How long is too long? - Hypothetical Question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 61 Old 09-12-2010, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've been thinking about this a little. I know some women are very against induction based on dates but how long would YOU be willing to be pregnant? Assuming you never went into labor naturally. With good NSTs? Without NSTs? Would you be willing to go 45 weeks? 50 weeks? When does the risk of spontaneous stillbirth become too great?

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#2 of 61 Old 09-12-2010, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hadn't really thought about it. Ds was almost a week late and came on his own. In a perfect world the babies come on their own, but we know that's not always the case.

I guess I'd leave it up to my care providers as they know far more about it than I do.
#3 of 61 Old 09-12-2010, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gummibears View Post
I guess I'd leave it up to my care providers as they know far more about it than I do.
scary thought

Bring back the old MDC
#4 of 61 Old 09-12-2010, 03:36 PM

Personally, I would never go past 43 weeks under any circumstances. I am 38 + weeks now, and honestly, 42 weeks is really the absolute latest I feel comfortable. And I would want NSTs twice a week and a weekly AFI, and I would be vigilant with my kick counts.

Kelly - Labor & Delivery RN, IBCLC, Wife of 22 years, Mom to 4
Proud Surrogate Mommy

#5 of 61 Old 09-12-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gummibears View Post
I think that is how many women end up with unnecessary inductions and all other sorts of interventions. It is just not true in many instances, because most OBYGN professionals know next to nothing about normal pregnancy and birth. And the majority of women get their maternity care from that type of cp.

I think you have to go by what's going on with your body. Is the baby still moving around at his normal rate (things slow a bit as it gets more crowded in there)? Are you feeling well?

I personally wouldn't even bat an eyelash until after 42 weeks. Most first time moms go past that 40wk mark, but few go past 42 by more than a few days. Maybe if I got to 43, and I was sure of my dates, then I'd start thinking about taking a closer look.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#6 of 61 Old 09-12-2010, 03:51 PM

Knowing how anxious I got by 42 weeks (with good looking NST/biophysical profiles), I don't imagine I'd ever have the fortitude to go past 43 weeks, assuming I was very confident in my dates. But I also have a history of successful inductions, I've delivered 4 babies vaginally, and this will be my 3rd delivery with trusted hcps, so I wouldn't be especially worried about the c-section risk.

I'd love to say I'd wait forever but, if I had to guess, 42w4d would be my personal breaking point.

Carrie .. 
Raising a full house- Kings (12, 3, new) over Queens (8, 7)

#7 of 61 Old 09-12-2010, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I've had two 44 weekers. This was based on LMP and not charting, so I don't truly believe my babies were actually gestationally that far along since I have long cycles.

The last one looked to be about 39 weeks. Can you imagine if I had been forced into an induction right at "40 weeks" with her?

The other one was an induction by AROM because she was showing some signs of birth defects and growth retardation according to the ultrasound and I was kinda having piddly off and on contractions anyway and was 4cm so I was fine with going ahead and getting it over with. (She was fine but was born with a very slightly enlarged heart and needed some help with breathing too, which I think she may not have needed if they had left the cord intact for a few more minutes, but they were anxious about the heart thing.)

If I knew for sure when I conceived and based my edd off of that, I am not sure... Maybe 43 weeks. 42 weeks is totally within the range of normal and many midwives will say to 43. I would do BPPs after 42 weeks.

My midwife is quoted on a few sites about postdates mommas saying... "The Christian missionary Nora Lam from China birthed her son after being in a concentration camp years ago (verified by Chinese doctors at that time) at exactly 12 months. Apparently, it wasn't 'safe'for her to let go of her baby boy during her interment. Once she was allowed to leave, she successfully gave birth to him."

A very rare example and I would totally not feel comfortable doing that when I have other options, but it is interesting.

#8 of 61 Old 09-12-2010, 04:38 PM

41 wks plus 2-3 days is MY PERSONAL limit, being very sure of dates. It just is. I've read a lot of studies, I see both sides of the argument, and I think every woman should be "allowed" to go as long as they want, of course. I don't put a ton of stock in NSTs or BPPs. I would get acupuncture and have the mw do several S&S to try to induce before going the AROM or pitocin route.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#9 of 61 Old 09-12-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post
scary thought
Im not sure I think this is an entirely fair statement. In one aspect, your health care professional (be it OBGYN or Midwife) will likely know more than the lay person would about this subject. They do go to school for this sort of thing, and also need to take continuing education courses. Plus, a statement like that would suggest that a woman is putting blind faith in a stranger, when usually women will make an informed decision when it comes to choosing the person who will deliver her baby.

Thus if a person trusts her health care professional and their competency, why wouldnt they also trust that person to have a good idea on how long post dates is deemed safe?

Fiona Rose  stillheart.gif12.25.10stillheart.gif

#10 of 61 Old 09-12-2010, 04:58 PM

DD1 came at 41+4. If i hadn't had my ob/MW's breathing down my neck i think i would have been fine with 43 weeks. She came out thick with vernix/short fingernails/looking not a day past 40wks. My sister was born at 44weeks (by LMP, but 28day cycles) after a 96hour labour, she was OP, born at home, obviously overdue (no vernix, very flaky, long ragged nails etc.) but completely fine.

DD2 came at 40+3. With her i had a very very good independent MW, who i would trust to advise me. She treats every individual case on its own merits and told me some women get to 43 weeks and she's not worried, whereas others she begins to feel concern shortly after 40weeks. I would absolutely trust her to bring concerns to my attention and discuss fully what we could do.

I had 5 s&s's with DD1 bri276, and all it did was weaken my membranes (you could see afterwards the scraped, scratched, thin patch on the bag where all those fingers had been with the ragged tear across it where it had ruptured) so my waters broke before labour began. I was immediately on the clock for transfer (it was a planned HB), and would have been given anti-b's had i laboured much longer, despite no sign of infection whatsoever. Also now i have the comparison, labour was much more intense and painful with no bag of forewaters than with one (DD2's waters broke 7mins before she was born). I would never have an S&S again.
#11 of 61 Old 09-12-2010, 05:11 PM

I don't know. I hadn't thought about it. I'm trusting my baby will come before 42 weeks. I was charting so I know exactly when I conceived. And I'm also 39 years old so I don't know if at my age, it's risky to go past a certain date? I've never researched though so I don't know.

Mom to DD (3), my little peanut (9/10/09) and our newest addition 9/16/10
#12 of 61 Old 09-12-2010, 05:24 PM

I'm not sure i would connect to nst's once i get to 42 wks but as long as all is well with baby it would be down to nature to choose when he/she is born, i have birthed 4 babies already so know my body can kick start labour by it's self.

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

#13 of 61 Old 09-12-2010, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My personal limit is between 42 and 43 weeks but unless necessary I wouldn't agree to an induction before 41.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#14 of 61 Old 09-12-2010, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dichotomy View Post

Thus if a person trusts her health care professional and their competency, why wouldnt they also trust that person to have a good idea on how long post dates is deemed safe?
I agree. I wouldn't be birthing with my OB if I didn't trust her. She attended my hospital vba2c, she's a great doctor, she's not induction happy, and she's not concerned about post dates, assuming NST is fine. I went to 41w3d with that pregnancy and she was never concerned. I had one NST at 41 weeks and everything was fine, so she said you know, just have an NST every 3 or 4 days and as long as the baby is fine, you can go as long as you're personally comfortable. Which, for me, is 42 weeks, assuming i'm positive of dates. The increased risk of stillbirth is not worth it to me to go much beyond 42 weeks.
#15 of 61 Old 09-12-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBecGo View Post

I had 5 s&s's with DD1 bri276, and all it did was weaken my membranes (you could see afterwards the scraped, scratched, thin patch on the bag where all those fingers had been with the ragged tear across it where it had ruptured) so my waters broke before labour began. I was immediately on the clock for transfer (it was a planned HB), and would have been given anti-b's had i laboured much longer, despite no sign of infection whatsoever. Also now i have the comparison, labour was much more intense and painful with no bag of forewaters than with one (DD2's waters broke 7mins before she was born). I would never have an S&S again.
Like everything, it depends on your own situation. I had one with DD and it did nothing, but I'll sure as heck give it a try with this one before an elective pitocin induction instead.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#16 of 61 Old 09-12-2010, 06:05 PM

Tough question for me I think. I was induced to early because of a date mix up (I was right, OB wrong about when I ovulated) I was induced for AMA reasons. I do understand the reasons (likelihood of stillbirth for those over a certain age) and it scares me, it still does. I think it was too early in my case though

This pregnancy, at 40 weeks, I will need to schedule a c-section for 42 weeks. I will be AMA and VBAC. I think the risk for rupture is great the longer you go past 40 weeks, but I could be wrong. At this point, I wouldn't want to go longer than 42, and I know that might mean a c-section. I am annoyed I was put in this position to begin with by an "induction happy" OB who induced me at 39 weeks 5 days (she says 40 weeks 5 days, but I was not that far along). I think if I was younger than 40, maybe I would feel more comfortable going past 42.

My mom said she went 2 1/2 or 3 weeks with me, she can't remember but she said it was longer than 2. She was AMA, and it was a VBAC after a vertical scar. She had no issues, but she had 2 successful vaginal births (one being twins) and I have had one other birth that was a section.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#17 of 61 Old 09-12-2010, 06:21 PM

I don't think I would be concerned until BEYOND 42 weeks. Maybe it if got close to 43, I would start to wonder what's going on. I think my mom went to 42 weeks a few times so I'm sort of expecting that.

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#18 of 61 Old 09-12-2010, 06:32 PM

I went 43w2.. fighting the "good" fight of how babies come when they are ready.

I ended up with a flat NST, a cesarean, a baby with an almost completely ossified skull born stained by Mec. She got 8/ Apgars.. not worse for the wear, thank God. I felt very lucky. It was time for her to come.

However, I would never go that long if I had to do it all over again. At 42 I would have tried induction.. As a HB, I wish I would have tried some natural induction methods.. starting gently and progressively, ie castor oil, sustained nipple stim, homeopathics, etc starting at 40 weeks.

As a hopeful VBAC, 42 is my outside edge of comfort.
#19 of 61 Old 09-12-2010, 07:05 PM

42 weeks is my limit.. sure of my dates, baby moving well etc. though i would probably try some natural induction methods around 41-41.5 weeks, i want to give myself some time for them to work. i'm 3 days from my due date now and i really hope i don't have to think about this ...

- Staci, Mommy to Mollie (3/06), Jamie (5/08), Annie (9/10) and Bently (2/13) chicken3.gif
#20 of 61 Old 09-12-2010, 07:20 PM

42ish weeks here. I'd start to get really concerned around 40w though b/c my first was 37w, 1d so I'd start to wonder why this one was so different. If I had NSTs though I'd be ok going to 42/43 if things looked ok, baby was moving, etc.

obstruct livery vehicles

#21 of 61 Old 09-12-2010, 07:22 PM

I was induced with my dd at 40 wks plus 5 days and it was too early. Once past my due date doc asked me to pick a day on the calender, and me being really young and not knowing any better, thought that was awesome. It was not. This time I would say around 41 weeks and then I would try other more natural methods that pitocin. I definately think you need to research, think of how baby is and what your care provider says, but don't let them do all of the thinking. It's a tough decision either way.

Wife to DH mom to DD(09-05) and DD(03/27).joy.gif

#22 of 61 Old 09-12-2010, 08:05 PM

41+4, because that is a Thursday and I'd rather not get weekend staff during an induction.

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#23 of 61 Old 09-12-2010, 08:25 PM

I would (and usually do) go to 42 weeks. My 4th son was 43 weeks and had a few issues because of it... he was terribly wrinkly and just so tiny, they said he had started to lose weight and thats why he looked that way... also my placenta had already started having issues.. now, normally I wouldnt worry about it, like i said, because even going to 43-45 weeks isnt ALWAYS a problem, it just so happened to have been in my case, so 42 weeks for me.

A single mom, a student, and an aspiring midwife. Due with number 6 November 13th edd
#24 of 61 Old 09-12-2010, 10:55 PM

I've never really thought about it. My dc were born at 37, 37+1, and 38+4. I think I would depend a lot on my intuition, on my mw's intuition. My grandmother had five babies, birthed anywhere from 34w to 44w and all healthy, so with that as family history, I'd theoretically be comfy just waiting it out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jenny (27) partner to Michael (28) mama to Zoe (8) Selene (4) Garvin (2) and baby Gwendolyn (born 14 Jan 2011)
#25 of 61 Old 09-12-2010, 11:11 PM

I'm struggling with this now... BUT I have a complication thrown in... GD.. that has gone from well managed to not so weel managed as my body does not handle the glyburide well.

Under NORMAL circumstances I would probably be comfortable inducing at the end of 42 beginning of 43 weeks. In this circumstance with NSTs twice a weeks starting this week (39) I'm going till the end of week 40. I'll probably go in at 40 + 6. My doctor wanted to induce ON my due date! I was not comfortable with that... and she wasn't happy with me questioning her, but its my body and baby and as long as he's moving well and his heart rate is strong, I'm not worried going 1 week "late" even with the GD. I'd rather give my body that extra time to go into labor and give myself a better chance at the natural birth that I want.

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
#26 of 61 Old 09-12-2010, 11:15 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
I remember learning that the average gestation for first time mothers is 41 weeks + 1 day. Luckily, DC came sometime before the 41st week so I never had to make any of those tough choices. I'd like to say I could wait until the baby came but I think it would be very much about how I was feeling at the time. I'm fairly sure I could go until 42 weeks if everything felt good and I had the confidence of a care provider that I trusted.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#27 of 61 Old 09-12-2010, 11:48 PM

I have gone to 42 weeks with #1 and 42 weeks 6 days with #3. I was comfortable both times and so were my providers. With #3, my midwife and I decided that we would talk about an NST when I hit 43 weeks. But we didn't! She was my smallest baby too; I think she just needed to grow. She wasn't as wrinkly as my son so we may have been off by a few days too.

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
#28 of 61 Old 09-12-2010, 11:58 PM

Even ACOG (the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology) does NOT recommend inducing before 42 weeks.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1047180/the_lie_of_the_edd_why_your_due_date.html?cat=25

Do they follow their own recommendations? Rarely.

----

I was induced with DD @ 42 weeks exactly, after unsuccessful attempts at "natural induction". I was only at only 1cm, and my labor with 36 hours and very painful and traumatic (Cytotec, then Pitocin, plus back labor from a posterior baby). I do not feel she was ready.

I am having a homebirth next time, and if I had a healthy pregnancy, I would not consider medical induction before week 43 or 44.

-
#29 of 61 Old 09-13-2010, 12:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have no real concerns up to 42 weeks (obviously with routine MW care and no signs of any issues). Past that, I'd want more frequent checks and might have an u/s or NST depending on what my MW recommended. I'd certainly be working on natural labor stim by then and hope to be going no further than 43. But, I certainly know of babies born beyond that timeframe who did very well, so I'd be playing it by ear to be sure.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#30 of 61 Old 09-13-2010, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dichotomy View Post
Im not sure I think this is an entirely fair statement. In one aspect, your health care professional (be it OBGYN or Midwife) will likely know more than the lay person would about this subject. They do go to school for this sort of thing, and also need to take continuing education courses. Plus, a statement like that would suggest that a woman is putting blind faith in a stranger, when usually women will make an informed decision when it comes to choosing the person who will deliver her baby.

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page