Would you tell your 2.5 yr old where the baby comes out? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-07-2010, 01:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I told my 3 yo DS. As others have mentioned, if they ask they deserve an honest answer. To me it seems so much easier to explain these things to an open-minded three year old than waiting to tell a giggly, red-faced "Oh my gosh Mom, gross" older child.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2010, 02:26 PM

I told my DD1 when she was 2ish -- and also in the obsessed with who has a penis/vagina mode. Lik a PP said -- it seems a lot easier to tell a little kiddo who takes everything as a matter-of-fact, rather than an older kid who might fell like it's "gross". Of course, we were planning a homebirth, with the possiblity that she might be there for the birth. Watching birth videos really helped her visualize HOW that might work!

Mama to 4 girls    chicken3.gif5/05, 12/07, 9/09, 3/11   winner.jpghomeschool.gifhomebirth.jpg

Old 09-07-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakaikai View Post
I happen to think that babies being born from vaginas is age appropriate information for all human beings.
I like how you phrased this & seems to make perfect sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan73 View Post
Honestly, I bet he's already heard from someone else or will soon (and you may not like the version he gets). And there's zip, zero, nada evidence that age appropriate sex education makes kids preoccupied with sex.
Yeah, I think it's actually the opposite! I know I've read that abstinence-only sex ed has proven to be ineffective - resulting in higher rates of teen pregnancy, and I think (not sure) even higher rates of sexual activity as opposed to complete education on sex.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Yup. She knows and has watched videos. However, she still thinks the baby is "pooped" out. When we first told her she would yell "My baby's coming out!" when she went poop on the potty. It was quite hilarious and she's over that now.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 09-08-2010, 04:52 PM
HRJ

I'm not telling my 5 yr old son unless he really asks. but he's in Montessori kindergarten, and 3 weeks ago when we told him we were PG, he said he was going to tell everyone in 'sharing' at 'circle time' that his mom had a baby in her tummy. I really don't need him sharing where it will come out - I am not sure i trust him on that one.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:31 AM

Sure. I was 4 when my mom was pregnant with my younger brother, and I wanted to know how the baby got in there and how they'd get out. She explained it w/o euphemisms but in a way that I'd understand. I've been fascinated with babies and pregnancy and birth ever since. =)

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light. ~Dylan Thomas

<3 LBM <3 AHM <3

User Tag List