Eye exam while pregnant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-01-2010, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My glasses are shot and I really need new ones, but my prescription is several years old so I will have to have an eye exam. Are there any problems with having an eye exam while pregnant? I know some mamas have vision issues with pregnancy.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2010, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just know (and your ophthalmologist should tell you this) that your vision can/does change during pregnancy, and it often goes back afterward. Something about fluid levels in the body adding pressure to things in the eye, changing the shape of the eye...I can't remember what my guy told me when I went in last...it was during my first pregnancy. I have glasses that work better when I'm pregnant and glasses that work better when I'm not pregnant now. So that's...

Mommy to ds (4.5), dd(3) and growing a little Valentine's Day babe!
Old 09-02-2010, 12:13 AM

Yeah, it's better to wait until a few months after you have your baby. Your eyes change while you're pregnant. So if you get new glasses now, you might find the prescription is wrong after you have your baby and you'd need to get new lenses.

Mummy to DD-8yrs (Jan-04), DS-5yrs (Dec-06) and DS2-19mths (Apr-11). pos.gif #4 EDD July 26 2013

nocirc.giflactivist.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifbfolderchild.gif

Old 09-02-2010, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

The thing is, I'm having two babies and I don't really see me getting out for new glasses anytime soon after they get here. Plus, these glasses really are shot. I have to fix them 3 or 4 times a day, and the glasses place has said they can't fix them anymore.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 09-02-2010, 12:37 AM

Maybe your doctor could just make you a new pair with your old prescription? You still might have to have an eye exam (to make sure your eyes are healthy and all), but maybe then they could just use your old prescription for a new set of glasses. If you bring your glasses to your eye doctor, they can tell what the prescription is (I believe).
Old 09-02-2010, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejagerw View Post
Maybe your doctor could just make you a new pair with your old prescription? You still might have to have an eye exam (to make sure your eyes are healthy and all), but maybe then they could just use your old prescription for a new set of glasses. If you bring your glasses to your eye doctor, they can tell what the prescription is (I believe).
Oh, that's a good idea! I'll ask.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:14 AM

I was just with my mom when she was getting her eyeglasses and asked the doctor regarding vision and pregnancy, ive been feeling my eye sight get worse (i dont use glasses or contacts).

anyway the doctor confirmed what i suspected-you cannot do a new rx during pregnancy and should wait around 3 months at least to get a new rx.

Happy mama to my four girls S 8.15.02 , L 04.25.06 (gone at 36 weeks ) and L 3.10.07.And another rainbow! Baby C has arrived 10.26.10!
Old 09-02-2010, 08:31 AM

I would (and should) go with cheepies for now. My prescription is pretty light, but it does change during pregnancy, and it makes me nuts afterward.

Carrie .. 
Raising a full house- Kings (12, 3, new) over Queens (8, 7)

Old 09-02-2010, 11:27 AM

i just had an eye exam last week, after waiting throughout my entire pregnancy and 9-months post-partum because of things i had read suggesting you shouldn't get an eye exam while pregnant (even though i really needed to go in and couldn't see clearly any more! )

i asked the doctor about it and he said that there is no reason not to come in while pregnant, there really isn't any evidence to suggest pregnancy changes your vision.

so, my 2cents is to go now, if you need to!

~ sarah
Old 09-02-2010, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! The thing is, what if my glasses were crushed? I need to be able to see, you know? I can't imagine them outright refusing me if I need care.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:18 PM

I don't think the doctor's going to refuse you care. He might even tell you it's fine to get a new prescription while pregnant. He wants your money, so the more often you need to see them the more $$ they get.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
It's possible but not guaranteed that your prescription will change during pregnancy. If your glasses are on their last leg and you really need them to function, then go for an exam. I can't imagine a doctor wouldn't write you a prescription because of your pregnancy. S/he may just caution that the best prescription for your eyes now might not be the best prescription for afterwards.
In fact, when you make the appointment, mention you are pg and ask if that will be an issue in regards to getting a new presctiption.

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
Old 09-02-2010, 01:31 PM

my doc said it was fine, he just didn't give me any type of eye drops or anything because he didn't want to risk anything (I wish he was a an OB or pediatrician, too - he was supportive when I told him I was still nursing my 3 year old and told me to no drops until I was done nursing!)

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
Old 09-02-2010, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

I honestly have not noticed my vision changing at all. Doesn't mean it hasn't, I guess, but of all the pregnancy yuckies I have had, I can honestly say I haven't noticed that one.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:15 PM

i have had docs tell me they don't want to see me till 6 months pp. but i'm sure if there is an issue they'll see you.

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
Old 09-02-2010, 02:27 PM

I ran out of contacts when I was 8 months pregnant, so I HAD to go in for an exam (I hadn't had an exam in probably two years, and that was in another city).

The Dr didn't do drops just to be on the safe.

It turned out my prescription hadn't changed but a tiny tiny bit anyhow, so she just kept it the same.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
Old 09-02-2010, 05:08 PM

Your doc might not use an Rx that's several years old. I'd call and ask what they suggest that you do.

If it were me... I'd go for the exam, and if I needed new glasses, I'd get them. If your vision changes again pp, you could always cut your losses and reuse the frames for the newest Rx.

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light. ~Dylan Thomas

<3 LBM <3 AHM <3

Old 09-02-2010, 07:09 PM

I went to the eye doctor two days ago and they didn't say anything about it. I don't have very bad eyes and could probably get away with strong reading glasses but they have been bothering me lately.

I would say if this is the only chance you have you should go.

Harmony; fly-by-nursing2.gifslingtwin.giffamilybed2.gifcd.giftreehugger.gifblogging.jpg to DH and first time Mom to Xander! 12/24/2008babyf.gif and Oliver 11/3/10 babyf.gif
Old 09-02-2010, 07:23 PM

I would definitely go! You have to be able to see. My vision gets slightly wonky during pregnancy but not severe enough to change my prescription on my glasses or contacts. And once pregnancy was over, my eyes went back to the pre-pregnancy prescription.

Mom to DD (3), my little peanut (9/10/09) and our newest addition 9/16/10

User Tag List