftoddler.giffbbf.giffemalesling.GIF
 

matyja is offline  
#194 of 323 Old 04-06-2011, 02:00 PM
 
saoirse2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,292
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

matyja...I am living in Ontario and will be 42 when this baby arrives too ;)


mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

saoirse2007 is offline  
#195 of 323 Old 04-08-2011, 08:48 AM
 
Marnica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi everyone may I join you?

 

Im 38. I will be 39 when this baby is due in Mid November. I have a 3 year old son and my DS is 34.

 

I had a M/C in December and My RE has expressed concern for this pregnancy due to slow hcg doubling times. Im actually going in today for an US. I firmly believe that I will hold this precious baby in my arms in another 7 months. I love to have a place where us AMA mamas can hang!


If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Marnica is offline  
#196 of 323 Old 04-10-2011, 02:43 PM
 
Mommel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: down south
Posts: 759
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My age at delivery: 38

My partner's age at delivery: 38

EDD: 09/05/2011

Sex: BOY!

 

This is our first and I am SO ready for this! I have wanted to be a mom for a long time...

 

love.gif


Moo.

Mommel is offline  
#197 of 323 Old 04-11-2011, 06:20 AM
 
Marnica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

Hi everyone may I join you?

 

Im 38. I will be 39 when this baby is due in Mid November. I have a 3 year old son and my DS is 34.

 

I had a M/C in December and My RE has expressed concern for this pregnancy due to slow hcg doubling times. Im actually going in today for an US. I firmly believe that I will hold this precious baby in my arms in another 7 months. I love to have a place where us AMA mamas can hang!


I guess I should have waited until after my US befpore posting. This baby is not meant to be either. This will be my second miscarriage in 4 months. Good luck to you ladies
 

 


If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Marnica is offline  
#198 of 323 Old 04-11-2011, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
 
samstress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: so-cal
Posts: 2,240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia's mama View Post

Can I join?? I'll be 37 at delivery, DH age 34. I'm due July 24th, 2011

of course you can.  congrats and welcome!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagewinna View Post

I am 42, 43 when I'm due. DH is 44. EDD is 12/5/11.

 

Our last one ended in November in a miscarriage, actually I am still listed here are being due in June. I am cautiously optimistic this time around and trying not to read anything about risks at this age. lol

sorry about your loss, but so glad that you're back with us.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtomany View Post

Hi!  My name is Michelle.  I am due April 8th (this Friday) which also happens to be my birthday.  I will be 41.  My husband just turned 43 at the end of March.  We have 8 children ranging in age from 18 months to 20 y/o.  Four of my seven pregnancies went to 42 weeks, resulting in an induction.  I am trying everything possible to avoid that this time :)  Our twins were induce at 38 weeks d/t reduced fluid level.

 

 

welcome michelle.  so, any news?  if not, here's hoping you can avoid another induction.

 

our dd's birthday is also april 8th (just turned 4).
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matyja View Post

Hi all you mamas!  I've been posting on some of the other boards since the beginning of this pregnancy and thought I'd like to join this group!  I'm about 24+ weeks and things are going fine.  This will be baby #5 (pregnancy #6) and due end of July.  I'll be 42 when this little lovebug arrives.  DH will be (I think?) 49 in the fall.  So we're no spring chickens for sure!  So many people we've told about this addition ask us "was it planned?".  Why are people rude like that?  It's really none of their business.  We're having a baby!  That's the important point! 

 

Hope to follow along with the posts from this point on.  Glad to get to know you... would esp. like to hear from the Canadian mamas.  (pm me). 

i think many of us here have heard insensitive comments from people (i know i certainly have).  a simple "congratulations" would suffice, but people, for some reason, feel the need to point out our age (as if we're not very much aware of it).  all one needs to do is scroll the list of "birth announcements" in this thread's original post to see how many women are having beautiful, healthy babies at an "advanced maternal age".
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommel View Post

My age at delivery: 38

My partner's age at delivery: 38

EDD: 09/05/2011

Sex: BOY!

 

This is our first and I am SO ready for this! I have wanted to be a mom for a long time...

 

love.gif

welcome and congrats (on your first).  how wonderful for you -- you must be thrilled.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post


I guess I should have waited until after my US befpore posting. This baby is not meant to be either. This will be my second miscarriage in 4 months. Good luck to you ladies
 

hug.gif so sorry mama.  sadly, many of us here have been where you are.  we lost one in november '09.  we waited several months before even trying again (honestly, because i couldn't bear the thought of going through another loss again).  got pregnant in august '10, and so far, there have been no problems/complications.  i've got 3 weeks to go and will turn 39 next week.

 

please take care and be kind to yourself. hug.gif
 

 


mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

samstress is offline  
#199 of 323 Old 04-19-2011, 04:17 PM
 
BHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: the beautiful Santa Cruz mountains
Posts: 999
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

(cross posted in May & June DDCs)

 

 

My OB today is recommending weekly NSTs. shrug.gif

 

From the little research I've done, I've found the following:

 

"A NST may be performed if:

  • You sense that the baby is not moving as frequently as usual
  • You are overdue
  • There is any reason to suspect that the placenta is not functioning adequately

 

"If your baby's heart beats faster (at least 15 beats per minute over his resting rate) while he's moving for at least 15 seconds on two separate occasions during a 20-minute span, the result is normal, or "reactive." A normal result means that your baby is probably doing fine for now. Your practitioner may want to repeat the test every week (or more often) until your baby's born.

"If your baby's heart doesn't beat faster while he's moving or your baby doesn't move after about 90 minutes, the result is "nonreactive." A nonreactive result doesn't necessarily mean something is wrong. It just means that the test didn't provide enough information and you may need to take it again in an hour or take other tests such as a biophysical profile or contraction stress test.

"However, a nonreactive result could indicate that your baby isn't getting enough oxygen or that there are problems with the placenta."

 

And then, the path can lead to [as I suspected...]:

 

"If your practitioner thinks that your baby's no longer doing well in the womb, she'll probably decide to induce labor."

 

Aside from the exposure to ultrasound, which I do not want (as DH put it: you don't even want to be monitored during labor, why would you want this now??), I have none of the "risk factors" indicated. But since I am over 40, the OB recommends. My gut feeling is: NONSENSE.

 

Anyone else faced with this decision? What did you decide, and why?

 

 


~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

BHappy is offline  
#200 of 323 Old 04-20-2011, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
 
samstress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: so-cal
Posts: 2,240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

my OB recommended twice-a-week NSTs because of an increased amount of amniotic fluid.  i started last tuesday and am going tuesday and friday until baby arrives.  they tell me everything is great when i go. 

 

my gut also tells me it's nonsense and it's getting frustrating because every time i go for an appt, they tell me something else that's "wrong" with me.  i think i've heard it so much that i'm starting to believe it.  i tend to avoid ultrasounds during pregnancy (or any other type of monitoring), but i think i'm just starting to worry about baby (even though s/he is moving all the time and there is no indication that there is a problem).  i guess i agreed to the NSTs just to set my mind at ease. 

 

sorry you're having to deal with this.


mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

samstress is offline  
#201 of 323 Old 04-20-2011, 02:47 PM
 
Gloverby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

 

* Name: Keely
* EDD: 21/12/2011

* Age: 38, and will be 39  at EDD
* Location: Tacoma, WA (for now), but baby will be born in Adelaide, South Australia.
* What number child is this for you: This will be our 2nd.
* Family: My guy (Cecil) is 44 and my son (Tiberius) is 19 months. We are also owned by 5 cats.

 

Add me....add me!!

Gloverby is offline  
#202 of 323 Old 04-20-2011, 03:08 PM
 
BHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: the beautiful Santa Cruz mountains
Posts: 999
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by samstress View Post

my OB recommended twice-a-week NSTs because of an increased amount of amniotic fluid.  i started last tuesday and am going tuesday and friday until baby arrives.  they tell me everything is great when i go. 

 

my gut also tells me it's nonsense and it's getting frustrating because every time i go for an appt, they tell me something else that's "wrong" with me.  i think i've heard it so much that i'm starting to believe it.  i tend to avoid ultrasounds during pregnancy (or any other type of monitoring), but i think i'm just starting to worry about baby (even though s/he is moving all the time and there is no indication that there is a problem).  i guess i agreed to the NSTs just to set my mind at ease. 

 

sorry you're having to deal with this.


hug.gif sorry to you, too. how did you find out you have an increased amount of amniotic fluid? you can always decide to stop having the NSTs if that's not working for you. but if it is easing your mind, that's worth something for sure.

 

i've decided that since i am not exhibiting any of the reasons to have a NST, i am going to say no thank you.

 


~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

BHappy is offline  
#203 of 323 Old 04-20-2011, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter
 
samstress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: so-cal
Posts: 2,240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

welcome keely (and congrats)!


Quote:
Originally Posted by BHappy View Post




hug.gif sorry to you, too. how did you find out you have an increased amount of amniotic fluid? you can always decide to stop having the NSTs if that's not working for you. but if it is easing your mind, that's worth something for sure.

 

i've decided that since i am not exhibiting any of the reasons to have a NST, i am going to say no thank you.

 

 

i had a low lying placenta, so they did an u/s to make sure that was no longer an issue (it isn't), but then they discovered an increased amount of fluid.  like i said, it seems like they find something wrong every time i go.  i've actually canceled two appointments in the last month because i just hate going.  they also find some reason to bring up my possibly needing a c-section (i can't remember the last time i had an appt when someone didn't mention the dreaded "c" word). 

 

i was so confident at the beginning at this pregnancy.  committed to having my vbac and sure that i could, but the closer i get to my due date (just two weeks away now), the less sure i am.  and i know that's such a bad place for my head to be right now.  i just haven't been feeling very good lately (physically or emotionally).  i usually feel very healthy and vibrant, but just haven't lately.  i'm having pelvic pain and have just been down right lazy.  dh has been great.  being very supportive.  i know he sees that i'm not doing well, so he's doing all he can to stay positive and to convince me that i can do this, but it just seems like my care providers aren't in my corner.  we're planning on staying at home and laboring as long as we can, but i fear what will happen when we get to the hospital.  what if i'm just not tough enough?

 

sorry, i'm just having a pity party. gloomy.gif
 

 


mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

samstress is offline  
#204 of 323 Old 04-21-2011, 07:53 AM
 
BHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: the beautiful Santa Cruz mountains
Posts: 999
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by samstress View Post

welcome keely (and congrats)!


 

i had a low lying placenta, so they did an u/s to make sure that was no longer an issue (it isn't), but then they discovered an increased amount of fluid.  like i said, it seems like they find something wrong every time i go.  i've actually canceled two appointments in the last month because i just hate going.  they also find some reason to bring up my possibly needing a c-section (i can't remember the last time i had an appt when someone didn't mention the dreaded "c" word). 

 

i was so confident at the beginning at this pregnancy.  committed to having my vbac and sure that i could, but the closer i get to my due date (just two weeks away now), the less sure i am.  and i know that's such a bad place for my head to be right now.  i just haven't been feeling very good lately (physically or emotionally).  i usually feel very healthy and vibrant, but just haven't lately.  i'm having pelvic pain and have just been down right lazy.  dh has been great.  being very supportive.  i know he sees that i'm not doing well, so he's doing all he can to stay positive and to convince me that i can do this, but it just seems like my care providers aren't in my corner.  we're planning on staying at home and laboring as long as we can, but i fear what will happen when we get to the hospital.  what if i'm just not tough enough?

 

sorry, i'm just having a pity party. gloomy.gif
 

 


hug2.gif

 

try to embrace where you are right now. its ok to feel down. and probably better to face your fears rather than stuff them away somewhere, only to have them surface later (like in labor).

 

i recently received a tip from a nice intuitive woman who said that when you have a wish or intention you want to manifest, write down your wish (such as the birth you want to have), light a candle, and speak your wish 7 times per day for 7 days.

 

you can totally do this, and you will!

 

xo

 


~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

BHappy is offline  
#205 of 323 Old 04-21-2011, 10:21 AM
 
Mamatoabunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,864
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am 32 weeks today, still doing UP. I gained a pound since last month and surprisingly I am only measuring 1cm. I have almost measured 4-5 ahead. I feel very well, we have house buying stress, but that can't be avoided. Otherwise I feel good physically. I walk 3-4 times a week. It is getting much harder and I am slowing down a lot and enjoying these last few weeks. 


Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

Mamatoabunch is offline  
#206 of 323 Old 04-23-2011, 09:46 PM
 
Mommel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: down south
Posts: 759
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by BHappy View Post

(cross posted in May & June DDCs)

 

 

My OB today is recommending weekly NSTs. shrug.gif

 

From the little research I've done, I've found the following:

 

"A NST may be performed if:

  • You sense that the baby is not moving as frequently as usual
  • You are overdue
  • There is any reason to suspect that the placenta is not functioning adequately

 

"If your baby's heart beats faster (at least 15 beats per minute over his resting rate) while he's moving for at least 15 seconds on two separate occasions during a 20-minute span, the result is normal, or "reactive." A normal result means that your baby is probably doing fine for now. Your practitioner may want to repeat the test every week (or more often) until your baby's born.

"If your baby's heart doesn't beat faster while he's moving or your baby doesn't move after about 90 minutes, the result is "nonreactive." A nonreactive result doesn't necessarily mean something is wrong. It just means that the test didn't provide enough information and you may need to take it again in an hour or take other tests such as a biophysical profile or contraction stress test.

"However, a nonreactive result could indicate that your baby isn't getting enough oxygen or that there are problems with the placenta."

 

And then, the path can lead to [as I suspected...]:

 

"If your practitioner thinks that your baby's no longer doing well in the womb, she'll probably decide to induce labor."

 

Aside from the exposure to ultrasound, which I do not want (as DH put it: you don't even want to be monitored during labor, why would you want this now??), I have none of the "risk factors" indicated. But since I am over 40, the OB recommends. My gut feeling is: NONSENSE.

 

Anyone else faced with this decision? What did you decide, and why?

 

 


I'm 38. I see a midwife and think it's rubbish that just because I'm over 35, I'm at a higher risk of complications. I'm healthy. I eat mostly whole foods in healthy and well balanced amounts. I have taken great care of my body and my system and will likely continue to... I had ONE u/s and do not plan on having another. I have had ZERO vaginal exams since becoming pregnant and have had my blood drawn four times. Once for the usual battery of tests and three times very early on in the pregnancy for hcg level doubling times in order to rule out a repeat ectopic. I will likely have a glucose test to make sure I don't also need to keep a better eye on my blood sugar levels. That will the full extent of the testing I'll have during my pregnancy.

 

The only thing I'm at a higher risk of is unnecessary interventions by idiot OBs who automatically think I'm at a higher risk just because of my age. This will be my first child, and the single biggest lesson I am learning about being a mother is to trust my intuition. If you think it's nonsense, after doing the requisite research to explore ALL sides of the issue, than it likely is... but you know, I'm not a doctor or anything.

 

eyesroll.gif

 

In any case, I know what it feels like to have people second-guess your gut and try to convince you to ignore it. I'm sorry you're going through that, 'cause it sucks. 

 


Moo.

Mommel is offline  
#207 of 323 Old 04-24-2011, 04:17 PM
 
CNM2B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Ladies!  May I join in the fun?

 

My name is Jennifer and I'm expecting my second child in November (11/27).  I'll be 39 when I deliver and DH will be 42.  We have a 4 year old DD and honestly thought we were done, but when the infamous 'clock' started ticking a few months ago, I realized how sorry I'd be if we didn't at least try for one more.  So voila!  It happened our first month of trying, so I figure that it was meant to be.  Knowing for sure that this will be my last pregnancy, I'm trying to appreciate and enjoy each moment and experience (even the not-so-fun ones!)

 

I'm a labor and delivery nurse as well as a student nurse-midwife (I'll be graduating shortly after the baby is born).  My experience makes this pregnancy super scary because I know WAY more than I wish I did!  I work in a large tertiary care center with tons and tons of intervention.  I have no choice but to deliver there myself (we have no birth centers within a driveable distance and I'm just not comfortable with a homebirth for myself), so I'm going to try very hard to have as little intervention as possible without micromanaging my own delivery experience.  We'll see how that goes!

 

It's great to see all of you "more mature" mommas out there--you inspire me that I can do this too!

 

 


Wife to Mike, Mom to DD 4, RN and Student Nurse-Midwife.  Expecting #2 on 11/27/2011.
CNM2B is offline  
#208 of 323 Old 04-25-2011, 07:28 AM
 
BHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: the beautiful Santa Cruz mountains
Posts: 999
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

congrats ! and welcome, jennifer love.gif


~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

BHappy is offline  
#209 of 323 Old 04-25-2011, 07:30 AM
 
BHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: the beautiful Santa Cruz mountains
Posts: 999
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommel View Post




I'm 38. I see a midwife and think it's rubbish that just because I'm over 35, I'm at a higher risk of complications. I'm healthy. I eat mostly whole foods in healthy and well balanced amounts. I have taken great care of my body and my system and will likely continue to... I had ONE u/s and do not plan on having another. I have had ZERO vaginal exams since becoming pregnant and have had my blood drawn four times. Once for the usual battery of tests and three times very early on in the pregnancy for hcg level doubling times in order to rule out a repeat ectopic. I will likely have a glucose test to make sure I don't also need to keep a better eye on my blood sugar levels. That will the full extent of the testing I'll have during my pregnancy.

 

The only thing I'm at a higher risk of is unnecessary interventions by idiot OBs who automatically think I'm at a higher risk just because of my age. This will be my first child, and the single biggest lesson I am learning about being a mother is to trust my intuition. If you think it's nonsense, after doing the requisite research to explore ALL sides of the issue, than it likely is... but you know, I'm not a doctor or anything.

 

eyesroll.gif

 

In any case, I know what it feels like to have people second-guess your gut and try to convince you to ignore it. I'm sorry you're going through that, 'cause it sucks. 

 

 

yep. statistics are useful. but we have to remember that *we* are not statistics ! thumb.gif
 

 

Mommel likes this.

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

BHappy is offline  
#210 of 323 Old 04-25-2011, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
 
samstress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: so-cal
Posts: 2,240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

welcome jennifer and congrats! 

 

i too will deliver at 39 (just had a birthday last week) and have a 4-year-old dd.  and this will (most likely) be our last.  so glad you found us. smile.gif


mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

samstress is offline  
Reply

Tags
Lighthouse Internationals Guide To Family Involvement Maximizing Rehabilitation Outcomes For Older A , Pregnancy Bleeding , Finding A Preceptor

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off