Diastasis Recti - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-08-2010, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Does anyone know how to prevent it? I'm 27 weeks with my first and my belly looks like a triangle when I try to sit up.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#2 of 4 Old 09-09-2010, 01:28 AM
myk

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
LOL.. i thought i was the only one. i'm 22w. no idea how to prevent it.

January 2011
#3 of 4 Old 09-09-2010, 01:35 AM

I don't, but I just ordered the book Maternal Fitness, author of the tupler technique which appropriately exercises abs after pregnancy to heal diastasis. Her Maternal Fitness book will have exerises to not exaggerate it and perhaps strengthen the right muscles (back and transferse abs).

Maybe see if your library carries it?

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#4 of 4 Old 09-09-2010, 03:31 AM

Stop trying to sit up?

Seriously, be careful when you sit up and always roll to your side or onto all fours first. You can heal diastasis after you've recovered from the pregnancy - i.e. at least six weeks after birth - by doing a very simple exercise involving tightening your abdominal muscles so that your belly button is being pulled back towards your spine. I was able to heal my diastasis almost completely with this method but then I kinda forgot about it, and got pregnant again. But it definitely works. Back on topic: I tried to get up to take care of another kid the other night and I felt a weird ripping sensation. I mentioned it to the midwife and she said the ripping sensation could very well be ripping, and you should not sit up from a laying down position without rolling over first. It could make that diastasis a lot harder (or impossible) to fix later.

I don't mean to rant in your general direction but that was not a pleasant feeling at all and it's ripe in my mind. That triangle thing sure is weird though, I have noticed it and I usually cure it by looking in a different direction.

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page