Drinking copious amounts of water for ultrasound? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 09-07-2010, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm going in for my 20 week ultrasound tomorrow, and the paperwork specifies to drink 32 ounces of water 2 hours before and not pee until after the ultrasound... What??? Did you guys do this? I'd need depends! If I took in that much fluid and didn't pee, I'd probably explode. I'm nervous about this. I get the rationale for baby visibility and optimal amniotic fluid levels, but I just don't know if I have the physical capacity to do that.

Opinions? What did you do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 35 Old 09-07-2010, 11:20 PM

i just had a 15 week ultrasound where i had to first empty my bladder, then drink 24 oz. of water an hour before the appt. i think since i did pee right before i drank the water it helped me make it through without bursting!! i know that having the full bladder enables them to get a much better view of the baby.
#3 of 35 Old 09-07-2010, 11:33 PM

I did it during my first pregnancy and it's so worth it. I went to the bathroom in the middle of the u/s since they had gotten the important stuff and I couldn't wait any longer. The difference in the images was amazing.

So, try if you can!
#4 of 35 Old 09-07-2010, 11:43 PM

When I went to have my u/s with DD#1, I actually had to go back and sit in the waiting room until I could drink enough water- the tech wasn't able to see everything he needed to, so we had to put it on hold until I could drink more.

This time, I made sure to follow the directions, and like pp said, the difference in image quality was amazing. Once the tech got several measurements (I'm not sure exactly which ones), he let me go pee, then I came back to finish the u/s.

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
#5 of 35 Old 09-07-2010, 11:44 PM

It is possible to have too much in your bladder. I had to pee in the middle of an ultrasound once. The tech couldn't see properly.

Just drink what you are comfortable drinking. Don't cause yourself pain in order to keep that large amount of water in.

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#6 of 35 Old 09-07-2010, 11:47 PM

This is my story;

For my 20 wk they said to come in with a full bladder. they didnt specify anything else they just said full bladder. So i wake up that morning empty my bladder then drink one oooohhhh lets say 15 oz glass of water. by the time I get to the doc 1 hour later i start to feel that limit of bein able to hold it. Now I have never waited at this doctors office for more that 5 min. So I was like, "okay, cool I can do this." They get me into the room pretty quick as my bladder starts to yell at me, and tell me to undress and the Doc will be right in. Okay....... 10 minutes later......15 minutes later ("hunny can you go find a nurse and tell them they have a pregnant woman in here about to burst and that its very mean of them *bottem lip quivers* to keep me waiting like this, PLEASE." Nurse takes 2-3 horribly long minutes to asses the situation and find my doc. "She'll be right in Miss, she is stlll with another aptient. Im so sorry." Me: "......Okay....*insert tinkle wiggle here*" 5 min later Doc comes in, "Im so sorry to keep you waiting darlin, are you Okay?" "Yeeeeahhh" Doc, "do you think you just wanna let a little out so its not so bad?" me: "uh there is no such thing as lettin a lil out right now" Her, "Alright lets get this over with then." I lay down, Me: "oh my god" Doc puts jelly then the wand on my tummy. I can tell shes tryin not to push to hard but OH MY FREAGIN GOSH! "Yup thats your completley full bladder squishin the baby's head,......you know i dont know why they tell you to fill your bladder up, it dosnt ever help.....Hunny do you want to go empty your bladder? I dont see any reason why not to." Me; "oh my god yes please!"

Run to the bathroom, do the deed, and have a seamless ultrasound right after.

Ironically thats the day when I started having to run to the potty every 15 minutes.

Thanks stupid come with your bladder full rule.....

Just drink a glass of water before. You'll be fine.
#7 of 35 Old 09-07-2010, 11:54 PM
Banned

The tech at my u/s was angry for me that they told me to drink that much. She says that even the lower amount is still PLENTY and maybe too much. She let me go empty after the first part, too. I think it's ridiculous to expect a prego mama who's already peeing NONSTOP to drink that much and hold it. The tech was actually horrified at how full my bladder was, and said it wouldn't help at all to be THAT full.
#8 of 35 Old 09-07-2010, 11:55 PM

It's ideal b/c it will that much easier to see baby - but it's not required. I've had numerous ultrasounds with four pregnancies, and even when not gestating, I have an overactive bladder. So, there were times when I couldn't hold it and peed right before going into see the sonographer. It still went fine, and we could see the baby. It's just helpful to have a full-ish bladder. Even so, I had to pee like crazy the second they were finished! All that action with the wand, I guess.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#9 of 35 Old 09-08-2010, 12:02 AM

No!!! My midwife told me to ignore the instructions because they were so overboard. She said a full bladder would be fine -- just drink enough water to feel it's full and don't go the washroom. I was still uncomfortable because they were a half hour or more behind for mine. Eventually they told me to use the washroom but only pee a little bit. And I didn't even come close to drinking the recommend amount!
#10 of 35 Old 09-08-2010, 12:02 AM

For my 20 week ultrasound I wasn't told to drink any specific quantity beforehand. I drink a ton of water anyway, though, so I made sure to not pee beforehand just in case. By the time it was my turn I was about to pee all over the waiting room, so I asked the tech if I could pee and she said yes.

She has 20 years of experience and said that there's no reason to drink a ton beforehand as long as you're typically well-hydrated. From what others are saying here, though, you can see the baby more clearly if you're full of pee. Maybe my tech was just experienced enough to be fine with the blurrier images?

#11 of 35 Old 09-08-2010, 12:22 AM

When I was pregnant with my daughter I had to drink an insane amount of water. It was beyond uncomfortable and I remember the scan taking longer than usual because DD wouldn't cooperate. I ended up having to ask the tech if I could go relieve myself a little. It was that bad.

When I had my ultrasound with my son I asked about drinking the water and they told me not to. The technology or equipment they had didn't require it. The ultrasound tech ended up asking if she could use my scan for a model towards her recertification. She said it was "perfect." So having a full bladder doesn't really make sense... I thought that was across the board and they weren't requiring mamas to drink water anymore??

These were totally different practices in different parts of the country, so maybe that makes a difference.
#12 of 35 Old 09-08-2010, 12:47 AM

Honey, I just went in for an abdominal u/s today at 6w6d, and had nothing in my bladder whatsoever, and they got measurements just fine. I about died when I tried to drink the water beforehand that they tell you to drink - my bladder was so uncomfortably full it was spasming! So yeah, make sure you have to pee, but you don't have to go overboard, you'll be fine

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#13 of 35 Old 09-08-2010, 02:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I actually never had to drink anything before my u/s but I know it is common practice here.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#14 of 35 Old 09-08-2010, 05:36 AM

I had a full bladder for my 20 wk US yesterday. The tech didn't seem to care - he just noted that it caused my uterus to rise up higher - so I'm assuming it was easier to see everything.
#15 of 35 Old 09-08-2010, 06:50 AM

my hospital did not require a full bladder at the 20 week ultrasound... first trimester ultrasounds it does but the baby is so tiny that it makes a difference then (and really, only need it then if its an abdominal one, not if its so early its trans-vaginal)

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#16 of 35 Old 09-08-2010, 07:11 AM

I've had several ultrasounds (at several different practices) and my DP has had like 8 (also at 2 different practices). Neither of us has ever been told to have a full blader or drink more. For DP, they did her scans vaginally until the baby came up out of the cervix, then abdominally. My scans were all abdominal. We've both asked, and been told that there's no need to have a full bladder. In fact for one of mine I had a full bladder by chance, and the tech started looking around and said "it looks like you need to pee, why don't you do that real quick and this will all be more comfortable."

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
#17 of 35 Old 09-08-2010, 09:57 AM

I've experienced both ends of the spectrum. I've been told to go back out to the waiting room and chug, and I've been told to empty my bladder b/c it was making the u/s more difficult. I think a lot depends on Baby's positioning.

Personally, I feel it's a lot easier to go in and be told to pee than it is to go in and be told to wait and drink, so I err on the side of caution!

Carrie .. 
Raising a full house- Kings (12, 3, new) over Queens (8, 7)

#18 of 35 Old 09-08-2010, 10:55 AM

When I was pregnant with my daughter, I had 3 early u/s at my RE's office and then three more during my pregnancy. I was never asked to have a full bladder, and measurements were taken just fine.

This pregnancy, I had an early u/s at the hospital where they had me fill my bladder beforehand, and let me empty halfway through.

I've two more, after I changed providers. Neither of those times was I asked to have a full bladder. In fact, last week at my anatomy scan, the tech asked me to try and empty my bladder halfway through because it was restricting how much room the baby has.

The images were very clear and measurements were taken just fine again.
#19 of 35 Old 09-08-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMaMaZenLovin View Post
This is my story;

For my 20 wk they said to come in with a full bladder. they didnt specify anything else they just said full bladder. So i wake up that morning empty my bladder then drink one oooohhhh lets say 15 oz glass of water. by the time I get to the doc 1 hour later i start to feel that limit of bein able to hold it. Now I have never waited at this doctors office for more that 5 min. So I was like, "okay, cool I can do this." They get me into the room pretty quick as my bladder starts to yell at me, and tell me to undress and the Doc will be right in. Okay....... 10 minutes later......15 minutes later ("hunny can you go find a nurse and tell them they have a pregnant woman in here about to burst and that its very mean of them *bottem lip quivers* to keep me waiting like this, PLEASE." Nurse takes 2-3 horribly long minutes to asses the situation and find my doc. "She'll be right in Miss, she is stlll with another aptient. Im so sorry." Me: "......Okay....*insert tinkle wiggle here*" 5 min later Doc comes in, "Im so sorry to keep you waiting darlin, are you Okay?" "Yeeeeahhh" Doc, "do you think you just wanna let a little out so its not so bad?" me: "uh there is no such thing as lettin a lil out right now" Her, "Alright lets get this over with then." I lay down, Me: "oh my god" Doc puts jelly then the wand on my tummy. I can tell shes tryin not to push to hard but OH MY FREAGIN GOSH! "Yup thats your completley full bladder squishin the baby's head,......you know i dont know why they tell you to fill your bladder up, it dosnt ever help.....Hunny do you want to go empty your bladder? I dont see any reason why not to." Me; "oh my god yes please!"

Run to the bathroom, do the deed, and have a seamless ultrasound right after.

Ironically thats the day when I started having to run to the potty every 15 minutes.

Thanks stupid come with your bladder full rule.....

Just drink a glass of water before. You'll be fine.
Ohhhh yes. ITA that the recommended amount is way too much, and way awful. I drank that much & finished drinking 1 hr before my appt time as stated on my u/s instructions. WELL. I got to the appt at the right time and had to wait 45 TORTUROUS MINUTES!!! I had to pee so bad I thought I was going to cry. Then I got on the u/s table and the tech told me "Wow your bladder is very full." I was like uhhhhh yeah, can I go let some out? She said "You can go completely empty it." ALL THAT FOR NOTHING.

Amanda - wife to DH Kellyjog.gif, Mummers to Trentreading.gif born 03/03/05 Bridgetdust.gif born 08/08/07 and a IT'S A BOY! Kennedy babyboy.gifborn 02/20/11!
#20 of 35 Old 09-08-2010, 11:18 AM

I too have had numerous u/s but recently had a 10 w one and my instructions were to drink 40oz an hour before...The tech did the first part and told me to go pee my bladder was too full so i peed came back she did the rest and said my bladder STILL had plenty of fluid...she said when i come back for my 20w not to drink so much...I think it depends on how new their equipment is and how experienced the tech is...
#21 of 35 Old 09-08-2010, 11:33 AM

This is interesting, because I was told to drink water before my 20 weeks ultrasound, but for a completely different reason. I was never told to make sure I had a full bladder, but was told it was to ensure sufficient amniotic fluid so the baby can move around easily to get good measurements.

She said they usually tell mamas to drink a glass of water before they head out to for the ultrasound, but that in the summer (here in Florida, anyways), they tell women to drink 32 oz of water, because otherwise many women come in dehydrated.
#22 of 35 Old 09-08-2010, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have my ultrasound next week and was also instructed to drink 32 oz of water an hour before the appointment and to not pee. I'm thinking about really stepping up my hydration for the day and then drink a more manageable 20 oz before the appointment. I'll talk to my midwife about it at our prenatal this week.

With my son, I wasn't given any special instructions and the tech had no problems getting the measurements needed.

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#23 of 35 Old 09-08-2010, 01:47 PM

i have tried to cheat on the water and then been made to wait and drink more.

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
#24 of 35 Old 09-08-2010, 02:00 PM

I drank some water for first trimester u/s, but never the huge amount recommended. I had to have an u/s at 23 weeks because this guy was hiding his face and balling his hands. I had one bottle of water, and the tech, a mother of three who had the same midwife told me that the giant amount is rarely needed. I had to have another one at around 35 weeks, they told me to drink a tonne of water. I outright refused. Good thing too, because they were running 1 hour late. I watched several other women in pain and felt so bad for them. Of course I didn't need to tank up, they didn't have any problems seeing what they needed to see at 35 weeks.

Don't trust anyone under 5! Mom to 3 boys under 5. Blogging to save my sanity.
#25 of 35 Old 09-08-2010, 06:16 PM

My first pregnancy I had an US at 14 weeks and drank the amount they told me to. I felt like I was going to pass out in the car on the way to the lab, I felt so awful after holding that much liquid in! When I laid on the table, the US tech said "Oh my gosh, your bladder is obscenely full!" and told me to go pee a certain amount out (about half I think) and then come back. I thought it would be impossible to stop midway, but it relieved me SO much that the rest of the time was smooth sailing! I would say drink what you can, and then beg for mercy and ask if you could let some out when you get there!
#26 of 35 Old 09-08-2010, 07:11 PM

Weird!! My m/w has never instructed me to drink any water before an u/s at all and usually I pee right beforehand. This is my second pregnancy and they never asked me to drink water last time either...nor did i get an "instruction" sheet...i just showed up and they did the u/s!! lol

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#27 of 35 Old 09-08-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujobunny View Post
Amanda - wife to DH Kelly
Totally o/t -- my bike riding DH is a Kelly as well!

#28 of 35 Old 09-08-2010, 09:17 PM

After the first two kids I became convinced (based on comments from the techs) that the whole thing is just some sick joke to torture pregnant women with.

For baby number 3 I didn't drink anything prior to ultrasounds and they worked fine.
#29 of 35 Old 09-08-2010, 09:38 PM

Judging by the comments thus far... could it be that some places have better technology and don't "need" you to drink fanatically, and some are not so up to date technology-wise and need you to drink in order for their machinery to do the trick?
#30 of 35 Old 09-08-2010, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My tech said the only reason I needed to have liquid in my bladder was to see my low-lying placenta (that I didn't know was low lying until then). After she got pics of my placenta and a few other basic measurements I was told to empty my bladder.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page