Safe Deodorant for Pregnant Women? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 63 Old 03-17-2011, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmama View Post

Never looked into it that far but I have to believe it's better than the leading mainstream brands (secret, suave etc).  No one said anything harmful about the Arm N Hammer and I have to believe Toms of Maine's products are a bit more natural than an Arm N Hammer product...I would hope at least, LOL.

Either way, I'm still comfortable with my Toms Deodorant considering it doesn't have a lot of nasty stuff in it that most deodorants do.  I do so much to avoid so many harsh chems while pregnant so I have to believe all will be okay!

You're right, the Arm n Hammer is not what I would call "natural" or "safe" in any way, shape or form. Here are the ingredients in it:

Dipropylene Glycol (by-product of Propylene Glycol manufacturing)

Water

Propylene Glycol (as discussed above)

Sodium Stearate (They make the claim that they use no animal-derived ingredients in this product, but Sodium Stearate is made up of 90% Stearic Acid which is animal fat)

Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda)

Coriandrum Stavum (Coriander) Fruit Oil

Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Oil

Lavandula Hybrida (Lavandin) Oil

Fragrance (could be a combo of any of the 200 chemicals used to make "trade secret" fragrances)

Triclosan (This was just in the news....again. Besides being one of the top 10 contaminents in our rivers and streams, it's shown to cause toxic hormonal effects and was found in the breastmilk of 60% of women tested-and has been found as a contaminent in umbilical cord blood)

Tetrasodium EDTA (A preservative made from the known carcinogen formaldehyde - this is what they use instead of parabens as a penetration enhancer - i.e straight into your bloodstream)

Allantoin

#62 of 63 Old 03-18-2011, 11:29 AM

Oh my, I feel like the heavens have opened up.  I tried this recipe posted previously:

"I make mine, it's simple.

In a small bowl combine 1/4 cup of baking soda with 1/4 cup of corn starch.
Mash in 5-6 tablespoons of coconut oil with a fork, stirring until you get the desired consistency.

I add essential oils, either vanilla, tea tree, or lavender."

IT WORKS!!!! It's the only thing that has ever helped me!  thank you!

Ema to my dear son (inseminated at home with frozen donor sperm) born on 6/25/10. h20homebirth.gifnocirc.gif selectivevax.gif familybed1.gif femalesling.GIF bftoddler.gif cd.gifWife to my dear partner.  rainbow1284.gif goorganic.jpg  hang.gif  sewmachine.gif   blogging.jpg.

#63 of 63 Old 03-19-2011, 11:07 AM

I'm in love with the deodorant and the body spray and the powder and she gave us a free full size bar of goat's milk and lavender soap and a free deodorant.

The scents I got were sandlewood, lavender and she threw in Moraccan fig. They smelled SO good. I'm wearing lavender right now and I smell good and feel good. Yey, natural stuff! I am pretty sure I'll be ordering from her again and I've already recommended her stuff to a couple friends. http://www.www.naturallybee-ewe-tiful.com/index.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmaine View Post

Glad to hear it, I'm sure you'll love it, her sandalwood is wonderful!  I used that for a few years before I got adventurous and tried her Balsam Fir, now I'm hooked on that onelove.gif.  Let me know what you think of the lavender I haven't tried that one yet.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page