Safe Deodorant for Pregnant Women? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 63 Old 09-09-2010, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So obviously most mainstream deodorants/ antiperspirants are not cool, since most of them are not fit for even non-pregnant people to use. What I'm wondering is, has anyone found a safe natural deodorant that actually works? And one that is safe for pregnancy, as in not using any of the essential oils that may be questionable during pregnancy, etc? I'm a big lover of essential oils but I know a lot of them have to be eliminated or cut back during pregnancy. I try to stick with as natural of a deodorant as possible, but find myself relying more and more on my mainstream "backup" that I carry in my purse because I don't like being stinky. And I really want to get away from that if possible!

#2 of 63 Old 09-09-2010, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I use a deodorant crystal, and it works pretty well.
I've seen people here on mdc rave about Funk Butter. I don't think the amount of essential oils in the deodorants you can buy would be harmful. You are not putting the oil directly on your skin, it's diluted in the deodorant.

BC Mum of three ('05, '07, '11 and #4 coming May '14!)    jumpers.gif  belly.gif 

#3 of 63 Old 09-09-2010, 01:24 PM

I tried a million different natural deoderants and none of them worked for me.

What worked is baking soda. You wet your finger, dip it in some bs and rub it under your arm. It's the best deodorant I've ever used. When I use enough, I have NO STINK at the end of the day.

The best "natural" deodorant I've used is Kiss My Face. But it still didn't work that well.

P.S. My two cents about mineral crystals: they almost never tell you what "minerals" are in them and often they contain an aluminum salt, which is one of the things I try to avoid in conventional deodorant/antiperspirant.
#4 of 63 Old 09-09-2010, 01:29 PM

I have used the mineral crystal - but on hot days it doesn't work. I also used Kiss My Face active enzyme. Again it's fine as long at it's not hot and humid.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#5 of 63 Old 09-09-2010, 02:58 PM

I mix baking soda and coconut oil. It works really well for me.
#6 of 63 Old 09-09-2010, 03:10 PM

I use the mineral crystal as well and it works great for me.

Amanda - wife to DH Kellyjog.gif, Mummers to Trentreading.gif born 03/03/05 Bridgetdust.gif born 08/08/07 and a IT'S A BOY! Kennedy babyboy.gifborn 02/20/11!
#7 of 63 Old 09-09-2010, 03:12 PM

I'm not pregnant but I've been using Kimberlily's recipe for cream deodorant since I was pregnant with my youngest and it totally does the job. I don't melt and mix it though . . . I let the butter soften and whip it in my mixer. (I don't but the beeswax in).

I also make a variation SunCat's deodorant spray but instead of using ACV, I use 50:50 vodka and water.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#8 of 63 Old 09-09-2010, 03:15 PM

I like to rinse my arm pits with diluted apple cider vinegar since I use it for my hair and then use a deodorant, though lately I've been using our california baby aromatherapy oil instead of deodorant.

><> Mom to superhero.gif (6) hearts.gif (4) energy.gif (2) and baby.gif (born March!)
#9 of 63 Old 09-09-2010, 03:19 PM

One thing to watch out for is that lots of natural deodorants have sage oil because it works so well...but is not safe for pregnancy or for breastfeeding. I've been using Weleda Citrus Deodorant since I discovered I was pregnant about two years ago (I continue to use it because I'm still breastfeeding). I LOVE it, and it works very well for me. When I worked in HABA sections I got to try every natural deodorant out there, and Weleda is the stuff I constantly turn to (I used to use Burt's Bees, but now that its owned by Clorox I'm reluctant to go back to it). The great thing about Weleda is that their manufacturing and labor practices are top knotch too. They grow most of their own herbs for example (biodynamically at that!).
#10 of 63 Old 09-09-2010, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Kiss My Face liquid rock roll-on is safe and amazing. OMG it actually works and my pits don't itch, either!!!!!!

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#11 of 63 Old 09-09-2010, 04:45 PM

I make mine, it's simple.

In a small bowl combine 1/4 cup of baking soda with 1/4 cup of corn starch.
Mash in 5-6 tablespoons of coconut oil with a fork, stirring until you get the desired consistency.

I add essential oils, either vanilla, tea tree, or lavender. Works great, even hubby uses it.

Like someone said, watch out for those mineral crystal deodorants, they do contain aluminum.
Appie likes this.

Happily married and unschooling 5 kiddos Oct. 2004, July, 2007, July, 2009, Oct. 2010, Nov. 2012 uc.jpg

#12 of 63 Old 09-09-2010, 05:45 PM
Banned

Unless your crystal says no aluminum, like mine does I actually don't use it right now, but I did like it previously and I still have it-- lasts forever. I got one that specifically goes through on its label about not using any aluminum.
#13 of 63 Old 09-09-2010, 07:07 PM

do any of you all perspire a lot? I have a hard time finding natural/home recipes due to the amount of sweating I do.

SAHM married to with twin boys  and a girl .  

#14 of 63 Old 09-09-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacifica View Post
do any of you all perspire a lot? I have a hard time finding natural/home recipes due to the amount of sweating I do.
I sweat a lot. There's nothing natural that will control the sweat. But sweat on it's own doesn't stink. It's when it mixes with bacteria that it takes on a scent. So the point is to make the area inhospitable to bacteria.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#15 of 63 Old 09-09-2010, 07:53 PM

I've been using Tom's of Maine calendula for five years now. LOVE IT. Even on hot days. I recently learned that Tom's was purchased by colgate, was it? So, that isn't such a boon for them, IMO. I've been thinking about alternatives lately. I've just been considering lavender & TTO EOs for the winter (since there's less sweat) and figuring out something else by summer again...

Nessa, DD1 (5) DD2 (3) & expecting again in late February/early March!
#16 of 63 Old 09-10-2010, 03:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've been using Nature's Gate herbal deodorant for quite a while, as I'm VERY sensitive to baking soda in deodorants and this was the first one I found that actually seemed to work. Though, truth be told, I think hormonal changes (i.e., when PPAF showed up, when getting pg, etc.) may change what works.

I did once try lemon juice with baking soda. It worked AMAZINGLY well - but I got a horrible rash that didn't go away until I applied, yes, conventional antiperspirant. In fact, that's the only reason I have any in the house - in case I accidentally get that awful rash again and need to kill it.

I used to keep an extra deodorant in the car or purse for applying during the day, but don't bother with it now. Not sure I ought to be or not, but no one has yet complained.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#17 of 63 Old 09-10-2010, 01:20 PM

Hrm I just use what I always use plain ole commercial deoderant. I used that with ds and never gave a second thought to it and he was fine in every way.
#18 of 63 Old 09-10-2010, 02:30 PM

Yeah, I've been making my own and totally love it. Baking soda, coconut oil, and water. It works really well for me too. Better than Tom's which is what I was using before. It feels oddly satisfying whenever I make it

Claire, book reading, tree loving, coffee drinking wife to K, and happy SAHM to ds G Feb '09 home birth, dd C ~ free birthed June '11, and now a new lil surprise due October 2012 joy.gif

#19 of 63 Old 09-10-2010, 11:32 PM

I actually heard this one from Dr. Christiane Northrup(I listen to her podcasts): Arm & Hammer Essentials. No paraben or aluminum. And I get at Rite-Aid. I'm a very sweaty person, and it works for me (and those around me LOL).

Rachel, new mommy to Gabriella, married to wonderful T, dog-mommy to Jackson! So-called "older" mom - I'm 40! namaste.gif
#20 of 63 Old 09-11-2010, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter

Oh my gosh, thank you SO much everyone! I love love LOVE your ideas! I have baking soda and coconut oil on hand ALL the time so I am going to try something along those lines! You all have awesome ideas!
My lavender essential oil bottle says to avoid during the first trimester, and one of my midwives confirmed that. I am now in the second trimester but being naturally paranoid, I wonder if I should just avoid it altogether?
When I go swimming in certain public pools, I get a nasty rash on my armpits and the only thing to clear it up is to not wear deoderant, and instead to wear plain natural lotion mixed with tea tree oil, applied a few times daily. By default, I found this is awesome for controlling the stink! However I was nervous about using ridiculous amounts of tea tree oil during pregnancy for extended periods of time (usually takes about a week to clear up.) And besides, I sometimes get sick of smelling like a tea tree.
#21 of 63 Old 09-11-2010, 11:50 AM

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#22 of 63 Old 09-11-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayray View Post
P.S. My two cents about mineral crystals: they almost never tell you what "minerals" are in them and often they contain an aluminum salt, which is one of the things I try to avoid in conventional deodorant/antiperspirant.
They have alum, not aluminum.
http://www.thecrystal.com/faq.cfm

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#23 of 63 Old 09-11-2010, 12:07 PM

I can't believe I'd forgotten how effective baking soda worked. That's all we used when I was growing up at home. I just mix in a little tea tree oil, which is what I use to brush my teeth too. It's very effective. I'm so glad y'all reminded me.

Roslyn (46) Whitney (45) Luke (5/04) (boy due 5/11) 
#24 of 63 Old 09-11-2010, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachingona1 View Post
I make mine, it's simple.

In a small bowl combine 1/4 cup of baking soda with 1/4 cup of corn starch.
Mash in 5-6 tablespoons of coconut oil with a fork, stirring until you get the desired consistency.

I add essential oils, either vanilla, tea tree, or lavender. Works great, even hubby uses it.

Like someone said, watch out for those mineral crystal deodorants, they do contain aluminum.
I quartered this recipe and was so excited to try it out that I put some on before going to bed, LOL! (No, I don't usually wear deoderant to bed! ) I usually have slightly stinky pits in the morning and I don't this morning! AND no rash!! (I have sensitive skin and am always paranoid about trying anything new, even natural, on my armpits!) So, I will wear it today and see how it goes! Thanks again!
#25 of 63 Old 09-11-2010, 06:33 PM

I love Funk Butter. Everyone in the family uses it.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#26 of 63 Old 09-12-2010, 07:51 AM

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#27 of 63 Old 02-26-2011, 08:02 PM

This deodorant is AWESOME! I've used so many however not funk one mentioned here which sounds awesome too! I love the smell. I was usin terressential roll on but it was staining my white shirts and didn't smell as good. 

http://www.facenaturals.com/body/organic-deodorants/100-organic-lavender-and-lemon-deodorant-stick.html

#28 of 63 Old 02-27-2011, 04:48 AM

Just wanted to share this link for anyone interested: http://www.instructables.com/id/Deodorant/

I've been using that basic recipe (I play around a bit with the scents) for the past year or so. It's awesome!!!
#29 of 63 Old 02-27-2011, 10:56 PM

I use a powdered deodorant from Lush called The Greench. It has no aluminum or harmful stuff, and surprisingly, I don't sweat that much either, I guess the powder absorbs the sweat. I love it!

Andrea, 22, wife to DH Chase, 27, parents to 2 wonderful dog2.gif, one cat.gif,  expecting our rainbow1284.gifstork-boy.gif, Roman, in mid-August.
#30 of 63 Old 02-28-2011, 11:00 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I seem to be extra stinky when pregnant and nursing. I stopped using anti-p because it started reacting horribly with my skin. The smell was worse than BO. All of the natural deodorants like Tom's didn't work very well and I had a rash for like three years. I just ignored the rash because it was the best I could do.

Always a bummer when your co-sleeping baby wakes up with a head smelling like BO. =S

I read about Soapwalla's deodorant cream on Apartment Therapy and not only I was converted but DH, my mom, and my sister all use it now. It is really amazing. And honestly, I didn't realize that stink was stressing me out until I tried this stuff. No more rash either. http://www.etsy.com/listing/35641572/deodorant-cream?ref=sr_gallery_4&ga_search_query=soapwalla&ga_search_type=all&ga_facet=

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page