Spotting and Freaking Out! :( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 08-31-2010, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know there are lots of posts on here about spotting...trust me, I just read them all. But I am spotting bright red and this morning had a chunk with it

Anyone have this and still have a healthy baby? This is my first pregnancy. I am 7 weeks, 2 days today. My boobs are still sore and I do not have cramping, just some mild discomfort in general (what's new).

It'd be a great comfort to hear that this has happened to someone who carried full term. Most the posts I've read say the spotting is brown or pinkish. This is bright red and, like I said, had a chunk in it this morning (sorry, TMI).

Hoping to hear some words of comfort from you ladies...

ps--DH and I discussed taking a HPT just to be sure...what do you all think? Should I do this or just wait it out?

DW married to DH expecting first baby in April 2012!

#2 of 28 Old 08-31-2010, 12:22 PM

Yes, I had some bleeding just like that at 7 weeks, three days (roughly). I had an ultrasound, and everything was fine... and then I continued to spot/bleed until about 26 weeks, no problem ever detected. I'm 35 weeks pregnant now, everything is fine! Not the most reassuring post, I know, because mine lasted so long, but it's entirely possible to have bleeding and be fine. I suspect my cervix was just really irritated from something - nothing ever showed up on the several ultrasounds I had that would indicate that the blood was even coming from the uterus. I know it's so stressful, though, best of luck to you.

Julie, mom to Ansel (Sept '07) and Amalia (Sept '10)
#3 of 28 Old 08-31-2010, 01:24 PM

many of the posts about spotting mention having bright red spotting with chunks (clots)

it could be a few things, not just miscarriage. subchorionic hematoma and irritated cervix (the clotting from laying down and the blood staying up there and clotting before it comes out) are the two most common causes Ive seen around here for non-miscarriage bleeding. They do happen frequently enough I would say its very much a possibility!

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#4 of 28 Old 08-31-2010, 03:22 PM

One morning at 7 weeks, I went to work feeling fine... got up to talk to a coworker in and felt a *whoosh* of blood. I went to the bathroom and it was bright red and far too much blood to call it spotting. I was devastated and just knew that the baby was gone. Called the doctor and went in for an ultrasound... was still bleeding at this point. Baby was found to be quite alive and well. Turned out that I had a subchorionic hemorage that was about 2 cm. Stopped bleeding later the same day. Had another ultrasound a week later and the hematoma was still there, but not bleeding. By my 19 week anatomy ultrasound, the hematoma was gone... absorbed, I guess.

I'm now 36w4d and baby is still doing quite well. Please try not to jump to the worst conclusion here. Just call your practitioner and ask them to check things out. A quick ultrasound will let you know one way or the other.

As an aside, I have had 2 first trimester losses and neither of those started with any bleeding. I ended up having D&Cs because I wasn't miscarrying, but the babies were gone. With DS (now almost 5), I also had enough bleeding that it looked like a normal period and I ended up not suspecting that I was pregnant for another 4 weeks because of it. Bleeding, in my case, hasn't been a sign of doom.

Wife to Brian , mother to Xander 10/26/05 and new squishy, Claire 9/26/10 .
#5 of 28 Old 08-31-2010, 06:23 PM

Things can definitely turn out well, even with bleeding and even with a "chunk." I don't think a hpt will be particularly helpful at this point because even if you were having a m/c it would take a while for your homone levels to drop enough to give you a negative test.
#6 of 28 Old 08-31-2010, 06:58 PM

I don't have my own positive story to share but I just wanted to give you a hug. I know its impossible not to worry, but many women bleed in their pregnancies and everything turns out just fine. Check in with your midwife/doctor and perhaps they can help you figure out what is going on.

As for the HPT, I tested positive for almost 4 weeks after I miscarried so I don't think taking one at this point would be especially illuminating. For what its worth, my miscarriage started with a backache and my water breaking, before any bleeding.

Sending you lots of sticky vibes.

Teetina
Expecting a little one in August! 
#7 of 28 Old 09-02-2010, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your support...here's a new issue...

so I went for an emergency sonogram. the tech couldn't find the baby, so she did an internal. i am supposed to be 7 1/2 weeks but I only measured 5 1/2 weeks and there was no heartbeat

the tech said that if i'm 5 1/2 weeks, it could be too early to see the heartbeat but MW and I are sure of my dates. MW thinks I may have a blighted ovum (gestational sac but no baby inside). anyone experience this?

I researched it and found a few women who were diagnosed with a blighted ovum and it turns out it was a misdiagnosis. I also found some women who measured small and didn't see a heartbeat all through the first trimester but then when they crossed into the second trimester, the heartbeat was there and the measurements caught up. It was blamed on a tilted uterus.

I don't know if I have a tilted uterus, but I'm hoping and praying that I do!!!

I'd love to hear from anyone who had a blighted ovum--especially if it turned out to be a misdiagnosis. I'm clinging to the tiny ray of hope that I have

#8 of 28 Old 09-03-2010, 01:20 PM

I haven't had a bighted ovum. But I am hoping for you and yours, and sending you all of my best wishes, and many s. When do you go back in?

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bank balance smaller, home happier, clothes dirty, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." ~A.U.
#9 of 28 Old 09-03-2010, 02:12 PM

If it really is 5.5 weeks, then it is too early to see the HR on the sonogram. Even at 7 weeks it can be hard to find!

How are your blood hormone levels? Good? The can test them again in a few days to see if they are increasing like they should be in a viable pregnancy.

FWIW, I had heavy bleeding, with clots and cramps, at 7 weeks. I was sure it was a mc. But the baby was still there! I continued having sporadic bleeding, with clots, through week 20 or so. That baby is now a healthy and strong newborn.

Good luck, and keep us posted on how you are doing.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#10 of 28 Old 09-03-2010, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

thank you...

I went in this morning for my second round of blood. The first (which was Wednesday) showed low pregesterone and low HCG, but MW is trying to hold onto hope like I am. I should know by tonight or tomorrow morning if my levels are going up or down.

Any prayers are welcome!

#11 of 28 Old 09-03-2010, 05:13 PM

Keeping you in my thoughts.

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bank balance smaller, home happier, clothes dirty, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." ~A.U.
#12 of 28 Old 09-03-2010, 07:25 PM

I hope you get good news soon! I had a blighted ovum years ago and if I remember right, I think it was around 6 weeks or so that I had my first ultrasound because I'd been having a little spotting. They didn't see a heartbeat but told me it was probably too early to see anything but they also warned me it could be a blighted ovum. A week or so later I had a miscarriage.

With this pregnancy I had tons of bleeding with clots at about 11 weeks and spotting for several weeks after and it turned out to be a subchorionic hematoma that resolved itself by 18 weeks.

There's no way of knowing for sure what's going on right now, and there really is nothing you can do except take it easy and wait. It's so hard, I know!

Casey - Mama to my little lovey girl 6-2-07 and my littler lovey girl 11-16-10!
#13 of 28 Old 09-04-2010, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

Sad news...the bloodwork came back. My progesterone went down from 16 to 13 (12 is the lowest it could be without danger) and my hcg levels went up but just slightly They aren't doubling and tripling like they should be at this stage.

DH and I are really discouraged and sad. Seems like this will be the hardest part...waiting for my body to do the inevitable on its own.

Anyone out there have to wait a long time for the miscarriage to happen? I just fear that it won't happen on its own and I also fear that I'll have to wait several months to be on a regular cycle so we can try again I want to get right back on the horse but MW said I'll have to wait three cycles whenever by body finally gets back on a regular rhythm.

*sigh*

Thanks for all your support out there. I hope to be back on here again soon talking about morning sickness, sore breasts and food cravings!

#14 of 28 Old 09-05-2010, 12:51 AM
myk

i'm sorry. *hugs*

January 2011
#15 of 28 Old 09-05-2010, 01:35 AM

So sorry. I hope you do not have to wait too long for your body to reset. Your dropping hormones should trigger a mc soon. I hope you enjoy TTC and get a sticky baby soon.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#16 of 28 Old 09-05-2010, 02:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm so sorry.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#17 of 28 Old 09-05-2010, 03:22 AM

I am so sorry - but you don't have to wait for 3 cycles to try again unless emotionally you don't think you will be able to handle it. The new recommendations are 1 cycle if you have had a D&C and whenever you feel up to it if you m/c naturally.

I m/c naturally in mid-July at 7 weeks, and was pregnant again by mid-August with this little one, so if you feel up to it, there is no medical reason to wait. The only reason they say to wait with the D&C is because sometimes the endometrial lining can be too thin to support a pregnancy the cycle directly following because of the scraping that they do.

I am so sorry you have to go through this and I hope it happens easily and quickly for you - it sounds like your body is already figuring things out so you may not have to wait too long at all.

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#18 of 28 Old 09-05-2010, 03:47 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss.

If you haven't already, I would suggest posting in Pregnancy and Birth Loss. Or just searching. There have been a lot of threads about waiting out m/cs, or deciding whether or not to.

Mommy to kids

#19 of 28 Old 09-05-2010, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuamami View Post
I'm so sorry for your loss.

If you haven't already, I would suggest posting in Pregnancy and Birth Loss. Or just searching. There have been a lot of threads about waiting out m/cs, or deciding whether or not to.

Thank you--I will check out that section for sure.

#20 of 28 Old 09-05-2010, 10:30 AM

I am sorry

My experience has been that once the bleeding starts the miscarriage happens quickly. I conceived DD1 two weeks after a natural m/c and conceived the baby I'm carrying now 1 cycle after a d&c. How long you wait is really up to you.

mama to two sweet girls love.gif 8/05, fairy.gif 11/08, a handsome little guy babyboy.gif 4/11, and expecting another 5/13
always missing our angel1.gif (11/04, 4/07, 8/07, 5/10)
#21 of 28 Old 09-05-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amo4piano View Post
MW said I'll have to wait three cycles whenever by body finally gets back on a regular rhythm.
This advice is purely for your own psychelogical health unless there is any reason to suspect a molar pregnancy (which in your case I would not suspect). Has nothing to do with you physically especially for a pregnancy that only lasted a couple weeks. If you end up pregnant again right away, you will be fine. (although you will be even more paranoid about losing it than you were the first time)

When I had my miscarriage (13 weeks) I was told I could start trying right away if I felt like I could handle it mentally.

My cycles went right back to normal, if you count the first day of the actual miscarriage as the first day of a period.

My son was conceived 2 months later.

The bad part is I almost lost him too (placental abruption at 17 weeks from a car accident, NOTHING to do with the miscarriage) and ended up on bedrest with severe depression due to it.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#22 of 28 Old 09-05-2010, 09:14 PM

When my friend miscarried at 7ish weeks, she still had pregnant hormone levels and went one for a week or two thinking she was still pregnant! I'm only writing about her because... she found out she had actually lost the baby so late in that particular cycle, she was going to "try" again but didn't have to "try" - she turned up pregnant the very next cycle! Never had a normal period between m/c-ing and getting pregnant again. There is hope!

Also wanted to ask, have you actually miscarried yet? It's not over until the AF sings. My getting pregnant story was crazy (you can read it here if you want, but it's long) Anyway, my hormones were low all through the first weeks, so low that I was told I would miscarry and to wait around for it for two weeks, then call for a possible ectopic if I didn't lose it within that time frame. Turns out, they were wrong, and that baby is now my 3 year old. Now, I didn't have bleeding at 7 weeks, only during implantation, so this isn't you. But I'm just saying, it's not over, 'til it's over.

K: high school teacher and mama to DS1 (7/07), loss (10/10) and DS2 (7/12). Married to my best friend and soon to be elementary school teacher!
#23 of 28 Old 09-05-2010, 09:28 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
I would read some of the MC stories in the Birth Loss section. They helped me immeasurably when I realized I had an impending MS. You can go to that forum and search your number of weeks and get stories of miscarriages right around your stage of pregnancy.

One of the things I remember reading is that if you want wait it may be better to let it happen on it's own. There is some opinion out there that it takes longer to heal from a D&C.

My MC happened on it's own (but I didn't have to wait longer than about 12 hours) and my cycles returned to normal right away. Without trying very hard I was pregnant again in 5 months.

One thing that would be good to do after the MC is take a pregnancy test a few days later to be sure it was complete. I opted for an exam about a month later just to be sure.

Mama, I know how hard this is!! I hope you heal quickly (I did) and get all the support you need.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#24 of 28 Old 09-06-2010, 04:20 AM

I am so sorry.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#25 of 28 Old 09-06-2010, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

MovnMama, thanks tremendously for this post. I think I am the only one in the whole situation that hasn't given up hope. We were at a wedding yesterday and DH even suggested I let loose and have some cocktails...NO WAY. I understand that ALL the odds are against me, but I am not giving up hope until I know there is none to hold onto.

The very strange part is that I still "feel" pregnant. My breasts are sore, I'm tired, and I have increased appetite. I know that all these symptoms can last until my hcg levels go completely away, but I guess I'm in complete and utter denial at this point.

I am going to read your conception story right now. Thanks again for this tiny ray of hope.

#26 of 28 Old 09-06-2010, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amo4piano View Post
MovnMama, thanks tremendously for this post. I think I am the only one in the whole situation that hasn't given up hope.
Hey, Amo4piano

Sometimes it's hard to read where a person is "at" on-line so it can be hard to tell what a person needs to hear about. I have read many, many stories of almost certain miscarriages that ended in happy healthy pregnancies. For me, I knew I was having a miscarriage and I think many of us know what's happening to our bodies. Having hope is a *good* sign!!

I will hope for the best for you and the baby!!

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#27 of 28 Old 09-08-2010, 11:34 AM

I'm so sorry that things aren't looking good for this pregnancy. I hope everything works out and you have a healthy baby in there but if not, I just want to chime in on what others have said- you don't have to wait to try again. I had an early m/c and had it naturally. I conceived DD on my very next cycle. Like a pp's friend, I didn't even have a period in between (which confused the doctors as they seem to NEED lmp dates to figure out a pregnancy) That pregnancy was completely normal and uncomplicated and my daughter is now a crazy 3 year old. Whenever you feel ready, you should try again.

Casey - Mama to my little lovey girl 6-2-07 and my littler lovey girl 11-16-10!
#28 of 28 Old 09-08-2010, 12:33 PM

I'm sorry for your loss; I miscarried in early May and had a D&C. The doctor told me i had to wait one complete cycle and i could then try again (providing emotionally you're up to it)...6 weeks later i had concieved again...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page